Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 12:25 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,947,523 times

Advertisements

If he is a true patriot he will step down as senator for the good of the country, but if he is only at the job because he loves the power then they will have to pry his hands from the senate podium.Time will tell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 04:47 PM

35,076 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Default Speculation re: McCain and Kennedy

Both Ted Kennedy and John McCain have had long time exposure to the Senate floor and Senate Office Building. Both have exactly the same kind of cancer. Query, does anyone thing there's a connection? I don't know myself.

Old 07-20-2017, 04:56 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Both Ted Kennedy and John McCain have had long time exposure to the Senate floor and Senate Office Building. Both have exactly the same kind of cancer. Query, does anyone thing there's a connection? I don't know myself.
Unlikely.

There is no known cause for glioblastoma, but considering how many hundreds of others (not just elected officials, but their staffs, maintenance workers, security personnel, and so on) also have long-time exposure to these buildings, this seems more coincidental than anything else. I expect there are similar cases of multiple instances of other terminal illnesses that could be found - heart attacks, strokes, other cancers, accidents, and so on.

Old 07-20-2017, 04:56 PM

21,547 posts, read 8,727,966 times
McCain should get a medical marijuana card. Maybe if someone high up in the Federal government uses it and discovers its real benefits the publicity will help get it legalized nationally.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:56 PM

83 posts, read 68,214 times
My thoughts are with him and his family. You know his mom is still alive? She's 105.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:16 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caves19 View Post
My thoughts are with him and his family. You know his mom is still alive? She's 105.
Wow! No, I had no idea - how sad for her to see a child faced with life-threatening illness at her age.
However - her longevity and McCain's otherwise good health may indicate that they share genes which lead to slow aging, which would be encouraging. I am sure that Mayo's is scrutinizing Mrs. McCain's age and conducting genetic testing to precisely tailor the senator's treatment.

Standard treatment for gioblastoma (aka gbm) is surgery, which McCain has undergone, immediate meds to prevent seizures caused by brain swelling due to pressure from the tumor, carefully targeted radiation over a six to eight week time span after a month or so to recover from surgery, a similar few weeks off to recover from radiation, then chemo. Typically, chemo is the hardest on the body and can have significant side-effects. It's likely that chemotherapy would be tailored to McCain's DNA - some people have a trait which makes treatment with certain drugs more successful and is associated with longer length of survival.

I think if McCain opts for this treatment, it will be hard for him to continue to serve in the Senate, particularly if he has chemotherapy and/or is treated solely in Arizona. Obviously good treatment is also available in the D.C. area.

Some gbm patients cannot tolerate chemo, so opt to only have surgery and radiation, followed by careful monitoring of their condition via MRIs - and can live pretty normal lives for a good while afterwards. My friend who's battling gbm is in this category ( the doctors agreed that the reaction to chemo was life-threatening) and is doing very well, almost 20 months out. Perhaps this also will be McCain's choice, or perhaps he will not be as adversely affected by chemo as are some. However, each case is unique and individual, and there are many factors to be taken into account. McCain's positive attitude is a huge asset.

I continue to send all good wishes to the senator and his family now and during the battle ahead.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:28 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Some pretty harsh comments here. Regardless of your political views of Senator McCain, he is facing a very difficult prognosis. He has also served our country faithfully in various ways for many years, although I have not always agreed with his views or his votes.

That should not be an issue now. Sending best wishes for the best possible outcome, and many good days ahead.

Edited to add that I hope this thread does not get shut down as did the similar one in "Politics", due to trollish and hateful comments and deservedly harsh replies (all of which were deleted).
I was about to post the same thing: I am not a huge lover of McCain, but some of these comments show how cruel people can be when their comments are anonymous. Why would he step down at this time? Heck, for all those who say "step down" would they resign their jobs if they were diagnosed with a disease, even if it was not curable. Let's see what happens in the next few weeks? I am guessing he will not survive much longer.

Right now, it seems only right to pray for him and his family and wish them the best as they face the next few months. His daughter made a very moving statement about him yesterday. Thanks, Megan.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:33 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,183,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Wow! No, I had no idea - how sad for her to see a child faced with life-threatening illness at her age.
However - her longevity and McCain's otherwise good health may indicate that they share genes which lead to slow aging, which would be encouraging. I am sure that Mayo's is scrutinizing Mrs. McCain's age and conducting genetic testing to precisely tailor the senator's treatment.

Standard treatment for gioblastoma (aka gbm) is surgery, which McCain has undergone, immediate meds to prevent seizures caused by brain swelling due to pressure from the tumor, carefully targeted radiation over a six to eight week time span after a month or so to recover from surgery, a similar few weeks off to recover from radiation, then chemo. Typically, chemo is the hardest on the body and can have significant side-effects. It's likely that chemotherapy would be tailored to McCain's DNA - some people have a trait which makes treatment with certain drugs more successful and is associated with longer length of survival.

I think if McCain opts for this treatment, it will be hard for him to continue to serve in the Senate, particularly if he has chemotherapy and/or is treated solely in Arizona. Obviously good treatment is also available in the D.C. area.

Some gbm patients cannot tolerate chemo, so opt to only have surgery and radiation, followed by careful monitoring of their condition via MRIs - and can live pretty normal lives for a good while afterwards. My friend who's battling gbm is in this category ( the doctors agreed that the reaction to chemo was life-threatening) and is doing very well, almost 20 months out. Perhaps this also will be McCain's choice, or perhaps he will not be as adversely affected by chemo as are some. However, each case is unique and individual, and there are many factors to be taken into account. McCain's positive attitude is a huge asset.

I continue to send all good wishes to the senator and his family now and during the battle ahead.
They tried radiation on my mother. On the rescan radiation didn't do anything the tumor was twice as big.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:53 PM

120 posts, read 166,748 times
Prayers and well wishes for Senator McCain, a great man and Patriot

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 07-22-2017 at 06:10 AM.. Reason: one sentence deleted

Old 07-22-2017, 12:04 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,183,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I was about to post the same thing: I am not a huge lover of McCain, but some of these comments show how cruel people can be when their comments are anonymous. Why would he step down at this time? Heck, for all those who say "step down" would they resign their jobs if they were diagnosed with a disease, even if it was not curable. Let's see what happens in the next few weeks? I am guessing he will not survive much longer.

Right now, it seems only right to pray for him and his family and wish them the best as they face the next few months. His daughter made a very moving statement about him yesterday. Thanks, Megan.
I doubt he will be seen in public again. He has to have a huge incision line on his scalp and no hair. I think he should resign and focused on his family and friends
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona