Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 07:41 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,085,200 times

Advertisements

Phoenix is overdue for a population implosion.
Flush If You Love Phoenix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 11:49 AM

6 posts, read 6,752 times
1) We live in the desert this happens from time to time 2) Most of CA is not a desert, just the southern end but CA is so GREEN they don't want to build their own utilities that's too bad. Also, why don't they work on desalination plants they could pipe ocean water to Phoenix for a change. It's really crazy when you think that CA is relying on the Colorado River for so much of their water.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:06 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,824,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyny View Post
1) We live in the desert this happens from time to time 2) Most of CA is not a desert, just the southern end but CA is so GREEN they don't want to build their own utilities that's too bad. Also, why don't they work on desalination plants they could pipe ocean water to Phoenix for a change. It's really crazy when you think that CA is relying on the Colorado River for so much of their water.
A Desalination Plan is being built in Carlsbad, CA which is in San Diego County. It took ten years to get it permitted and three years to be built. It should be up and running May of 2016.

I think eventually there will be more Desalination plants along the coast of California. I am talking 10-20 years from now. Permitting takes forever and the Environmental Groups, sue, sue, sue and delay the projects. Here is the link so you can read/learn about the plant being built.

Carlsbad Desalination Project | Home

Old 02-25-2014, 01:20 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,432,751 times
Can you provide a link with these numbers?
Agri is big business in CA, what did you eat this week? And are you willing to eat corn and soy 7 days a week, that's just about all they grow in the rest of the country.....

Barges use thousands of miles rivers and lakes, stop al barge traffic... what a waste...

Old 02-25-2014, 09:17 PM

472 posts, read 668,897 times
If the government can build a pipeline from Los Angeles to southern Nevada, and pump the ocean water to make a lake there, it will increase the precipitation of the whole southwest.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fengxg View Post
If the government can build a pipeline from Los Angeles to southern Nevada, and pump the ocean water to make a lake there, it will increase the precipitation of the whole southwest.
Hmmm I don't think that is likely. California will develop their own local supply from the Pacific ocean. Then Southern California won't need as much water from the Colorado River. That will free up more water for Arizona. I work in water, read all the articles daily and there are no plans to build a pipeline from Los Angeles to Southern Nevada.

The Desalination Plant in Carlsbad will only supply 7% of the water to San Diego County. The plants won't produce enough to supply California. There won't be enough left over to ship water to Arizona or Nevada. Not to mention the cost to build those pipelines so that idea is not feasible.

Reducing California's dependence on the Colorado River is a win/win for Arizona though.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:02 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,178,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyinca View Post
A Desalination Plan is being built in Carlsbad, CA which is in San Diego County. It took ten years to get it permitted and three years to be built. It should be up and running May of 2016.

I think eventually there will be more Desalination plants along the coast of California. I am talking 10-20 years from now. Permitting takes forever and the Environmental Groups, sue, sue, sue and delay the projects. Here is the link so you can read/learn about the plant being built.

Carlsbad Desalination Project | Home
Why would you sue against a seawater desalination plant? That's mind boggling. What are you going to sue for next? The sun for sending us UV light?

Old 02-26-2014, 12:02 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
^Someone hasn't been introduced to the omnipresent, anti-development NIMBY's along the California coastline!

Old 02-26-2014, 12:38 AM

861 posts, read 2,191,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
^Someone hasn't been introduced to the omnipresent, anti-development NIMBY's along the California coastline!
NIMBY's love solar, wind, and all sorts of other alternative energies....as long as they don't impede their view of the mountains, desert, surf etc.

Put them where folks are powerless and poor, and have no resources like the liberal aristocracy to fight them.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
Why would you sue against a seawater desalination plant? That's mind boggling. What are you going to sue for next? The sun for sending us UV light?
They prefer conservation. But you can only conserve so much. They want lawns outlawed. They worry about the fish. It is pretty complicated. Yes they would sue the sun if the sun had a deep pocket. I have had melanoma. Where is my pay off? I need to sue the sun! I am getting off topic. I did not want Arizona to think a pipeline would be coming from the ocean, won't happen. Southern California will be more independent with their own local supply (the ocean).

Good news Southern CA will finally get some rain this weekend. Drought won't end but some rain is better than no rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona