Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 09:08 AM

1,286 posts, read 1,482,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab591 View Post
When I get a chance later, I'll pull some pictures off my phone and post them here.
Yes please do. I loved reading your thoughts and insight. Considering a potential move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 09:18 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,947,633 times
Photos from last week attached. I'm heading back up Tuesday afternoon, so I'll probably take some pictures Wednesday. Temps have gone back up to the 40's / 50's, and it's been nothing but sunny, so maybe the snow will be gone.
Attached Thumbnails
deciding whether to move to Sedona or Phoenix area for a new Job-20160202_081325_resized.jpg   deciding whether to move to Sedona or Phoenix area for a new Job-20160202_084828_resized.jpg   deciding whether to move to Sedona or Phoenix area for a new Job-20160202_090010_resized.jpg   deciding whether to move to Sedona or Phoenix area for a new Job-20160202_131736_resized.jpg  

Old 02-10-2016, 04:48 PM

22 posts, read 25,586 times
Quote:
Photos from last week attached. I'm heading back up Tuesday afternoon, so I'll probably take some pictures Wednesday. Temps have gone back up to the 40's / 50's, and it's been nothing but sunny, so maybe the snow will be gone.
Thank you!! This has given me a good idea of what flagstaff is like and I think Phoenixbis more my pace. I live in seattle now and love the city convience with the beauty of nature only a drive away.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:51 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,230,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
if you choose Sedona, you...might...have to live in nearby Cottonwood or another area several miles from Sedona because of the high housing cost right there in Sedona....there are several neighboring towns to choose from.....
A nurse can easily afford to live in Sedona, maybe not in a million dollar home but I live here and there are options!

Old 02-15-2016, 09:53 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,230,590 times
Quote:
If the nursing job can afford the cost of living increase, I'd go Sedona (or Village of Oak Creek). Sedona wins hands-down on outdoor hiking and scenery, and it's got all your basic amenities. Anything Sedona doesn't have is a short trip away in either Flagstaff or Prescott/Prescott Valley. Worst case, you might have to drive to Phoenix for something -- but it's not a far drive, and for the life of me I can't think of anything Phoenix has that can't be found in either of the 3 areas (except for top tier medical care, and an international airport).
Shopping and conveniences!

OP, I'd choose Sedona even if you tire of it after 3 years, like many do, then you can go down to Phoenix.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:32 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Once major factor you need to choose from is that Sedona can get around 22" of snow each winter but has cooler summers, while Phoenix gets incredibly hot in summer but rarely gets more than a trace of snow.

Old 04-20-2016, 02:45 PM

According to the City-Data data pages:
http://www.city-data.com/city/Sedona-Arizona.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Phoenix-Arizona.html

What planet are you from?

Sedona............................................ .............................Phoenix

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 04-20-2016 at 04:23 PM.. Reason: The post you replied to has been deleted. Your post edited.

Old 04-20-2016, 05:29 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,976,837 times
On Flagstaff, remember it is called "poverty with a view".

It is beautiful, but expensive. On a nursing salary you will be able to swing it no problem, but in other areas your dollars will take you farther.

One corrections though on an earlier post, the Prescott metro is bigger than Flagstaff. It has more shopping too and doesn't have some of the traffic problems the Flagstaff downtown has. It has pines and lakes and hiking, though not as pretty as Flagstaff it is still very nice. The only bummer about Prescott is it is really getting over-run with retirees. So is all of Arizona but Prescott seems to be graying out faster.

Either option would be a good choice among many potential good choices.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Once major factor you need to choose from is that Sedona can get around 22" of snow each winter but has cooler summers, while Phoenix gets incredibly hot in summer but rarely gets more than a trace of snow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
It appears there is something wrong with the City-Data information that I was quoting from. When I check the weather data at Intellicast - Sedona Historic Weather Averages in Arizona (86341) it says that the maximum average snowfall recorded for Sedona is only 0.7"

City-Data reports that same snowfall chart for nearby Prescott as well.When I check the Intellicast weather data for Prescott, AZ it shows the maximum average snow fall on record was 4.6", not 22".

That weather chart is believable for Flagstaff, which Intellicast reports to have a record average snowfall of 24.4" in March.

City Data shows 18" and 20" for Payson and Pine AZ, while Intellicast reports 5.8" for both.

I apologize for reporting sharing that bad data in my previous post. I was trying to be helpful. And I'm actually relieved to see that it is bad data because I too was thinking of moving to the area and those snowfall amounts were daunting.

I have reported the erroneous data to City-Data.

Last edited by CptnRn; 04-21-2016 at 09:45 AM..

Old 04-21-2016, 10:30 AM

138 posts, read 388,027 times
Funny, I was about to respond to the snow thing. Sedona gets a few small snowfalls a year with most melting in the next day or so (except on the north side of the hills). Every couple of years, there is a bigger fall of several inches that can stick around for a day or so. We had an 8-inch storm last year or the year before but that is pretty rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona