Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 09:35 PM

138 posts, read 328,388 times

Advertisements

It would have been easier to have just shortened your post to "Where's a good place to live in Arizona around educated, patriotic, non-racist people such as myself? Side note: I'm not white".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 10:08 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times
Smile We were made

God has a sense of humor. He made us - all different and all colors - and all types. It's so we don't get bored.

Can you imagine how boring it would be if everyone was the same?

Old 10-11-2013, 07:31 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,700,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyexpat View Post

MY POINT:

I want to leave this CULTURE of segragation that we have here in the EAST COAST. Because it's a lie. It's liberal in politics but it's a lie. The East Coast is segregated as anything, and "I'm out!"
Don't want to have kids here.

Are there anymore Americans that will welcome someone that is American, just that he/she is not of the same race? I choose Arizona because even though the media here in New Jersey hates on Arizona, I have heard that "my own People" that have moved down there Like it there. Though transportation is another issue.

I want to live next to smart, loving, kind, Americans. I don't give a rat's ass if I ever live next to people that are my "own people" or next to people that "look like me." And I don't give a rat's ass if I ever go to a restaurant that serves "my peoples food."

Are there places in Arizona where they think progressively and welcome American's that may not be their stereotypical definition of what an American should look like???

Thank you for reading, and if you do, thanks for answering.
Ah yes the miserable east coast. Home of nightmarish winters and equally nightmarish Washington DC.

Self-Segregation seems to be a popular event around the country. The people of California love self-segregating themselves all over the place. Arizona? I believe it's more luck of the draw. My grandparents came here a while ago and they are two different kinds of Americans. Color? Religion? Football teams? I don't have to answer that. But two different kinds of Americans. They never tell me of any issues they had moving here.

I'll be honest. My list for Phoenix is really short, but of one of the things I like is the diversity. I love the fact I see mixed couples all the time. I love the fact that most the central Phoenix area, 16th to 7th st, is considered the gay area. I like the fact both of those groups can be open about it and not really worry about it. I love the fact I never have to hear consistent racist terms or situations on a constant basis, unlike California. Sure, you might hear it, but for the most part you won't.

As far as work... you'll have to really prove yourself here. Experience first, education second.

The pay is much lower then any place else, COL is really irrelevant when it comes to anything beyond rent.

That's my experience.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:00 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,773,203 times
I felt that racial tension when we visited jersey/NYC this past spring. Arizona is much more warm and people don't care where you're from just so long as your a cool person.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:25 AM

10 posts, read 18,786 times
You put up some good questions my man.I will tell you this, I was living on Long Island NY and had the same dream as you and in the end I moved to Arizona.Best move I ever did.I was born in Portugal so I fit in rather well in Arizona.As for you, I would do as other folks have advised...start off by looking into relocating to the big city areas.Then once you get a feel for AZ, you can move around.I stayed in Tucson myself but Flagstaff would be my dream town.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:56 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,436,354 times
I've been here since 89, I'm white...I was born and raised in NJ. I've been all over and no place was more racist tham NJ. People of all races get along fine out herr, don't believe the bs you read in the out of state media...that's all politics a.d not reality. I've never seen or heard racism since moving here....in NJ it was blatant.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:20 PM

347 posts, read 491,898 times
I was about to abandon my posting and not visit again. After a week I logged back in.
Thank you to all of those that can relate and for being supportive.
I probably should have posted something that seemed more Politically Correct but I am not trying to be cute and I wanted those that read my post to know my philosophy.
I don't know why the East Coast has racial problems, when everyone "CELEBRATES" how "DIVERSE" it is?
I have been from Massachusetts, New jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Georgia, all the way to Florida and it's more of the same meanness.
Although Connecticut for some reason, more often than not, doesn't seem to suffer from that meanness.

In the media Arizona is touted as a place where the crazy John McCain is from and he's a racist and so is Arizona. I am well aware that racism is everywhere, but I know it's alive in Jersey and I have experienced verbal and physical racism blatant, implied, or otherwise, and I still do. I have even experienced hate from my own people. This tells me that it's more of a CULTURE of MISTRUST mixed in with all the trappings of "GETTING THAT PAPER!" And RACE is the most easiest thing we can judge each other on. Not to mention the size of New Jersey on the map is 8 times smaller than a state like Arizona.

Which leads me to Arizona. I have heard stories about how many people of color move down there and love it, even though many of their neighbors, if not all, are White and do not look like them. One complaint though is that everything is spaced far apart.

I have a theory why they celebrate the east coast so much is that they need people to support the CASH COW that is TAXES here. So it's a two edged sword: You come here to live and pay high taxes, while everyone, even your own people hate on you.

I more or less want to escape the culture here in exchange for something ENTIRELY different EVEN IF I am the only one of COLOR. I was going to choose California, but the taxes are killer there and I am sure it's no different than NYC or NJ. Nevada is not on my list because I don't want my future kids being brought up around a culture of gambling life, even though it would be cheaper tax wise. Oregon and washington are out because too far up north weather wise. Texas is too booming that I fear sooner or later taxes will catch up with demand, if they have not all ready.

Using city-data info paired with people's stories of their experiences leaves AZ as a really likely choice. But yeah thanks for replying to this post. I plan a visit soon.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:23 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Crazy John McCain? Racist? I have a lot of issues with McCain, but I don't think he's a racist, nor do I think that's a widely held view. I also don't think he's "crazy". I think you must be thinking of someone else. Joe Arpaio, I suspect.

Yes, Arizona is very different from New York. Come visit, and see what you think. You will not be the only person of color.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:30 PM

347 posts, read 491,898 times
Yes, the media here does not support John McCain. And they make their opinions well know here. In fact they bully you and FORCE it down your throat.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:32 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyexpat View Post
Yes, the media here does not support John McCain. And they make their opinions well know here. In fact they bully you and FORCE it down your throat.
Let's stop talking about where you are NOW. This is an AZ forum. I get that you are not happy where you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona