Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 11:20 PM

615 posts, read 1,375,165 times

Advertisements

I see that the northeastern USA is expecting a big snowstorm this weekend, and it is still October.

In Arizona, we have outstanding weather, with daytime temperatures right now in the 80's F with no chance of snow. However, the economy in Arizona is very poor, with high unemployment, low wages, and declining home prices.

Why can't our economy, and other aspects of our quality of life, be as good as our climate in Arizona? What causes places like Arizona that have a great climate to have a poor quality of life in so many other areas, while places that have terrible climates have higher per-capita incomes and superior qualities of life in other areas?

Perhaps if an area has a bad climate, then this encourages people to work harder, and they achieve more in their careers and earn more money. On the other hand, if the weather is great, this encourages people to become lazy and less motivated to succeed. Could this be true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 11:21 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,551,757 times
The economy was great in Arizona until government crashed the housing market.

Now it's lousy all over.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:33 AM

308 posts, read 791,377 times
Go to the Northeast and see how "great" their economy is. It is tough all over. The manufacturing base that was in the NE when I was growing up is mostly gone now. Empty factories line the banks of the rivers. It is quite dreary.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:41 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
You could ask the same question about numerous places in CA, (without the hot summers)-- that state is awash in debt, with the same economic issues we have, magnified in many respects by the size of the population.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:42 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Times are hard almost everywhere unless your town is on top of an oil or gas field. Phoenix metro has lower unemployment numbers than Houston, Seattle, LA, SF, Denver, Portland, and San Diego metros to name a few. AZ was among the biggest job producers in the US prior to the recession and already in this weak recovery we are among the leading states for job growth. We'll come back strongly.

Aside from all that, one has to ask it the quality of life is so bad, why oh why have millions moved here in the last 30 years? I've said it fifty times, but outside of this forum I have run into very, very few people who don't like it here and want to leave.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 10-29-2011 at 12:52 PM..

Old 10-29-2011, 10:44 PM

Lightbulb Northeastern USA has lower unemployment and higher per capita income

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAinAZ View Post
Go to the Northeast and see how "great" their economy is. It is tough all over. The manufacturing base that was in the NE when I was growing up is mostly gone now. Empty factories line the banks of the rivers. It is quite dreary.
The economy is better in the Northeast than it is in Arizona. Here is the unemployment rate in each state, for Sept. 2011:

Unemployment Rates for States

Here is the list of states by per capita income:

Per Capita Personal Income by State — Infoplease.com

The unemployment rate in Arizona is 9.1%, and the per capita income for Arizona in 2010 was $34,999. In contrast, here are unemployment rates and per capita incomes for several leading Northeastern states:

Unemployment Per capita income
Connecticut 8.9% $56,001
Massachusetts 7.3% $51,552
New York 8.0% $48,821
Pennsylvania 8.3% $41,152
New Jersey 9.2% $50,781

In all of these states, except for New Jersey, the unemployment rate is lower, and the unemployment rate in NJ is only 0.1% higher than it is in Arizona. Every one of these states has higher per capita incomes, with the per capita income in Connecticut exceeding that in AZ by 60%

Therefore, the evidence shows that the economy in the major Northeastern states is better than it is in Arizona.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Aside from all that, one has to ask it the quality of life is so bad, why oh why have millions moved here in the last 30 years? I've said it fifty times, but outside of this forum I have run into very, very few people who don't like it here and want to leave.
People must be lazy or lack ambition, and would rather not work very hard. I want to work, work very hard and long hours, and earn lots of money.

I admire the people who are in the top 1% - I want to join them.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:50 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
The economy is better in the Northeast than it is in Arizona. Here is the unemployment rate in each state, for Sept. 2011:

Unemployment Rates for States

Here is the list of states by per capita income:

Per Capita Personal Income by State — Infoplease.com

The unemployment rate in Arizona is 9.1%, and the per capita income for Arizona in 2010 was $34,999. In contrast, here are unemployment rates and per capita incomes for several leading Northeastern states:

Unemployment Per capita income
Connecticut 8.9% $56,001
Massachusetts 7.3% $51,552
New York 8.0% $48,821
Pennsylvania 8.3% $41,152
New Jersey 9.2% $50,781

In all of these states, except for New Jersey, the unemployment rate is lower, and the unemployment rate in NJ is only 0.1% higher than it is in Arizona. Every one of these states has higher per capita incomes, with the per capita income in Connecticut exceeding that in AZ by 60%

Therefore, the evidence shows that the economy in the major Northeastern states is better than it is in Arizona.
They need that higher income for the higher cost of living. So, those figures in raw numbers don't tell the actual story.

That said, I don't see the point of this thread. A nice climate doesn't mean that everything else will be just as rosy. And, conversely, a less hospitable climate doesn't mean everything else will follow suit. (And, I can't help noticing that this thread started when the unseasonable heat ended. )

Old 10-30-2011, 07:34 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,224,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
They need that higher income for the higher cost of living. So, those figures in raw numbers don't tell the actual story.
This is very true. Just compare property taxes alone...

I have friends and family in NY (Long Island). Their annual property taxes range from approximately $10,000 to $17,000. This isn't for acres of property and this isn't for "the very best" neighborhood. Their houses are what I consider average in size (1200 to 2100 sf, most closer to the former), average in neighborhood, and their lots are all less than 1/4 acre - some much less.

To contrast, I also have what I consider an average size house and my property taxes are well under $2,000/year.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:31 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Remember, Highpointer . . .

THE GRASS ALWAYS LOOKS GREENER ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FENCE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona