Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 12:30 PM

848 posts, read 967,940 times

Advertisements

15 years driving back home, not a single incident. Moved here in 2014 and 3 chips in the first year (all in the same area too - Red Mountain 202 westbound between Higley and Dobson). They're still there, out on the periphery where they don't affect visibility, and haven't grown one bit in the almost 3 years since they happened. If any of them turn into full on crack though, I'll remember the OEM glass thing and the money-back advertisement insurance scams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 12:35 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,470,276 times
You guys got me curious on the "OEM" glass and I called my insurance agent who's a knowledgeable guy on the matter/all things insurance, and also worked as a body shop manager for a long time, knows the part business, etc. and he told me the only auto company that makes "OEM" glass from one source is Ford. The rest farm out their glass making to several different glass makers and that can vary who the "OEM" manufacturer is at a given point of time. And the "OEM" glass is just the car manufacturer name stamped in a little area of the glass but that means nothing as the glass could have came from glass maker A...or B.....or C..... otherwise he stated it's a game of labeling/dealer markup to have the car manufacture mark on the windshield according to his take on the matter/experience. He also told me the glass, in our car anyways and many many other cars these days, has to be made to a certain spec/no corners cut because the windshield in our cars play a major role if the airbags are deployed which I never knew about. Some details on what he mentioned to me on the phone:

Airbags and Windshields - Technically Speaking

"In other vehicles, the airbag deploys out the front of the dashboard so the windshield does not play as important a role. However, the majority of vehicles on the road today do rely on the windshield during airbag deployment in some way."

In this regard, he told me the glass in the windshield, "OEM" or not, has to perform at a high level for the air bag matter alone. Makes sense on the level as cutting corners in this regard if injury or life is cost, saving money by glass makers to cut a corner would be a foolish costly game in the long run by all parties involved.

In the end, from my experience, I have a "classic" car that that is 26 years old with the OEM glass in it that doesn't have lots of miles on it but has a good number of chips/a small crack or 2 in it, doesn't impact my view whatsoever though but doesn't seem to be growing. I have a "non OEM" piece of glass from my "OEM" original glass cracking from a rock that has been on for years now and has tons of rocks/thrown at it in our rock invested region that have made some loud thuds and is holding up great and we drive lots of highway/interstate miles on it. Based on this info and my experience, I think it's a matter if a rock/stone has the right angle and velocity and hits your windshield, "OEM" or not, that's what matters most in the end.

Last edited by stevek64; 01-25-2017 at 12:46 PM..

Old 01-25-2017, 12:45 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,367,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
You guys got me curious on the "OEM" glass and I called my insurance agent who's a knowledgeable guy on the matter/all things insurance, and also worked as a body shop manager for a long time, knows the part business, etc. and he told me the only auto company that makes "OEM" glass from one source is Ford. The rest farm out their glass making to several different glass makers and that can vary who the "OEM" manufacturer is at a given point of time. And the "OEM" glass is just the car manufacturer name stamped in a little area of the glass but that means nothing as the glass could have came from glass maker A...or B.....or C..... otherwise he stated it's a game of labeling/dealer markup to have the car manufacture mark on the windshield according to his take on the matter/experience. He also told me the glass, in our car anyways and many many other cars these days, has to be made to a certain spec/no corners cut because the windshield in our cars play a major role if the airbags are deployed which I never knew about. Some details on what he mentioned to me on the phone:

Airbags and Windshields - Technically Speaking

"In other vehicles, the airbag deploys out the front of the dashboard so the windshield does not play as important a role. However, the majority of vehicles on the road today do rely on the windshield during airbag deployment in some way."

In this regard, he told me the glass in the windshield, "OEM" or not, has to perform at a high level for the air bag matter alone. Makes sense on the level as cutting corners in this regard if injury or life is cost, saving money by glass makers to cut a corner would be a foolish costly game in the long run by all parties involved.

From my experience, I have a "classic" car that that is 26 years old with the OEM glass in it that doesn't have lots of miles on it but has a good number of chips/a small crack or 2 in it, doesn't impact my view whatsoever though and don't seem to be growing. I have a "non OEM" piece of glass from my "OEM" original glass cracking from a rock that has been on for years now and has tons of rocks/thrown at it in our rock invested region that have made some loud thuds and is holding up great and we drive lots of highway/interstate miles on it. Based on this info and my experience, I think it's a matter if a rock/stone has the right angle and velocity and hits your windshield, "OEM" or not, that's what matters most in the end.
It wouldn't let me rep you so I'll post to say: great post Steve, I learned a lot from it.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
It wouldn't let me rep you so I'll post to say: great post Steve, I learned a lot from it.
Thanks for the try Mark but yes, was an eye opening/educational experience for me too. Thought it would be a 3 minute quick call but turned into a 15 minute/everything to know about the windshield I never knew about.

Old 01-25-2017, 01:16 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,279,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
And they don't verify the crack to warrant replacement any how. The glass company just wants their money and soon as they get authorization to replacement the windshield, it's gone.
I agree with this (from my experience). In 2013, bought a brand new BMW X5. I admired the beauty and clean lines of the car, it was perfect. Three weeks after purchase I'm driving on the 101 in Scottsdale (when it was under construction) and a big rock hits my windshield. It didn't crack but left a large star right in my line of vision. I called the insurance company and they asked if it could be covered by a dollar bill and I said no so they authorized replacement at the location of my choice. I took it to the dealer (I assume there's rain sensors on the windshield and didn't want some Safelite guy touching it) and they replaced it no questions. I don't have one of those insurance companies with the cartoon characters though, so YMMV.

Now, one benefit I can see is that you may not have those scummy guys at the car wash come up to your car every time you're washing the car to see if there's a chip or a star

Old 01-25-2017, 02:22 PM

9,742 posts, read 11,165,585 times
Quote:
The rest farm out their glass making to several different glass makers and that can vary who the "OEM" manufacturer is at a given point of time. And the "OEM" glass is just the car manufacturer name stamped in a little area of the glass but that means nothing as the glass could have came from glass maker A...or B.....or C.....
Very true. OEM's go out for multiple bids and can and do switch many times. That said, in actuality, legally knock-off glass vendors cannot "copy" the OEM windshield unless they are awarded the OEM bid. Each and every windshield installed in the USA still has to meet DOT guidelines; OEM or not.

That said, from Automotive: The Truth About OEM Phoenix Auto Glass Parts
"OEM auto glass standards require 100 percent windshield retention in frontal barrier crash tests, whilе DOT only requires 80 percent! Furthermore, thе higher standards оf OEM auto glass parts ensure that а vehicle cаn be brought back tо pre-accident condition. Some aftermarket parts dо nоt match thе tolerance, thickness, аnd shape оf OEM auto glass parts; therefore, thеy cаn hаvе a higher rate of leakage, wind noise, imperfect fit, solar performance, аnd optical distortion.

I've also observed "wavy" optics where the windows curve on cheaper windshields (my new one did it and the original one didn't). A friend is a car buyer for a major chain of dealers here in AZ. He buys >> a thousands of cars bought per year at the auction and is well versed in parts/repairs. According to him, there are less than ideal optics that officially pass DOT standards. He is a touch A.D.D. and refuses to ever use any glass but OEM windshields.

I think the message here is OEM means you are for sure getting a quality windshield. Non-OEM/aftermarket means you may or may not get a great product. For me, I want OEM and State Farm will pay for OEM if I push them. Therefore I do. I don't trust a windshield repair shop who is motivated to get their lowest cost windshield to maximize their profits, to look after my best interest.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:18 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,093,804 times
Hmm, nice tips about OEM glass.

The last time I had to pay out of pocket for a windshield, though it was over 20 years ago, it was slightly over $100. When I moved to AZ in 1996, I was surprised to find that free glass was part of my insurance coverage. I wondered why, until I had to have two replaced within three years. Then I was very happy for the coverage. I believe it is not only the rocks but the temperature extremes we have here. Back then, there weren't any 'rebates' offered for glass replacement.

After I moved to WA in 2003 and then later would come visit AZ, I started hearing radio ads from glass companies offering the 'rebates'. I didn't really like the idea as it seemed like it was a very bad idea. And of course on one of those visits, I got a rock in my windshield between Holbrook and Snowflake which left more than just a chip. WA offers free chip repair, but not free glass. Yet when I went to get the glass replaced, my insurance company put me through the ringer over it even though I was paying my regular comprehensive deductible.

Now that I have moved back to AZ, it seems like every commercial break on the radio up here on the mountain has some mobile glass company advertising cash back, a check, dinner and/or Wal-Mart gift certificates, etc. Lately, there's even been one that says, get money in time for Valentines with your "insured windshield replacement". Average is $100. Every time I hear one, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Yet, the glass replacement is an additional cost now on my insurance, I do not remember it being so back before 2003.

Ultimately, looking at the text of the bill, I think it is poorly written. I do not want to see the law as it is changed, since glass gets broke here more than any other state I have lived in. Perhaps it would be better to (though I hate regulation) pass law(s) against offering these rebates by the glass companies. IMHO, that is the best solution. I will be writing my reps to say so.

Finally, I believe this thread applies to all of AZ and not just Phoenix, and will ask it to be moved.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:18 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
Quote:
I was told the exact same thing. One insurance agent told me the OEM windshield came from the same factory as the one that made the replacement glass. Maybe it's luck, maybe it's holistic but my cheap replacement windshield cracked every year. On two occasions, had to replace two in one year. When I went to OEM, no cracks. Could be coincidence but I doubt it. And if your insurance covers it, why not? Most people don't even know or ask for the OEM glass and the insurance company will not volunteer that option for you.

What I found interesting is how one windshield company told me OEM was not covered and I would have to pay $200-$300 more for the OEM. Then I called another windshield company and they said OEM was covered. What I discovered is the insurance company pays out a certain fixed fee say $800 to $1000. The windshield company then determines it's own price. If you use the higher cost OEM glass, that leaves less profit for the windshield company. Also, labor varies with each windshield company. If one place charges $100 for labor and another place charges $200-300 for labor, then whatever remains is devoted to the glass. They can also mark up the cost of the glass. One company could charge more for the OEM glass than another company. They can then tell you that your insurance only covers a certain amount and you have to pay extra for the OEM glass. What they don't tell you is they charge more for the labor which leaves less for the glass. Or they could just charge more for the glass and/or labor. It's a total scam. Therefore, I would call multiple windshield companies because I'm certain you will find a company that will cover the OEM glass.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 01-25-2017 at 04:10 PM..

Old 01-25-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
For me, I want OEM and State Farm will pay for OEM if I push them.
Just curious....did you find out first hand/via experience what's the premium/$ that you have to pay to get the official OEM stamp of glass via state farm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I was told the exact same thing. One insurance agent told me the OEM windshield came from the same factory as the one that made the replacement glass. Maybe it's luck, maybe it's holistic but my cheap replacement windshield cracked every year. On two occasions, had to replace two in one year. When I went to OEM, no cracks. Could be coincidence but I doubt it. And if your insurance covers it, why not? Most people don't even know or ask for the OEM glass and the insurance company will not volunteer that option for you.

What I found interesting is how one windshield company told me OEM was not covered and I would have to pay $200-$300 more for the OEM. Then I called another windshield company and they said OEM was covered. What I discovered is the insurance company pays out a certain fixed fee say $800 to $1000. The windshield company then determines it's own price. If you use the higher cost OEM glass, that leaves less profit for the windshield company. Also, labor varies with each windshield company. If one place charges $100 for labor and another place charges $200-300 for labor, then whatever remains is devoted to the glass. They can also mark up the cost of the glass. One company could charge more for the OEM glass than another company. They can then tell you that your insurance only covers a certain amount and you have to pay extra for the OEM glass. What they don't tell you is they charge more for the labor which leaves less for the glass. Or they could just charge more for the glass and/or labor. It's a total scam. Therefore, I would call multiple windshield companies because I'm certain you will find a company that will cover the OEM glass.
Yes could very well be it's a luck of the draw type thing. Seems there has to be at least some type of variance in any manufactured product, even from the same factory. I also wonder how much the installation of the glass comes into play? Seems a cut and dry type thing but perhaps if it's not set in just right or the variance of the finished product is off just a bit, internal stresses of the glass are magnified which opens the windshield up to more stresses therefore more crack potential if a rock strikes it in our desert garden of rocks out here? Funny how something seemingly so simple on the surface has/can have so many potential variances.

Old 01-26-2017, 01:22 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,988,699 times
I'm kind of befuddled by this. I had to have the windshield replaced on my wife's minivan last year because it had a bad crack, and I had to pay a $50 deductible. My insurance company (Geico) fixes chips for free, but replacements cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona