Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 02:03 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,263,367 times

Advertisements

Depends a lot on what part of the state you're in. SE Arizona has some unique towns that are pretty in their own right, such as Bisbee nestled in the hills, and a downtown area that looks something like a tiny piece of San Francisco. I think even Patagonia has been able to retain some of their historic structures. But my idea of a pretty town is one of high elevation with lots of pines, fresh mountain air, plenty of lakes nearby, and cool summer temperatures. Those towns are found mostly in the White Mountains from Show Low eastward. Greer and Alpine are two that come to mind as fitting this description.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 08:16 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
There are many very nice small towns in AZ. Patagonia is realy relaxed, and very green.
Love Benson, it is very walk able, Has enough stores and a few restaurants. And is somewhat practible work wise.
But love the whole south east part.
Sedona is just busy, not my thing. And way out of reach financial.....
It would be hard to pick one town.
Pearce is something different, it is not a real town anymore, but it is very quiet endless views and you can feel the old west.
Just stand there if you get the oppertunity, it makes you calm and stress is not known
We really like Benson. However, though the backdrop is pretty impressive, the town itself is not that pretty in my opinion. The ongoing mural project by painter Doug Quarles is making some strides in that direction though.

From an architectural and setting standpoint, Bisbee is pretty cool and Tombstone - touristy as it is - has that old west look to it (really love the place).

Ken

Old 08-14-2014, 10:30 AM

266 posts, read 286,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Ok, after Sedona. That's a given.

I should have done a poll, perhaps, but I would rather have write in candidates. Make your case, and pics are welcome.
Sedona and Prescott are pretty nice towns. They also offer relief from the desert heat if you're trying to get away from it.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:23 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,100 times
I've always enjoyed the drive between Payson and Flagstaff on Highway 87, through to and turning north on Highway 209 (aka: Lake Mary Rd) to Flagstaff! The drive passes many beautiful little towns, villages and other landmarks including Long Valley, Pine, Strawberry, Happy Jack, Mormon Lake, etc, etc! The drive will take you through both the Tonto National Forest and the Coconino National Forest! Incredible views all along!

Old 08-15-2014, 05:12 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,892,327 times
My top towns that pretty natural scenery and the town itself would be:

Pine- pretty little forest valley next to the rim with the highway a good main drag

Prescott- courthouse square and the old neighborhoods around it with Knob Hill above

Superior- yeah its run down, but I like that. Its got old crumbling character in a really pretty sonoran desert valley with some beautiful mountains surrounding and lush sonoran flora.

Jerome- not too many places like it

Some towns with nice landscape:

Tanque Verde
Sunnyslope
Cave Creek
Apache Junction
Green Valley
Ajo

Some nice older neighborhoods/towns where the natural view isn't a strong point:

Globe-Miami
Adobe neighborhoods in the oldest parts of Tucson(Presidio?)
Wilcox
The last relic neighborhoods of old Tempe around Ash north and south of University

Old 08-19-2014, 12:40 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,092,454 times
None of the towns up on the rim are pretty, lol.

For mountain town, I think Young.

Old mining town, Clifton.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:23 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
None of the towns up on the rim are pretty, lol.

For mountain town, I think Young.

Old mining town, Clifton.
The surroundings are what is "pretty". The towns themselves are rather "quaint".

With all the rain we are having up here in the Verde Valley Sedona is going to be quite spectacular real quick. The luscious green against the red rocks...priceless! I can already see some of it from certain places in Cottonwood.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:41 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,716,722 times
Valle,AZ. Flintstones Bedrock Park with beautiful views of the SF Peaks and Red Butte located 30 miles from South Rim.

Old 08-20-2014, 10:27 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Theres something about Fountain Hills that gets me everytime. Its surrounded by beautiful mountains, and the neighborhoods are set into the rolling hills all over town, unlike most of the Valley which is as flat as a board.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:19 PM

2 posts, read 4,655 times
Other than Jerome, Sedona & Prescott, I like Seligman.
Some good places to eat and quiet. Off the 40 on old Rt. 66.
I like the drive from Seligman to the Grand Canyon Caverns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona