Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 06:54 PM

73 posts, read 93,960 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

Does anybody know what driving in Southern Arizona is like. I'm currently thinking about moving in maybe a few years from now to Phoenix, Arizona and want to know what driving commutes are like. I dont want to live in Tucson. I am a huge fan of roads and want to know if its possible to commute from Phoenix and Tucson. This is a conflict since I want to live in Phoenix and attend University of Arizona (or maybe ASU) and live with some friends in the Phoenix. Can anybody give me advise on what Arizona's commuting culture is like. My concern is to not live in Tucson and be able to enjoy the desert scenery? Is this doable for an upcoming university student?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 08:29 PM

2,154 posts, read 5,182,456 times
No, I do not think it is realistic to commute from Phoenix to UA. I-10 is only 2 lanes most of the way, with a lot of truck traffic. The drive is no fun on a good day. If there is an accident, construction, etc. it will be terrible. There is no good alternate routes without going many miles out of your way.

Plus parking is tough and expensive at UA. So when you consider the time, the cost of driving and parking it will not be worthwhile.

Unless you can figure a way to take some classes online or at one of the UA Phoenix campuses and limit your trips to 1 or 2 a week, this is not a good plan.

Old 08-14-2017, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
No, I do not think it is realistic to commute from Phoenix to UA. I-10 is only 2 lanes most of the way, with a lot of truck traffic. The drive is no fun on a good day. If there is an accident, construction, etc. it will be terrible. There is no good alternate routes without going many miles out of your way.
What happens if I try it? Im so curious I have been researching things about long commutes and need more advise on the trip?

Old 08-14-2017, 11:42 PM

44,651 posts, read 61,691,885 times
Nothing will happen, but a lot of wasted time will be spent, it's a boring drive and as AZ Joe said above it's 2 lanes, and accidents happen, dust storms happen, construction happens. An accident alone can have you sitting stuck on the roadside for hours.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:09 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,971,772 times
Just go to ASU. This would be a colossal waste of time.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:36 AM

4,073 posts, read 5,159,461 times
Why in the world would you want to commute 1.5 - 2 hours one way?

Old 08-15-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Why in the world would you want to commute 1.5 - 2 hours one way?
Im just looking at different opinions because id love to drive in both cities and need someone with experience in long commuting.

Old 08-15-2017, 02:44 PM

770 posts, read 838,862 times
It's bad enough driving from one side of the valley to the other. Driving every date 3-4 hours is pure hell and between studying you could always give up sleeping and any type of quality of life.

Old 08-19-2017, 02:06 PM

2,926 posts, read 3,099,475 times
The only experience I've had with long commuting was when I lived in Elsinore and commuted to Westminster. I'm done with that, especially since I've moved out of the C.S.S.R. to the free and terrible state of Arizona.

Old 08-19-2017, 06:41 PM

576 posts, read 833,492 times
I make the drive down to Tucson 3 or 4 times a month and hate it. Boring, ridiculous traffic even without the occasional backups, and some really dangerous drivers. You seem to want to do this no matter what anyone tells you, so go for it. Once you have committed, it will be very difficult to change your situation and then you can live by the adage of: "You made your bed, now sleep in it"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: