Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 05:34 PM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times

Advertisements

I know several waitstaff at local mom and pop cafes. They work on the average of 6 hours per day and wait on 4-6 tables per hour. They all say they average about $5.00 per table per hour. Which means they are making around $180.00 per shift, $900.00 per 5 day week. So if you're doing your job, you're personable then you should be making a decent living.
And maybe some seniors stiff, so do others of all ages. Many seniors I know of tips are usually more than the average. We give 30 percent to our waitstaff.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:34 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,943,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
I know several waitstaff at local mom and pop cafes. They work on the average of 6 hours per day and wait on 4-6 tables per hour. They all say they average about $5.00 per table per hour. Which means they are making around $180.00 per shift, $900.00 per 5 day week. So if you're doing your job, you're personable then you should be making a decent living.
And maybe some seniors stiff, so do others of all ages. Many seniors I know of tips are usually more than the average. We give 30 percent to our waitstaff.

wow really? where is this mom and pop cafe at exactly? LOL

Old 11-14-2008, 11:39 PM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
wow really? where is this mom and pop cafe at exactly? LOL
I said several mom and pops. You can find them yourself if you really want to eat there. They are all over the valley. Friends in your area can tell you.
And they don't need to be mom and pop to get good tips. It's the good service and atmosphere. Some high end restaurants the servers make up to $500.00 a night.

Old 11-15-2008, 03:03 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
exactly, no one takes our money like they do here. you make more in nevada. i am no longer a waitress havent been in 6 yrs but i know it paid good up there. many people i know who had college educations went back to doing it cause it paid more.
My own daughter for awhile left the airline industry in Fl and went to work, only part time as a cocktail waitress at a resort hotel in Orlando..I wouldnt' even guess how much she made..Now that she is a little older she is back with the airlines.

Nita

Old 11-17-2008, 04:44 PM

50 posts, read 291,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micrguy View Post
This is a free country, if you do not like what your employers want to pay you, go get a different job. The unemployment rate is very, very low, so if you want to switch jobs and make more money now is the time to do it.
Bear in mind that waitstaff are usually unobserved for a few seconds while handling your meal.

And since you seem to be a "I tell it as I see it" sort of person, I have no doubt that you have unknowingly sampled the "secret sauce" on your meal a few times in your life.

Think about it.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:22 AM

2 posts, read 5,061 times
Default as if anyone cared anyway...

I moved to AZ in June and started making boxes. Self employment doesn't pay all that well, either, but it's more fulfilling spiritually. I am listed on etsy.com and velvetgarden.net. Maybe christmas will be better next year. The rest of you, keep on keepin' on, and I wish you all the best.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,467 times
Default This is what people should tip

Average service 18-20%, Above average service 21-25%, Excellent service 26% and above depending on how extraordinary the service is. The same rule can be applied for sub-par service. 17% or less depending on how crappy the service is.

This "opinion" is based on a combination of years of working every possible position within the restaurant/service industry as well as basic economics. With inflation and cost of living increases, the "standard" for tipping should increase as well. If you expect raises and bonuses at your job, people working for tips should be able to expect the same. I do believe that the restaurants should also be held accountable for these increases as well.

Dont forget, your tip should also reflect the original total of the bill. Just because you have a free entree coupon or a 1/2 off the bill coupon doesnt mean you should discount your servers tip by half either. That server still did their job regardless.

For those of you trying to use the argument, "What should i tip the cashier at the store, or the handyman as well!?!?!?" Get real! We are talking about the "service" industry jobs here. ie, people that dont get paid a full wage because they are expected to give exceptional service in order to recieve an exceptional gratitude from us in the form of cash! This works this way for a reason, because if servers were paid a full wage in return for serving the general public, one of two things would happen. Either A, there would be no one to serve you when you went out to eat or B, you would get some really crappy service!

Good luck with your arguments and good tipping

Old 12-28-2009, 06:52 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
This thread started in 2006. I think eveything that can be said, has been said. Closed.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: