Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 12:51 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,902,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
My stomach and ABC do not play well together hence my avoiding it while in the Kingman area.
OK. I will name it Alternating Barf Current, and avoid it, too. My friends will be disappointed in me, but I still like their old neon sign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 01:17 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
OK. I will name it Alternating Barf Current, and avoid it, too. My friends will be disappointed in me, but I still like their old neon sign.
Using Rambrush's link above, we can see that ABC was closed-down a year by the health department for health violations. By closed down, I mean the health department literally padlocks the door. Since then, they've received mediocre marks. I'd stay away just based on that. But all the locals in town have told us to stay clear anyway.

Strombolis was another restaurant shut down by the health deparment a year ago or so for numerous problems including holes in the walls where cockroaches and rats had free reign of the kitchen. No loss to us, as I was not impressed by their food anyway. That same owner also owned the Hot Rod Cafe, which was nice and cute, but had lousy service and terrible food. Now that same owner is opening a new evidently up-scale restaurant in town. I'd like to try it, but how can you trust an owner who obviously couldn't give a rats-patoot about sanitary conditions, much less any interest in good food?

Old 08-02-2009, 06:44 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,476,741 times
I just saw today in the paper about a Sicilian place coming in on Eastern which I believe is Kdogs Neighborhood. Now we will be waiting for a review.

Yes the county did indeed shut those places down and also a couple of others to get things up to par.

The county site is nice to check on, plus most counties in Arizona have a similar site for there particular county.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:03 PM

34 posts, read 91,018 times
Bangkok Thai, otherwise known as the "Thai Place Downtown" is great. Totally no ambiance but "to die for" curries. Also, the tofu is fabulous. Thai Beigin (the one behind Sonic) went downhill REALLY fast. For Mexican, I hear Mi Saritas is good but haven't been there - I like Oysters, which has really nice ambiance and friendly staff. El Palacio is pretty but their food didn't impress me. Mattina's is pretty much the only Italian in town other than glorified pizza parlors, which is a mute point anyway because its the best food in town. For pizza, I'm partial to Mr. D's - really great cheese and crust that tastes like crust should (ie - not white bread). ABC is just plain BAD - Lo's is right across the street and is our stop for Chinese. Rednecks BBQ (downtown) is decent. And since nobody's mentioned it - the Dambar is just pathetic. The last two times we've been there have been a disaster (don't ask me why we kept going back). Their beer is always flat, the plates are dirty and the service is awful. Kingman Steakhouse (in the Hastings Plaza) isn't terrible. Their ribs are a favorite of mine. The Lodge? Maybe I'm not ordering the right thing (I hear the beef is good) but it seems pretty generic to me - straight out of the box. And my vote for "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" is Alfonso's. Their breakfast burrito is brilliant.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:57 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaprix View Post
Bangkok Thai, otherwise known as the "Thai Place Downtown" is great. Totally no ambiance but "to die for" curries. Also, the tofu is fabulous. Thai Beigin (the one behind Sonic) went downhill REALLY fast. For Mexican, I hear Mi Saritas is good but haven't been there - I like Oysters, which has really nice ambiance and friendly staff. El Palacio is pretty but their food didn't impress me. Mattina's is pretty much the only Italian in town other than glorified pizza parlors, which is a mute point anyway because its the best food in town. For pizza, I'm partial to Mr. D's - really great cheese and crust that tastes like crust should (ie - not white bread). ABC is just plain BAD - Lo's is right across the street and is our stop for Chinese. Rednecks BBQ (downtown) is decent. And since nobody's mentioned it - the Dambar is just pathetic. The last two times we've been there have been a disaster (don't ask me why we kept going back). Their beer is always flat, the plates are dirty and the service is awful. Kingman Steakhouse (in the Hastings Plaza) isn't terrible. Their ribs are a favorite of mine. The Lodge? Maybe I'm not ordering the right thing (I hear the beef is good) but it seems pretty generic to me - straight out of the box. And my vote for "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" is Alfonso's. Their breakfast burrito is brilliant.
Thank for the brain nudge: Lo's Chinese food is quite decent---------that was the place I spoke of a few posts back.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaprix View Post
And my vote for "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" is Alfonso's. Their breakfast burrito is brilliant.
Personally, I try not to frequent places that consistently get bad ratings by the health department. County of Mohave, Arizona - Health -Restaurant Inspections
Yeah, their food is authentic all right, even including the Montezuma's revenge you get after eating it. Most of the long time natives in town that I know won't even eat there for that reason.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:23 AM

1,658 posts, read 2,695,105 times
In spite of its history with the health department, we never became ill after eating at Alfonso's. However, the food was way too salty for our taste and we stopped eating there. We did get sick after eating breakfast at the Golden Corral, though.

We thought that the Kingmam Steakhouse was overpriced for the size of the portions, and service was always "fair." El Palacio has good food and great service, but you can get the same thing at Mi Sarita's for a lot less money.

Apparently Oysters is popular, but we weren't impressed and never went back. The Thai restaurant downtown gets rave reviews, but my memories as a pest control tech prevent me from ever eating at a Thai restaurant.

The Cracker Barrel is OK, but it's usually very busy with the bus traffic. The IHOP is seldom busy, but we saw few regulars when dining there. That place must have a bad history with this town. After being ignored for 15 minutes when there was only one other couple there, we took the cue and never went back.

ABC's prices are good, but the food is below par; often cold and always greasy. We went to the new Chinese restaurant by Sonic when it opened, and they ran out food. We returned two weeks later and were very disappointed. The food was fair, but the service was terrible. The coffee tasted like tea (maybe it was.)

Stromboli's does a good lunch business, so we tried the pizza one time and it wasn't very good. The Brunswick is great for when guests come to town but, otherwise, it was out of our price range.

Kingman has very limited dining options, which is why so many diners travel to laughlin, Henderson, or LV for a decent meal.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:35 AM

Bangkok Thai consistently gets EXCELLENT ratings across the board from the Health Department. Yours fears are unwarranted.

Chuy's is a great place for mexican grill and a beer.

And otherwise, you just listed a half-a-dozen mediocre restaurants in town as if they're the only places to eat. They're not.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:02 PM

260 posts, read 511,727 times
I try not to eat in restaurants if they use canola oil for cooking.
And if anyone dont want to live a long and healty life, just eat a lot of canola oil.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:14 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,902,551 times
Mr. D's is okay, but I didn't find a "fountain made" cherry smash, vanilla coke, or grilled cheese sandwich on the menu. We are talking authentic 50's food. I remember having a malted milk (way back in the 50's) and the waitress left the big stainless steel blender cup by my glass, so that I got all of the shake. I could stand a straw up in the shake, it was so thick. The old grilled cheese sandwiches were made with really good cheese, not that runny stuff. There was a side order of potato chips, or fries, and dill pickles, crinkle cut. And the sundaes looked exactly like they did on the menu. Real whipped cream, not that flat low cal dairy imitation stuff. And on a sundae, stale nuts are a no-no. They must be crunchy, and fresh. The little xtras make the difference. Quality x-tras.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona