Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 11:58 PM

106 posts, read 246,771 times

Advertisements

I'm currently an ASU student from California, and I want to vote in AZ for the 2014 gubernatorial. However, every form I find requires an Arizona Driver's License or ID number. My question is, can I legally obtain an Arizona ID card while still holding a California Driver's License if I'm a resident of Arizona for most of the year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 03:44 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,178,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctacity View Post
I'm currently an ASU student from California, and I want to vote in AZ for the 2014 gubernatorial. However, every form I find requires an Arizona Driver's License or ID number. My question is, can I legally obtain an Arizona ID card while still holding a California Driver's License if I'm a resident of Arizona for most of the year?
Thanks for taking the initiative to vote even under harder than usual circumstances. I found a guide from 2012 for out of state student voting in Arizona. I guess it's still valid today.

Student Voting Guide | Arizona | Brennan Center for Justice

Registration

The voter registration deadline is 29 days before Election Day.[1] The last day to register for the 2012 general election is October 9, 2012. In Arizona you can register to vote if you will be 18 by the next general election.[2] You can register to vote in person at the county clerk’s office, at the department of motor vehicles, by mail, or online.

Residency

In Arizona, you must be a resident of the state for the 29 days preceding Election Day in order to vote.

Identification

Your student ID will count as a valid voter ID if it has your current voting address on it and is issued by a state college or university.

There is more in the guide.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:57 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,655,088 times
You are a California resident. Why do you think you should vote in Arizona? Why are you wanting to "legally" get an ID card to do something illegal?

If you want to be an Arizona resident get an Arizona license. Have your address changed on EVERYTHING to Arizona. If you aren't willing to do that you have no business voting here.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:00 AM

710 posts, read 3,392,140 times
I agree thinkalot, but the fact is that OP can vote here. It's a shame, and I had a reply typed up, but CD wouldn't let it stand, i'm sure.

OP and his/her ilk are fans of the "rock the vote" nonsense. There are organizations on college campuses that will tell students where their vote counts most in close elections... Their home states, or the one in which they attend school. It's a travesty, but not the biggest mess in our voter registration laws.

I hate that a CA resident is able to vote in what could be a close AZ governor's race, but it is what it is...

Old 05-19-2014, 08:44 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
would a student count a "resident"?

Old 05-23-2014, 01:44 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,718,069 times
If you were a Tea Partying Republican holding dual residences in Sun City, Sun City West for example and the upper mid-west and wanted to vote it wouldn't be a problem even though you might be here only three months. However if you were a student here for 9 months and wanted to vote and were more than likely a Democrat then Arizona Officials might have a problem.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:51 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,224,111 times
You can't vote in state elections of states you're not a resident of. If you're paying non-resident tuition to ASU then you can't vote in Arizona and need to inquire about absentee voting in California.

An Arizona resident would be required to have a Arizona Drivers license.

It concerns me that college students would not be aware that you can't vote in a state you're not a resident of. What the heck are they learning in school these days, don't they take civics classes anymore?

Old 05-23-2014, 01:54 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,224,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
If you were a Tea Partying Republican holding dual residences in Sun City, Sun City West for example and the upper mid-west and wanted to vote it wouldn't be a problem even though you might be here only three months. However if you were a student here for 9 months and wanted to vote and were more than likely a Democrat then Arizona Officials might have a problem.
Remind me again which party is against Voter ID?

Old 05-28-2014, 05:10 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,866,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctacity View Post
The way I see it, you're a California resident, and if you're planning on moving back to California when you finish college, vote in your home state, not in Arizona.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:25 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,631,521 times
I have to agree with most of the responses. And it is NOT just an Arizona/California argument. Being an out-of-state college student does not/should not give one the priviledge to vote in TWO states. Perhaps that is why so many hot button issues are vote through in various states where the majority of the residents seems to be AGAINST the issue voted on. This should be considered a form of voter fraud, much like "dead people" voting and illegal aliens voting. Same goes for military people although I don't know of many military people (me included-former) wanting to vote in TWO states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: