Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 02:24 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,900,651 times

Advertisements

the last time i got a ticket for no insurance, i just showed the judge that i indeed had insurance, just not on the car i was driving at the time, and i explained that the car i had insurance on was down for repairs. the judge threw out the ticket. of course it did help that the prosecutor was a friend of mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 03:04 PM

603 posts, read 947,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernasty View Post
I don't know how AZ is, but I just moved from SC, and got pulled once there and accidentally handed the police officer an old copy of my insurance card (I had insurance, just forgot to swap out my old card). He said I could either pay the fine and get insurance, or if i already had insurance just go to the police station and show my proof of insurance to the clerk. I showed my insurance and they just threw away the ticket. No big deal.

I hope it's the same way here, although we didn't have all the damn red light cameras either, so who knows. Tucson sucks as far as that goes.
That's how it was in Ohio too.
I would think it should be the same way here, but after the nonsense we had to deal over proof of insurance with Arizona MVD after we moved back here I wouldn't assume it will be that simple.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:25 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,302,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobber91 View Post
yes
In Arizona??

Old 10-16-2012, 10:21 AM

4 posts, read 6,084 times
You do not need to have car insurance in Arizona so how could they give you a ticket?

Old 10-16-2012, 10:51 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,302,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obispoman50 View Post
You do not need to have car insurance in Arizona so how could they give you a ticket?
Arizona is a MANDATORY INSURANCE State.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Arizona is a MANDATORY INSURANCE State.
No it is not mandatory to have car insurance in Arizona. You could show financial responsiblity instead.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:01 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,248,663 times
yeah - there is a financial responsibility law that mandates coverage

Quote:
1) What is "mandatory insurance"?
Arizona requires that every motor vehicle operated on our roadways be covered by one of the statutory forms of financial responsibility, more commonly called liability insurance, through a company that is authorized to do business in Arizona. This includes golf carts, motorcycles and mopeds.

Minimum levels of financial responsibility are:
  • $15,000 bodily injury liability for one person and $30,000 for two or more persons
  • $10,000 property damage liability
Motor Vehicle Division

It's dictated by A.R.S. Chapter 28 - Title 9

Here is the definition of evidence

Quote:
28-4131. Definition of evidence
In this article, unless the context otherwise requires, "evidence" includes:
1. An original, a photocopy or a copy of a current and valid:
(a) Motor vehicle or automobile liability policy that meets the requirements of section 28-4009.
(b) Binder or certificate of motor vehicle or automobile liability insurance that meets the requirements of section 28-4009.
(c) Certificate of self-insurance issued by the department under article 1 of this chapter.
(d) Certificate of deposit that meets the requirements of section 28-4084.
(e) Motor vehicle insurance identification card issued by an authorized insurer or an authorized agent of the insurer for a motor vehicle or automobile liability policy that meets the requirements of section 28-4009.
(f) Certificate of insurance for a policy that meets the requirements of section 28-4033.
2. Designation of a motor vehicle as owned or leased by this state or any of its political subdivisions according to section 38-538.
3. A display on a wireless communication device of any item listed in paragraph 1 of this section.
Plenty more here:

Arizona Revised Statutes

Old 10-16-2012, 11:08 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,248,663 times
Quote:
No it is not mandatory to have car insurance in Arizona. You could show financial responsiblity instead.
financial responsibility is met through insurance

the ARS Chapter title is "Insurance and Financial Responsibility"

From the definitions in 28-4001

Quote:
7. "Proof of financial responsibility" means proof of ability to respond in damages for liability on account of accidents occurring after the effective date of the proof and arising out of the ownership, maintenance or use of a motor vehicle, in the amounts required by section 28-4009 or 28-4033.
You may self-insure per the following - however, it's still a process that needs to be certified by the director and creates additional requirement

Quote:
28-4007. Self-insurers
A. Except as provided in subsection E of this section, a person in whose name more than ten motor vehicles are registered or who is required to comply with the financial responsibility requirements prescribed in article 2 of this chapter may qualify as a self-insurer or partial self-insurer by obtaining a certificate of self-insurance or partial self-insurance issued by the director as provided in this section.

B. After determining that the person is financially able and will continue to be able to pay judgments obtained against the person, the director may issue a certificate of self-insurance or partial self-insurance.

C. On not less than five days' notice and after a hearing, the director may cancel a certificate of self-insurance or a certificate of partial self-insurance on reasonable grounds. For the purposes of this subsection, "reasonable grounds" includes any of the following circumstances:

1. Failure to pay a judgment within thirty days after the judgment becomes final.

2. Determination by the director that the person has not complied with the financial responsibility requirements of this chapter.

3. Determination by the director that the person knowingly submitted false information that is required by this chapter to this state, a political subdivision of this state, a court or a law enforcement agency.

4. Determination by the director that the person knowingly failed to respond within thirty days to a claim for damages for liability arising out of the ownership, maintenance or use of a motor vehicle.

5. Determination by the director that the person does not meet the bond requirements prescribed in section 28-4011.

D. A person who is required to comply with the financial responsibility requirements prescribed in article 2 of this chapter may file an application with the department for partial self-insurance to cover any portion of the financial responsibility requirements.

E. A person may also qualify as a self-insurer if the person is insured by a captive insurer that is domiciled and authorized by the department of insurance to transact business in this state and that provides coverage in an amount of at least that required by section 28-4033.

F. A person applying for self-insurance or partial self-insurance pursuant to this section shall comply with both of the following at the time of application:

1. The person shall submit evidence in a form prescribed by the director that the person is financially able and will continue to be able to pay the entire amount of self-insurance or partial self-insurance allowed by the director for judgments obtained against the person for liability arising out of the ownership, maintenance or use of a motor vehicle.

2. If applicable, the person shall submit evidence in a form prescribed by the director that the person has a valid insurance policy that meets the requirements prescribed in section 28-4033 and that is issued by an insurer that holds a valid certificate of authority or that is permitted to transact surplus lines insurance in this state.

G. The director may adopt rules to implement this section, including rules requiring additional evidence that the person meets the financial responsibility requirements of this chapter and rules providing for the periodic submission of evidence demonstrating that the person meets the standards required by the department to qualify as a self-insurer, a captive insurer or partial self-insurer.

H. The director of the department of transportation, in consultation with the director of the department of insurance, may establish procedures that allow a person to apply for and file a certificate of either partial self-insurance or self-insurance.

I. The director of the department of transportation, in consultation with the director of the department of insurance, shall establish procedures to exchange information regarding changes in the self-insurance status of persons who are subject to this section.
If you self insure, you will also need to purchase a surety bond - while technically a surety isn't insurance I think the "lay" use of the term "insurance" is more than adequete for this conversation...........

Quote:
A. A self-insurer or partial self-insurer shall file a bond with the director on a form approved by the director with a surety company authorized by the corporation commission to transact business in this state as surety on the bond. The self-insurer or partial self-insurer shall be the principal obligor and this state shall be the obligee on the bond. The bond shall be conditioned on the compliance by the self-insurer or partial self-insurer with laws governing motor carriers.

B. The director shall fix the total amount of the bond required of a self-insurer or partial self-insurer and may increase or reduce the amount at any time, subject to the limitations provided in this section. The bond required of a self-insurer or partial self-insurer shall be at least two hundred fifty thousand dollars.

C. A self-insurer or partial self-insurer may request in writing that the director reduce a bond required pursuant to this section. The director may reduce a bond if the director determines that the self-insurer or partial self-insurer has continuously complied with this article and the self-insurer or partial self-insurer has not incurred claims for accidents involving motor vehicles for at least the previous three consecutive years. If the director determines that the reduction of the bond would jeopardize public safety, the director may elect to retain the bond or may increase the bond amount required. A person who is aggrieved by a decision of the director pursuant to this subsection may appeal the decision by requesting a hearing.

D. If liability on the bond filed by the self-insurer or partial self-insurer with the director is discharged or reduced or if in the opinion of the director a surety on the bond given has become unsatisfactory or unacceptable, the director may require the self-insurer or partial self-insurer to file a new bond with satisfactory sureties in the same amount. If the self-insurer or partial self-insurer fails to file a new bond as required, the director shall cancel the person's certificate of self-insurance or partial self-insurance immediately. If a new bond is furnished by the self-insurer or partial self-insurer, the director shall cancel and surrender the bond for which the new bond is substituted.

E. If the director decides that the amount of the existing bond is insufficient to ensure the safety of the public and the director gives the self-insurer or partial self-insurer five days written notice mailed to the self-insurer's or partial self-insurer's last known address, on the written demand of the director, the self-insurer or partial self-insurer shall immediately file an additional bond in the same manner and form with a surety company on the bond approved by the director in an amount determined by the director as necessary to protect public safety at all times. If the self-insurer or partial self-insurer fails to file an additional bond as required, the director shall immediately cancel the certificate of self-insurance or partial self-insurance of the person.

F. A surety on a bond furnished by a self-insurer or partial self-insurer shall be released and discharged from all liability to this state accruing on the bond on the last day of the month that includes the sixtieth day after the date on which the surety files with the director a written request to be released and discharged. The request does not relieve, release or discharge the surety from liability already accrued or from liability that accrues before the last day of the month that includes the end of the sixty day period. On receipt of notice of the request, the director shall promptly notify the self-insurer or partial self-insurer who furnished the bond and shall immediately cancel the certificate of self-insurance or partial self-insurance of the person, unless the self-insurer or partial self-insurer, on or before the last day of the month that includes the end of the sixty day period, files with the director a new bond with a surety company satisfactory to the director in the amount and form provided in this section. If a new bond is furnished by the self-insurer or partial self-insurer, the director shall cancel and surrender the bond for which the new bond is substituted.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:22 AM

You're wrong! You do not need to have insurance.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:28 AM

603 posts, read 947,442 times
Quote:
You're wrong! You do not need to have insurance.
You were incorrect in your first post, but that obviously won't keep you from trying to figure out a way to argue that you're right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona