Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 03:24 PM

570 posts, read 1,002,280 times

Advertisements

I saw this map on another thread. County-by-county breakdown, shows what areas trend in what direction:

http://images.christianpost.com/blog...pg?w=640&h=380

Old 11-13-2012, 03:55 PM

490 posts, read 1,098,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX-PHX View Post
I think Observrer answered this question already but I think the answer is correct. The mormon presence in Clark County is nothing compared to that in the eastern Phoenix suburbs. Not even close. Plus the retirees in the Phoenix area tend be come from conservative areas of the upper midwest. Vegas seems to attract more active type people.
Las Vegas seems to attract those relocating from the Northeast (in particular NY, NJ, & PA) and Los Angeles County more so than Phoenix. Las Vegas is certainly more like "La-La Land" than Phoenix. In fact, I feel as though Las Vegas is more like a hybrid between the Northeast and Los Angeles. Again, I cannot say that with absolute certainty because I've only ever visited Las Vegas; I've never lived there. I'm just describing the vibe I got from the place while I was there.

However, I'm more familiar with Arizona than I am with Las Vegas and the rest of Nevada. It seems as though the Californians who end up relocating to Arizona instead of Las Vegas are usually from more conservative areas in California with stronger Republican influences such as San Diego County, Orange County, and the Inland Empire. Also, Phoenix probably attracts far more Midwesterners, who are usually inherently conservative, than Las Vegas. This is primarily due to the fact that Midwesterners would probably be uncomfortable living in Vegas with all of the glitz and glamour; liberal, irreligious atmosphere; and the general lack of morals and virtues among a significant proportion of the populous. Someone from Wichita wouldn't last a week in Vegas, whereas moving to Vegas wouldn't be as much of a culture shock for someone relocating from New York City or Miami. But, that's a no-brainer.

It seems like the folks from Northern California completely skip over Arizona and Nevada and head up to the Pacific Northwest; most likely because Northern California, like the Pacific Northwest, is very liberal and Democratic. Generally-speaking, those folks seem to be radically liberal. I don't think I could deal with that. Also, the weather in Northern California is more similar to the weather in the Pacific Northwest. That's probably the Pacific Northwest's other major attraction to Northern Californians. Good, Oregon and Washington can have ALL of them. From, like, Santa Barbara north and mostly hugging the coast... That's one wacky, cuckoo crowd.

For many years, Californians were migrating in droves to states like Arizona, Nevada, and Oregon: Three states with poor, lackluster economies that all sustained a pretty bad beating during the recession. But now, it seems as though Californians are skipping right over their immediate neighbors and choosing to relocate to states with much healthier economies than the three aforementioned states. Texas seems to be the emerging hotspot for Californians. But like New Englanders moving to places like Florida or Arizona or a New Yorker moving to South Carolina, most Californians would probably never last more than a few years in a state with as conservative an atmosphere and policies as Texas. Basically, what I'm saying is this: If you're from San Francisco, Sacramento, or Oakland; you're probably not going to make it in Dallas or Houston. LOL.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:20 PM

603 posts, read 946,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swbrotha100 View Post
I saw this map on another thread. County-by-county breakdown, shows what areas trend in what direction:

http://images.christianpost.com/blog...pg?w=640&h=380
It's amazing that so much of that map is red, yet it amounted to less than 48% of the voting population. That over 50% of the population appears to reside in those blue areas.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:47 PM

3,610 posts, read 1,206,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen431 View Post
It's amazing that so much of that map is red, yet it amounted to less than 48% of the voting population. That over 50% of the population appears to reside in those blue areas.
Here's a map that nicely illustrates the differential population density of the continental U.S.:

All sizes | USA Population Map | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

(On a completely separate note, you can get a good picture of how much of the relative population was affected by Hurricane Sandy).

Old 11-13-2012, 05:19 PM

353 posts, read 657,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
Las Vegas seems to attract those relocating from the Northeast (in particular NY, NJ, & PA) and Los Angeles County more so than Phoenix. Las Vegas is certainly more like "La-La Land" than Phoenix. In fact, I feel as though Las Vegas is more like a hybrid between the Northeast and Los Angeles. Again, I cannot say that with absolute certainty because I've only ever visited Las Vegas; I've never lived there. I'm just describing the vibe I got from the place while I was there.

However, I'm more familiar with Arizona than I am with Las Vegas and the rest of Nevada. It seems as though the Californians who end up relocating to Arizona instead of Las Vegas are usually from more conservative areas in California with stronger Republican influences such as San Diego County, Orange County, and the Inland Empire. Also, Phoenix probably attracts far more Midwesterners, who are usually inherently conservative, than Las Vegas. This is primarily due to the fact that Midwesterners would probably be uncomfortable living in Vegas with all of the glitz and glamour; liberal, irreligious atmosphere; and the general lack of morals and virtues among a significant proportion of the populous. Someone from Wichita wouldn't last a week in Vegas, whereas moving to Vegas wouldn't be as much of a culture shock for someone relocating from New York City or Miami. But, that's a no-brainer.

It seems like the folks from Northern California completely skip over Arizona and Nevada and head up to the Pacific Northwest; most likely because Northern California, like the Pacific Northwest, is very liberal and Democratic. Generally-speaking, those folks seem to be radically liberal. I don't think I could deal with that. Also, the weather in Northern California is more similar to the weather in the Pacific Northwest. That's probably the Pacific Northwest's other major attraction to Northern Californians. Good, Oregon and Washington can have ALL of them. From, like, Santa Barbara north and mostly hugging the coast... That's one wacky, cuckoo crowd.

For many years, Californians were migrating in droves to states like Arizona, Nevada, and Oregon: Three states with poor, lackluster economies that all sustained a pretty bad beating during the recession. But now, it seems as though Californians are skipping right over their immediate neighbors and choosing to relocate to states with much healthier economies than the three aforementioned states. Texas seems to be the emerging hotspot for Californians. But like New Englanders moving to places like Florida or Arizona or a New Yorker moving to South Carolina, most Californians would probably never last more than a few years in a state with as conservative an atmosphere and policies as Texas. Basically, what I'm saying is this: If you're from San Francisco, Sacramento, or Oakland; you're probably not going to make it in Dallas or Houston. LOL.
Those are some good observations. I agree with much of it. I think Vegas and Phoenix do attract people from the same part of the country but it does seem like Phoenix gets more people that want to get away from liberal politics and big city issues than those that go to Vegas. It does seem like a lot of Orange County types move to Phoenix and live in gated communities and want to be shut off from the world. I think at it's core Arizona is libertarian and other than LDS is not overly religious. It definitely is not run by evangelicals. However it seems like with Catholics from the east, Lutherans, etal from the Midwest form a coalition with the mormons to push laws and ideas that are out of touch with mainstream Arizonans. Unfortunately many fiscally conservative Arizonans who do not necessarily agree with the social conservatives overlook their differences to vote for someone with an R next to their name. And too many of the liberal types in Arizona don't even bother to get involved at all. General apathy leads to people like Jan Brewer and Joe Arpaio getting elected.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:39 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,178,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX-PHX View Post
I think Observrer answered this question already but I think the answer is correct. The mormon presence in Clark County is nothing compared to that in the eastern Phoenix suburbs. Not even close. Plus the retirees in the Phoenix area tend be come from conservative areas of the upper midwest. Vegas seems to attract more active type people.
Then good luck for Arizona. As a general rule people until the bracket born 1960-65 are more and more conservative. If these current and future retirees all move to Arizona, they will skew us in this direction. From 1965 on there is a clear and strong trend towards liberalism. My hunch is the peak of this trend is with the 2000-2010 born children, but it is too early to tell obviously. There is a huge contrast between the average 50 year old vs. the average Millenial. Ask a 50 year old about government and he will tell you: "Never trust the government." Ask a 25 year old and he will tell you it's time again for great civic and government-sponsored deeds - like we were able to in the 1940s and 1950s but then stopped with the Apollo program.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:48 AM

73 posts, read 147,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbad View Post
You feel that people should "progress" by agreeing with your political views? Isn't that kind of one dimensional....or, regressive thinking. Have you bothered to look at how much "red" was is those "blue" states? Our society is failing and you want to encourage AZ voters to join the rest of the "progressive" voters in the country. I'm sorry but joining what you deem (or, uh, dem) as the in crowd isn't going to do anything to progress our country ....my five year old has more sense than that. But, please do carry on...I had no idea marionette shows are back in vogue.
Breakingbad,

Yes I do want to see change. Yes I would like to see a mixture of conservative, libertarian and liberal thinking in this state. I don't like that conservatives feel like they have a right to this state. That it's taken for granted that we'll vote one way. And I'm sorry to tell you that our society is not failing. No place or society is perfect, and we can always find room for improvement, but that doesn't mean we are failing. If anything, we should be proud that we elected a black president, not once, but twice. We should be proud, that we are putting greed in check and not give it free rain on society. This country has so much to offer. I feel the reason of it's success is that it is balanced. It won't let itself be taken either way to the extreme. And that's why I would like to see a more balanced Arizona. Note, I didn't say I wanted to see Arizona blue (not that I would mind personally).

Old 11-14-2012, 04:07 PM

31,068 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I am an Arizona native, and we've always been a conservative state, and on both the Republican, and up until recent years, the Democratic side as well. I'm sure you know by now that most Democrats in the United States have gone too far to the left, that's why liberalism is not what we want in our state mainly because of the principles modern day Liberals stand for. Without getting into a political discussion, if you want to see what liberalism can lead to, look at some of the large cities in the states that are blue, like Chicago and San Francisco. I know those are extreme examples, but we don't want to see our state turn into those kind of, pardon the expression, cesspools.

If you like those kinds of extreme left cities/states, then nothing is stopping you to go live there.
I'm with you Mike. My family has been here and Southern Cal since the 1900s. We have always been Conservative, but in the way of Barry Goldwater, not some demonized bible thumpers: We have been for the most part Blue Dog Dems or Moderate Republicans that recognize the extremism of the Left as well as the Right. Would I change Phoenix or Arizona to look more like Blue states like Ill or Mass. Not on your life. Do we want Az be like Cal? I split time between both and I don't want AZ to turn into a California.

The other thing is, most of the trouble makers are from other states: Jan Brewer-Cal. Sheriff Joe-Mass. Brewer will be out next time around, Sheriff Joe proably won't be out but he's old and will probably retire soon.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:51 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,200,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post

People are saying they want Arizona to be progressive, so essentially you want it to be California? Which means a state in bankrupt that is being taken over by illegals and is becoming a dump. Arizona leaning conservative is a good thing, I like the state the way it is.

Yep, you definitely do not want AZ to become "Californicated"!

Old 11-14-2012, 07:30 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
I'm with you Mike. My family has been here and Southern Cal since the 1900s. We have always been Conservative, but in the way of Barry Goldwater, not some demonized bible thumpers: We have been for the most part Blue Dog Dems or Moderate Republicans that recognize the extremism of the Left as well as the Right. Would I change Phoenix or Arizona to look more like Blue states like Ill or Mass. Not on your life. Do we want Az be like Cal? I split time between both and I don't want AZ to turn into a California.

The other thing is, most of the trouble makers are from other states: Jan Brewer-Cal. Sheriff Joe-Mass. Brewer will be out next time around, Sheriff Joe proably won't be out but he's old and will probably retire soon.

Arpaio is from Massachusetts? He must have come here as a kid then. I don't hear any trace of Mass in his speech. Let alone anything else about him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona