Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 07:57 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,944,101 times

Advertisements

Sounds pretty great no? Ok there's a catch...it's only if youre doing 10 MPH or less over the speed limit...11 MPH+ would still be a $250 ticket and points on your license.

It think this is already kind of a unwritten rule anyway though...cops rarely ever bother to pull you over unless youre going 11+ MPH over the speed limit, especially on highways.

Arizona bill: Some speeders would only face $15 fine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 08:39 PM

309 posts, read 367,346 times
Wow! just like your second paragraph states... it's more of an unwritten rule anyway, at least as far as I have observed... this seems to confirm it.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:44 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Don't those guys have anything more important to work on?

Old 03-06-2015, 11:54 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,470,276 times
Hint: Drive the speed limit, stay in your lane, make sure you car has all working parts in good working order that's safe for you and other drivers around you and I think the odds the "regime" will pick on you is pretty low. If one can't do this/afford this, perhaps living near and taking public transportation/not driving is a better alternative as I've heard Phoenix has a decent bus system.

I got my share of speeding tickets in my life, mainly in my younger years, because of no fault but my stupid self. End of story. I also got a ticket once for not having a front license plate in a state that required them. I wasn't happy getting them but I find it's easier to own up to them, realize I broke the law, and learn from my mistakes without blaming a "regime" and playing the victim game.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 03-07-2015 at 05:12 PM.. Reason: The post you replied to has been deleted.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:07 AM

498 posts, read 543,583 times
Why did a thread about speeding tickets get turned into a "cop hating thread" I'm sure there are plenty of those in the general forum.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:41 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,433,260 times
BOT. Isn't it more or less, 9 over your fine, 10 your mine....

And this cry baby, try to see the positive things in live, don't waste your life looking for the bad things, it is great out here......

Old 03-07-2015, 09:00 AM

445 posts, read 515,814 times
I have the utmost respect for police officers, and even count a few of them among my close friends. I think the majority of them aren't bad people and are legitimately trying to do the best job they can. But to pretend that there aren't bad ones out there is indeed naive. There's a lot of terrible people out there. Some are regular businessmen, some are gas station clerks, some are city utility workers, some are politicians, some are unemployed, and some are even cops.

The "don't break the law and you won't have problems" argument isn't always true as StAugustine has pointed out. The rules tend to be different for people of different races, socio-economic statuses, etc. I will say this however... If you don't want to get your ass kicked by the police, don't run from them or otherwise resist arrest. If you don't want to get shot by the police, don't fight with them. Those two seem pretty easy to me regardless of what race you are or how much money you have.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:41 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,647,404 times
I love this. I've passed cops going more than 10 over several times and they just say there. There already doesn't seem to be a large focus on speed limits enforcement. Given that, they really should enforce proper lane usage. Flowing traffic is far safer than congestion.

On somewhat unrelated note, there were cops out in downtown Scottsdale last night giving breathalyzers to people leaving bars and restaurants (if they wanted it) to show them what they would blow. The officer said while 0.08 is the legal limit, they use 0.05 as their rule of thumb and if they can prove impairment, you're going for a ride with them.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:56 AM

445 posts, read 515,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
On somewhat unrelated note, there were cops out in downtown Scottsdale last night giving breathalyzers to people leaving bars and restaurants (if they wanted it) to show them what they would blow. The officer said while 0.08 is the legal limit, they use 0.05 as their rule of thumb and if they can prove impairment, you're going for a ride with them.
This is really cool actually. You could make a really good argument that using resources to do this more often would have just as much of a preventative effect on drunk driving crashes as DUI checkpoints.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:48 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,762,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post

It think this is already kind of a unwritten rule anyway though...cops rarely ever bother to pull you over unless youre going 11+ MPH over the speed limit, especially on highways.

Arizona bill: Some speeders would only face $15 fine
I was ticketed near Casa Grande on I-10 going 81 in a 75. It was BS. This is why I rarely go over 5 mph of the speed limit. Just can't afford a ticket. However, if this law goes into effect, then SWEET!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona