Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 05:24 PM

358 posts, read 886,756 times

Advertisements

A close business acquaintance and friend has a daughter who is about to become a music teacher. She is considering possible positions with schools in Bisbee and Somerton (Yuma). I am trying to help them find information about the two places and we have found the basics. Bisbee is an historic mining town turned into a hippy town in the 1970s and then discovered by yuppies in the 1990s. It is quirky, artistic, secluded, small and gets very little rain. There is a huge pit nearby from copper mining. It is hilly with shrubbery but no trees or grass and gets only a tiny bit of cold/snow. It seems to have a bit of a nightlife, but not necessarily a young crowd.

Somerton is apparently a suburb of Yuma. It is primarily Hispanic (not a problem, just a culture adjustment). Yuma is bigger than Bisbee, hotter and appears to be flatter and more like a desert(?), has a military base, and apparently attracts a lot of older Canadians during the winter.

Both are very close to the Mexican border. Surprisingly, neither appears to have a serious crime problem or involvement in drug trafficking. Naturally she would visit both if she decides to choose one of the two (assuming she has a choice), but it is difficult to gather much information from a single visit, especially with limited experiences for comparison. It is unclear whether there is much to do in the area. One resident said the best thing about Yuma is it has a Wallmart.

His daughter is very sweet, energetic, somewhat naive, young (22), extremely intelligent and sings so beautifully you want to cry. She is not a partier, does not use marijuana or other recreational drugs, samples alcohol from time to time. She mostly likes cute things like children and puppies and owls and of course singing and playing instruments. She comes from an upper middle class family in the northern Midwest and she does not love the snow. Her compensation will be very little in either place (around $27,000 - 33,000). She is used to forests, lakes streams and open space, but she is not the outdoorsy type, so the shrubbery desert environs will not likely be a problem. She is single and will be starting out with next to nothing. Her car is about kaput, so she will have to buy a car or motorbike (or can you get by with a bicycle?). She is really interested in new experiences and living somewhere different from what she is accustomed to. As far as I know she has never lived at any significant distance from her family and they seem very close, so that will be a big adjustment. From what I can gather, her entire life (friends, hobbies, social time etc. is centered around music, otherwise she spends some time with internet and television).

If you are familiar with those two areas, do you have any suggestions or comments for a person as described?

What is the likelihood of finding decent affordable apartments and/or roommates?

Thank you for your comments.

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 07:09 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
Anywhere you move to in Arizona you will need a car. It's darn near impossible to live in this state without one. If I had to pick between the two towns it would be Bisbee hands down. Close enough to Tucson if you want some culture on the weekends and want to stock up on groceries. The weather is a lot better and it is very artsy. If she wants to go see forests and trees it's not that far away to Chiricahua National Monument and the Chiricahua Mountains. It's a desert "sky island" with cooler temps and vegetation like you would see further north including pine trees.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:14 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Anywhere you move to in Arizona you will need a car. It's darn near impossible to live in this state without one. If I had to pick between the two towns it would be Bisbee hands down. Close enough to Tucson if you want some culture on the weekends and want to stock up on groceries. The weather is a lot better and it is very artsy. If she wants to go see forests and trees it's not that far away to Chiricahua National Monument and the Chiricahua Mountains. It's a desert "sky island" with cooler temps and vegetation like you would see further north including pine trees.
Agreed and Sierra Vista ain't far at all from Bisbee for most big shopping.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Agreed and Sierra Vista ain't far at all from Bisbee for most big shopping. Too; Bisbee is pretty darn green compared to Yuma but Yuma's winters are def warmer like as in NO snow at all.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:18 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
Yuma has a Marine base and Sierra Vista down the road from Bisbee has an Army base. Does she prefer Marines or soldiers from a dating perspective?

Old 04-13-2014, 07:25 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,892,835 times
To compare the two in my perspective,Bisbee is a higher elevation, mild weather, charming town with an eclectic Old West character with a little bohemia mixed in. Yuma is like a bedouin outpost in the heart of the Sahara. If you want hot low desert that can be beautiful but severe, Yuma is the place. I happen to love desert and wouldn't say Yuma is a bad place but knowing how hard it can be to acclimate to the heat I'd be cautious about moving there.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
To compare the two in my perspective,Bisbee is a higher elevation, mild weather, charming town with an eclectic Old West character with a little bohemia mixed in. Yuma is like a bedouin outpost in the heart of the Sahara. If you want hot low desert that can be beautiful but severe, Yuma is the place. I happen to love desert and wouldn't say Yuma is a bad place but knowing how hard it can be to acclimate to the heat I'd be cautious about moving there.
Agreed tho Yuma does have a river so it's not totally "desert".

Old 04-13-2014, 08:07 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Somerton (correct spelling) is not really a suburb of Yuma, as they are several miles of desert apart. For a young single woman (and I speak from prior experience with a different AZ small town when I was that age) Bisbee wins hands down.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:23 PM

455 posts, read 1,499,493 times
Of the 2, Bisbee is a better choice.
Somerton is nothing more than a crossroads town populated mostly by farmworkers. There is little to no shopping there, most of that will be in Yuma or San Luis/Son (Mexico) Your friends daughter will most likely have to find a place to live in Yuma because there isn't much to choose from in Somerton. The town has grown a lot in the last 10 years, but mostly as a bedroom community for the surrounding area.
Also, unless she is bilingual, she will have quite a learning curve in the classroom.
My daughter grew up in Yuma and was 22 when she started teaching there (High School) She did alright because of her background, but she eventually moved to Tucson because she was tired of the lack of activities for someone her age.
I'm not a Yuma hater as so many on here seem to be. It's a great place to live but its not for everyone. I don't know much about Bisbee, so I cannot compare them.
My wife and I are former Yuma teachers, with 30 years (each) in the school districts there. Feel free to PM me for more info if you want.

Curly

Old 04-14-2014, 01:30 PM

4,602 posts, read 6,364,058 times
You've done your research...kudos.

Placing myself in her shoes, I'd agree with the Bisbee vote....and I live in Yuma. As Curly said, Somerton is a crossroads town/bedroom community for Yuma....minimal shopping, nothing to speak of there...But trust me, Yuma has more going for it than WalMart....
Bisbee might offer more in the way of renting a room in a yuppie home in the downtown canyon area....I would imagine a lot of folks might be looking for added income to offset their lifestyle choice....other than tourist economy $$$, Bisbee doesn't have much going for it either.

Regards
Gemstone1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona