Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2014, 01:01 PM

2 posts, read 17,394 times

Advertisements

I'm from North Carolina, and maybe my family will have to move to Arizona because of my dad's job. But I'm little scared of the heat. I've always heard that it can get over 110!!! It's too damn hot!!!! But I never been there before, so I don't know what's really like. What do you guys from Arizona can tell me about the weather? It's really that bad? How could I get used and survive to the heat? Any tips or recommendations?

Thanks very much!!!

Old 10-14-2014, 01:25 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,982,810 times
All of Arizona is not a desert. Believe it or not it's green, gets cold and snows in some places.

Between Phoenix and Tucson there's over 2 million living in the desert. Yeah, it's hot. At least it's not always humid. I am from the Midwest. I prefer to Phoenix heat over Michigan's humid summer and bitterly cold and snowy winters.

You don't get "used to it". You can either hack it or you can't. Most fall into the previous. There's days when I just want the heat to go away but overall it's not that bad. Drink water, wear sunblock and cover your head. That is, of course, you move to the desert.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:34 PM

612 posts, read 1,020,639 times
The hottest major city in Arizona is Phoenix, which is huge ... 4.2 million people huge, so the short answer is "no," it is clearly not unbearable. But it can be bad.

First off, where in Arizona are you moving? One assumes it is either Tucson or Phoenix, with Phoenix more likely. Tucson is a little cooler, being a bit higher in elevation. If you are moving elsewhere, say Flagstaff, you might be surprised to find yourself in cool, forested mountains and often wishing it was warmer!

The first thing you will notice, coming from North Carolina is the near total lack of humidity. Don't be surprised if you experience dry skin and even nose bleeds at first. Remember to drink more water than you're used to. But that dryness is your salvation in the heat - unlike humid areas, all you need in the 100 degree heat is shade and a fan ... it helps immensely. The hottest days in Arizona will feel only subtly hotter than the hottest days in North Carolina. The larger issue is the longevity of the hot season starting in the early spring and often running into the fall.

Second you'll note the sheer intensity of the sun ... Arizona is the skin cancer capital of the country with good reason. Use sun screen! The UV intensity is off the charts most days and take it from a kid who grew up there, biopsy scars are just not cool at the beach!

Finally, you'll get used to it. When it's not summer the weather is awesome, and even in the dead of summer the mornings and evenings can be magnificent. It isn't as tough Arizonans are a particularly tough breed, better suited to the heat, it's just that they've learned to deal with it - which isn't a hard thing to do.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:41 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Where in AZ are you guys potentially relocating to? That makes all the difference? Flagstaff? Freezing winters with snow, mild summers. Phoenix? Mild winters and blistering summer heat. Dont let anyone kid you, its HOT. 115 degrees happens a few times a year, and when monsoons arrive, temps dip a bit, but humidity and dew point levels can get a bit high. Not NC high, but high for here. We saw 70% humidity with 70-degree dew points several mornings here during the monsoons. Tucson? Pretty hot, but not as bad as Phoenix in summer, due to its higher elevation. Yuma? Hotter than Phoenix. So you see? It all depends on where in AZ youll be at. Places like Prescott, Sedona, Williams, etc, will be cooler because theyre up higher, and their summers are marvelous.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:44 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,975,037 times
As a newbie to Arizona the Summers are hot but you will be surprised at how survivable they are. I won't lie, the heat will get to you but really only a few days out of the year. The rest of the time it will be hot but everything is air conditioned and your body acclimatizes quickly. Stuff you have to watch our for is burning your hands on your steering wheel and being careful to not leave easily meltable things in your car.

I spent a few years out in Michigan and the summer days that were in the high 80ies and above with humidity were way worse on my than a 110 day in Phoenix.

And as other posters have said, not all of Arizona is low desert. The Northern and Eastern parts of the state get Winters and usually average from 10-15 degrees cooler in the summer than Phoenix is on any given day.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:44 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
Have you ever been in a sauna? Sauna's are sometimes as hot as 120 degrees but it is not an unbearable or unpleasant experience because the humidity is low (i.e. dry heat).

I lived in Arizona many years. In the summer you don't go out much in the heat of day. You go out early in the morning, or later in the evening. And you absolutely do NOT buy a black car, have black vinyl upholstery or forget your "steering wheel towel". LOL

Oh and you don't go barefoot on asphalt either.

You just make a few adjustments, and it's fine. Nothing to worry about.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona