Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 11:40 AM

127 posts, read 195,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Try driving in the snow, you've got it better than us in Denver. It will be interesting seeing how people while drive in Phoenix once I move down there next spring.
I've lived in snow states most of my life. Actually, people there have an excuse to drive like morons

Old 11-01-2015, 12:24 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,748,676 times
When this thread was posted I figured somebody would point to one of the eleventy-seven posts that already exhausted this subject and that would be the end of it. Eight pages later, apparently not.

Old 11-01-2015, 12:33 PM

127 posts, read 195,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
When this thread was posted I figured somebody would point to one of the eleventy-seven posts that already exhausted this subject and that would be the end of it. Eight pages later, apparently not.
just because it's been posted before it doesn't mean it can't be posted again. People join these forums everyday and actually like to comment on"current" topics. I can guarantee you at least 90% of the posts out there have been asked before already. The "snowbird arrival" thread already has 5 pages even though it's a topic that comes up all the time. Maybe I should go there and let everyone know how stupid they are for posting on a topic that has been asked for the past 10+ years.

Last edited by Disabledveteran1; 11-01-2015 at 12:42 PM..

Old 11-01-2015, 12:42 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,232,976 times
Since the topic is so clearly stated in the title it is funny how those that don't want to participate in the discussion still open the thread instead of just ignoring it. Then you have the ones that actually take the time to post and complain when ignoring it would have been so much easier.

Yesterday I was driving to work and there was a dump truck doing the speed limit or right under in the far left lane. It was wide open in front of this dump truck and traffic was all backed up behind him with people trying to merge right to pass him on the right which everyone was doing. I thought of this thread when I was approaching him to pass on right. When I get up to the side of the truck it is an ADOT truck and the driver is texting on his cell phone. If there wasn't such a traffic jam (that he had caused) I would have backed off and tried to find an identifier to turn him in.

Old 11-01-2015, 04:21 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,884,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disabledveteran1 View Post
just because it's been posted before it doesn't mean it can't be posted again. People join these forums everyday and actually like to comment on"current" topics. I can guarantee you at least 90% of the posts out there have been asked before already. The "snowbird arrival" thread already has 5 pages even though it's a topic that comes up all the time. Maybe I should go there and let everyone know how stupid they are for posting on a topic that has been asked for the past 10+ years.
I tire of the people who ask the same questions over and over even though (a) this platform provides a handy-dandy search feature where the question can be reviewed quite thoroughly, and (b) there's this wonderful thing out there called "Google". Someone who posts "what's the average high in Palm Springs in August" clearly wants to be spoon-fed and won't last more than 20 minutes in the heat before falling over.

...and as for the original topic at hand, you haven't lived until you've experienced snowbird season driving down Highway 111 here in the Coachella Valley. We don't have the benefit of those newfangled interstate highways (except for the 10 which passes by to our north) so all the snowbirds travel on 111, which has dozens upon dozens of stoplights and multitudes of little old ladies driving 15 MPH under the speed limit, perhaps because they can't see over the steering wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
why don't people get over when driving on the highway?-left-turn.jpg  

Old 11-01-2015, 04:49 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,748,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disabledveteran1 View Post
I don't have a problem with the thread, I was just surprised it got so much activity.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:47 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,631,611 times
Ask a Cop: HOV lanes not passing lanes but can be used

Straight from DPS. "ARS Title 28 do not define, identify or mandate for exclusive passing lanes anywhere in the Phoenix metro area." Also, "Passing traffic should not exceed the posted speed limit."

Bottom line: there is no passing lane in the Phoenix area.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:24 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,697,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post

Straight from DPS. "ARS Title 28 do not define, identify or mandate for exclusive passing lanes anywhere in the Phoenix metro area." Also, "Passing traffic should not exceed the posted speed limit."
Note the use of "exclusive" and also note that "passing lanes" are defined by signs that indicate their purpose. The same article that you quoted--or should I say quote mined to serve your own defective interpretation of the law--states:

Quote:
The only time you will see passing lanes are where they are marked with signs — typically along two lane highways (one lane in each cardinal direction). In some designated passing zones, a second lane will begin/open in order to allow for safe passing of slower vehicles in mountainous winding roads.
The discussion in this thread involves the law which requires "slower traffic" to "keep right", not "exclusive use of passing lanes". Anyone with a sliver of critical thinking skills ought to be able to figure this out.

Quote:
Bottom line: Nobody said there was, not even DPS or state statutes. This is about slower traffic keeping right, and you're not in Illinois anymore. If you are slower traffic, and/or holding up traffic and not already in the right lane (which, I'm guessing based on your rampant objections and refusal to acknowledge very simplistic laws in favor of making up your own, that you are), put your old Midwestern driving habits on hold for a minute and move over so the 100 people piled up behind you can go on their way.

Last edited by 43north87west; 11-03-2015 at 07:54 AM..

Old 11-03-2015, 07:51 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,884,396 times
Quote:

Gotta love the guy who gets in the left lane of the interstate and drives *exactly* the speed limit, no matter whether there's 500 cars behind him, just to teach everybody a lesson that there's "no passing lane".

Old 11-03-2015, 12:39 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,969,557 times
Quote:

You omitted an important phrase that follows that one.

Quote:
or a speed that is greater than reasonable and prudent

Moreover, this discussion is about the use of HOV lanes and about dedicated passing lanes, not of proper traffic flow which has been the topic of the discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona