Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 08:09 AM

30,168 posts, read 11,803,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsoto1988 View Post
I always think its at Texas Canyon. I see those mountains as an extension of the Sierra Madre Occidental.

You stop seeing Saguaros around Benson or Wilcox. The desert feels hotter in the Sonoran than on its eastern neighbor.
Part of it is elevation. Going east in the I-10 you stop seeing Saguaros just outside of Tucson around Vail. When you get a little over 3,000 feet that is end of the range of those cactus. To the north they extend almost to Safford, the farthest east.

Ecology of the Saguaro: II (Chapter 1)

If the biggest difference distinguishing feature between the Sonoran and Chihuahuan deserts is the Sagouros I would say the hilly canyon area between Tucson and Benson is the dividing line. South of that the Santa Rita mountains are the dividing line all the way to Mexico. To the north the desert extends a little east along the San Pedros and Gila rivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2021, 11:37 AM

155 posts, read 150,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Honestly, I don't believe that any of the Chihuahuan Desert is in Arizona. My opinion is that the Continental Divide separates the two deserts, and on I-10, the Continental Divide is at mile marker 53 in New Mexico (about 30 miles east of Lordsburg)
I can see that. You're in agreement with Forrest Shreve in the 2 different maps from him I downloaded online. He and a few others seem to consider "desert grassland" or "semi-desert grassland" as grassland, and dismiss its relationship to arid desert, while relating it more to great plains steppe grassland.

A case of different criteria used to define or map ecosystems.

Having lived in 2 parts of the Chihuahuan Desert and adjacent foothills, plus studying and observing different SW flora with climatology, I disagree with Shreve. His 2 versions have merit but like some scientists still today, they need updating given current advances: far more data and ease of travel to observe.

Old 01-29-2021, 12:18 PM

17,803 posts, read 13,698,337 times
I've lived in both Chihauhuan desert (Alpine, Tx) and Sonoran (Tucson) and also in Willcox. The Sulpher Springs Valley where Willcox is reminds me very much of Alpine and Marfa Texas except for the sky Islands around Willcox. Pretty much grassland.

As far as Saguaros go, they only grow naturally in a certain elevation range. I've never seen them even on the east side of the Rincons really. So I'd say drawing a north south line on I 10 it's about Mescal/J-6 where they are completely gone.

I don't recall any around Willcox when I lived there.

Old 01-29-2021, 12:21 PM

430 posts, read 283,980 times
I think it is simpler, when you are eating the best Mexican food you are in a Sonoran region.

Old 01-29-2021, 03:06 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I've lived in both Chihauhuan desert (Alpine, Tx) and Sonoran (Tucson) and also in Willcox. The Sulpher Springs Valley where Willcox is reminds me very much of Alpine and Marfa Texas except for the sky Islands around Willcox. Pretty much grassland.

As far as Saguaros go, they only grow naturally in a certain elevation range. I've never seen them even on the east side of the Rincons really. So I'd say drawing a north south line on I 10 it's about Mescal/J-6 where they are completely gone.

Saguaro's do best between 1,000 and 3,000 ft elevation, they generally disappear either side of that range, either due to cold (above 3,000 ft) or lack of moisture (below 1,000 ft)

Old 01-30-2021, 06:07 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,499,383 times

We've both lived in Willcox, AZ, eddie gein. You must remember the dry lake bombing range, then, eddie gein? Portions of the dry lake bed were used by the US military. It was used by Davis-Monthan Air Force Base as a target range. They even played with remote-controlled trucks back in 'ole '43. Trippy. It was designated a National Natural Landmark in 1966 for its fossil pollen captured underground. The place is visited by thousands of sandill craness that roost in the area. It's known as the Willcox Playa.

Playa.

Old 01-30-2021, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post

We've both lived in Willcox, AZ, eddie gein. You must remember the dry lake bombing range, then, eddie gein? Portions of the dry lake bed were used by the US military. It was used by Davis-Monthan Air Force Base as a target range. They even played with remote-controlled trucks back in 'ole '43. Trippy. It was designated a National Natural Landmark in 1966 for its fossil pollen captured underground. The place is visited by thousands of sandill craness that roost in the area. It's known as the Willcox Playa.

Playa.
Playa in scientific terms means dry lake bed (I realize that it's Spanish for beach)

Old 01-30-2021, 11:37 PM

1,473 posts, read 1,423,641 times
I read the Sonoran is the wettest desert on the planet.

Old 01-31-2021, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
I read the Sonoran is the wettest desert on the planet.
The Chihuahuan is wetter

Old 01-31-2021, 04:28 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,423,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
The Chihuahuan is wetter
Perhaps, you are talking about illegals, I am talking about rainfall.
https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com...wettest-desert
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona