Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 05:57 AM

20 posts, read 70,787 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are about a year away from retirement, and want to relocate from North Texas to a low humidity, moderate climate, smallish town with a somewhat liberal and friendly population. My husband would add "green" to the list, but I've finally convinced him that it doesn't usually go with low humidity. We can afford up to about $250,000 for a home in a safe, clean neighborhood. We want out of the big city environment but would like to be close enough to take advantage of hospitals, airports, etc. Love the idea of 4 seasons, but don't want extended winter. Some snow would be nice. Does such a place exist in Arizona, or elsewhere? We initially were thinking of the Texas Hill Country around Austin think it's just too humid in the summer. We also have been considering Albuquerque and Santa fe. Thought about Las Cruces, but a friend moved there and now lists her hometown as "Pile of Sand, NM", so based on her reports have taken it off the list. I have read lots of Az and NM forums and have heard good and bad about lots of places, so much so that I need to try and focus only on areas that are close to what we are looking for, nice climate, tolerant, and affordable for us. We would be great neighbors, and are looking for the same! Thanks for any advice you can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 10:40 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times
You described my old home town of Kingman to a tee. The only caveat would be airport access. While Kingman does have an airport, there are only a few commercial flights a day, mainly to other airports for connections. We always drove the 1 1/2 hours to the Las Vegas airport. Aside from that, I think you'd really love it there.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:59 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,698,705 times
Prescott would fit your bill too very nicely.
You can fly out of here, with limited service at our small airport, or take a shuttle service (also reasonable) or drive to the Phoenix airport about 100 miles away for better prices to all airlines.
We are 125 miles from the Grand Canyon, about 150 to the Las Vegas Strip and have enough shopping and medical services to keep most happy here.
We get a true 4 seasons here and the leaves are really nice right now. We also have several lakes in the area that are stocked with trout and the national forests border our town for trails and outdoors stuff.
The town of Prescott has lots of trees and is somewhat old fashioned that many like.
Another gentleman that is looking at moving here found many homes in your price bracket here just recently.
Here is our climate averages if you are interested. We do get snow here but not all that much and it does not last on the ground long. Monthly Averages for Prescott, AZ (86303) - weather.com
Good luck with your choices but visit where you plan to live before you move.
What fits one person's likes may not be yours.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:55 PM

76 posts, read 259,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clanman View Post
My husband and I are about a year away from retirement, and want to relocate from North Texas to a low humidity, moderate climate, smallish town with a somewhat liberal and friendly population. My husband would add "green" to the list, but I've finally convinced him that it doesn't usually go with low humidity. We can afford up to about $250,000 for a home in a safe, clean neighborhood. We want out of the big city environment but would like to be close enough to take advantage of hospitals, airports, etc. Love the idea of 4 seasons, but don't want extended winter. Some snow would be nice. Does such a place exist in Arizona, or elsewhere? We initially were thinking of the Texas Hill Country around Austin think it's just too humid in the summer. We also have been considering Albuquerque and Santa fe. Thought about Las Cruces, but a friend moved there and now lists her hometown as "Pile of Sand, NM", so based on her reports have taken it off the list. I have read lots of Az and NM forums and have heard good and bad about lots of places, so much so that I need to try and focus only on areas that are close to what we are looking for, nice climate, tolerant, and affordable for us. We would be great neighbors, and are looking for the same! Thanks for any advice you can give.
Take a look at Deming NM. All About Deming, New Mexico!

Old 10-17-2011, 07:13 PM

Thank you, Kdog, I handnt considered Kingman, I'll take a look at it! IndiangoldEagle, I see that you live in Az but are recommending Demming. I have been through Demming and must admit it seemed like it might not have the seasonal cool weather, but I'll look into it again! Keninaz, I was thinking of Prescott as a possibility, as well as Payson and Sedona. What do you think?

Old 10-17-2011, 07:45 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,698,705 times
Payson is a town we considered but it can get hotter there than Prescott at times. Been there when it was camping.
That same week my son-in-law needed the ER and I was not impressed with it or it's staff at the time.
The town is surrounded by national forest and as a result there is only so much land and if you are to trying to buy it was expensive when we looked in 2008 prior to moving from the SV area to get a true 4 seasons. Like you, we like a little snow.
And many of the outlying areas of Payson had big fences erected around the homes and land which really seemed to spoil the views to us. When I asked why those big fences of one homeowner he told me that anything less and the damned elk would just jump over them and he did not want to confront elk on his property.
And in retirement if you don't want to shovel it just sit back and enjoy it and it will be gone soon.
Sedona is not my type of town but many like it. They get lots of tourists through there just like Prescott does too. But you will find it's a little warmer I am thinking. Here are the averages for them. Average Weather for Sedona, AZ - Temperature and Precipitation

I see 3 month high averages for them in the mid 90s so you know the higher temperatures are higher than that for an average.
I already gave you the same websites link for Prescott averages earlier so you can compare.
We have found that the older we get that the less tolerance we have for higher temperatures. That is one of the reasons we left the Sierra Vista area as they can get highs just over that 100° mark at times even though they are at some 4400' average. We on the other hand are at 5400' and it does make a difference.

Last edited by keninaz; 10-17-2011 at 08:37 PM..

Old 10-18-2011, 09:43 AM

861 posts, read 2,192,102 times
Cottonwood would probably fit the bill, I would recommend my hometown of Safford but you might find it a little conservative for your tastes.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:20 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,799,667 times
Green Valley AZ might work for you. Close to Tucson and Tucson airport, but far enough away so you wouldn't know it. Winter days can get into the fifties mid-season with really cool nights (even below freezing at times). Summers are pretty warm (over 100 degrees daytime temps).

Nice residents and you could find a very comfortable home for your $250,000 dollars.

Best of luck,

Rich
(Cape Cod and Green Valley)

Old 10-24-2011, 07:13 PM

8,499 posts, read 8,794,511 times
Prescott and nearby & Payson are popular AZ options.

Ruidoso, Alamogordo, Silver City and east of Albuquerque and the Sandia Mountains are some worthwhile NM options.

In terms of greenery, more severe than usual drought appears to be a major challenge in the southwest near-term and perhaps longer. Some places might be worse off than others.

More drought info here:
http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/

Old 10-24-2011, 07:38 PM

RichCapeCod, thank you for the Green Valley suggestion. We've been through Tucson but have not visited Green Valley so we will check it out. I was checking out real estate sites too, and it seems that we might get more house for our money in Albuquerque, but that would be compared to what I'm seeing in Prescott and that area.

NW Crow, thanks for the additional ideas, we are definitely considering NM too. The drought is a concern, but I currently live in Texas and so we are experiencing the same thing. I love Az, but I have to admit that the political vibe coming from the state is troubling. How would the Albuquerque area compare?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona