Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 11:29 AM

1,707 posts, read 4,342,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgustav View Post
Maybe 20+ years ago this would have worked out OK, but it is not a winning strategy in today's political environment. The Progressives have taken over the Democrat party and just look at how willing they were to compromise with the Republicans when passing laws like Obamacare. Things that you will never hear from the left are personal responsibility, freedom, liberty and supporting the constitution as written. If you don't elect a conservative person interested in bringing back limited government, there will be no chance to attempt to reduce the national debt or help reduce unneeded regulations that pile up year after year by government bureaucrats.
And we are accomplishing so much today for the conservative values? I am center right - economically right
and business supportive (but not to the extreme of never funding government for anything anymore - i.e. I am FOR the Road Sales tax here in Pinal County and I live in the real world when it comes to incentives to bring in job creators) and socially a bit more left - or actually more libertarian on social issues.

The elected representatives are supposed to represent ALL constituents - not only the party or values (to the extreme that is today's positions) of one side. Our elections are just not decided by enough of a majority to justify ignoring the desires of the other half of the country.

That no longer occurs - it is a never ending battle on both sides - you mention that the Obamacare process was not very bi-partisan - can you honestly say the most recent attempts were any better to cure it? I can't. It is all about keeping that base happy so they aren't "primaried".

Main reason this has occurred in my view? Gerrymandering...and primaries as both exist today.

Do I have all the answers - no. But I think middle ground, thoughtful governance is better than constant battling of the extremes and hoping it all works out.

Just my view. Most know I do not get into the national politics side of things here - I stick to local issues in public..... But these upcoming Senate seats are pretty important - potentially to the direction of the entire country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 01:48 PM

444 posts, read 322,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
And we are accomplishing so much today for the conservative values? I am center right - economically right
and business supportive (but not to the extreme of never funding government for anything anymore - i.e. I am FOR the Road Sales tax here in Pinal County and I live in the real world when it comes to incentives to bring in job creators) and socially a bit more left - or actually more libertarian on social issues.

The elected representatives are supposed to represent ALL constituents - not only the party or values (to the extreme that is today's positions) of one side. Our elections are just not decided by enough of a majority to justify ignoring the desires of the other half of the country.

That no longer occurs - it is a never ending battle on both sides - you mention that the Obamacare process was not very bi-partisan - can you honestly say the most recent attempts were any better to cure it? I can't. It is all about keeping that base happy so they aren't "primaried".

Main reason this has occurred in my view? Gerrymandering...and primaries as both exist today.

Do I have all the answers - no. But I think middle ground, thoughtful governance is better than constant battling of the extremes and hoping it all works out.

Just my view. Most know I do not get into the national politics side of things here - I stick to local issues in public..... But these upcoming Senate seats are pretty important - potentially to the direction of the entire country.
Well, at least in the Senate the Republican conservatives are outnumbered by establishment or RINO type Republicans like speaker Mitch McConnell. As far as problems with the Obamacare repeal and replace plans, I would blame more of that on Mitch McConnell for not having an adequate replacement plan in place after 7 years of Obamacare. An example of Senate conservatives would be Ted Cruz and Mike Lee, I don't consider either McCain or Flake to be conservatives, both are more middle of the road type politicians. I am looking for more government taking place at the state level, less reliance on having centralized federal control of issues like healthcare, but the country isn't moving in that direction.

Old 10-04-2017, 03:28 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,342,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgustav View Post
Well, at least in the Senate the Republican conservatives are outnumbered by establishment or RINO type Republicans like speaker Mitch McConnell. As far as problems with the Obamacare repeal and replace plans, I would blame more of that on Mitch McConnell for not having an adequate replacement plan in place after 7 years of Obamacare. An example of Senate conservatives would be Ted Cruz and Mike Lee, I don't consider either McCain or Flake to be conservatives, both are more middle of the road type politicians. I am looking for more government taking place at the state level, less reliance on having centralized federal control of issues like healthcare, but the country isn't moving in that direction.
I agree with your assessments of views/styles whatever of the names listed above. As you can imagine I would rather have the middle of the road.

In the real world - if it IS Ward/Sinema on the 2018 ballot here - Sinema MAY WELL WIN! Remember we elected Napolitano also - so it isn't like in statewide races the left cannot show victories.

Interesting too that after I just mentioned gerrymandering above - this article popped into my twitter feed:

Supreme Court eyes partisan gerrymandering - POLITICO

Old 10-04-2017, 06:08 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
I agree with your assessments of views/styles whatever of the names listed above. As you can imagine I would rather have the middle of the road.

In the real world - if it IS Ward/Sinema on the 2018 ballot here - Sinema MAY WELL WIN! Remember we elected Napolitano also - so it isn't like in statewide races the left cannot show victories.

Interesting too that after I just mentioned gerrymandering above - this article popped into my twitter feed:

Supreme Court eyes partisan gerrymandering - POLITICO
We also had a long time Democrat Senator in Dennis DiConcini, who served three terms between 1977&1995, and chose not to run for a forth, which gave us Jon Kyl 😒

Old 10-04-2017, 07:03 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
We also had a long time Democrat Senator in Dennis DiConcini, who served three terms between 1977&1995, and chose not to run for a forth, which gave us Jon Kyl 😒
One of our most successful governors was a Democrat as well (Babbitt).

Old 10-04-2017, 07:05 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,920,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
Sinema has a lot of dirt and crazy left wing actions that when they become public will kill her chances as senator.
I personally do not want a bisexual senator who grew up in an abandoned gas station representing me and that is the tip of the iceberg.

Sinema, First Openly Bisexual Member Of Congress, Represents - NPR
http://www.city-data.com/forum/arizo...resents-changi...
Jan 1, 2013 - Democrat Kyrsten Sinema, 36, is a former social worker who spent part of her childhood living in an abandoned gas station. To win her district, ...

Kyrsten Sinema, the congresswoman who grew up in a gas station
http://www.city-data.com/forum/arizo...o.../79206952/
Jan 30, 2016 - Kyrsten Sinema's journey from homelessness to holding a Ph.D., law ... divorce, come out as bisexual and lead a groundbreaking campaign t
I don't care what she does in bed or where she used to live. I care what she wants to do as senator. She is way too left-wing and some of the Republican candidates being discussed are way too right-wing. Arizona has given us Goldwater, McCain, and Flake - where are their worthy successors?

Old 10-04-2017, 07:07 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey59 View Post
<>I always say the problem in this country is not with the idiots in Washington, it's with the idiots that send them there!
Motto!

Old 10-05-2017, 01:14 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,947,523 times
Quote:
What's wrong with someone bisexual? Or more importantly with someone who went from rags to riches on their own merits? I thought that was what you Repub's always championed, the old Horatio Alger crap
I want someone without radical beliefs to represent me someone that preferably has lived in a 2 parent home and has had proper discipline and role models growing up. I prefer not to have someone who believes in abortion and gay marriage to represent me.That is my right as an American. Some believe that I should be forced to accept abortion and gay marriage, that will never happen because I believe the BIBLE.

Old 10-05-2017, 05:13 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
I want someone without radical beliefs to represent me someone that preferably has lived in a 2 parent home and has had proper discipline and role models growing up. I prefer not to have someone who believes in abortion and gay marriage to represent me.That is my right as an American. Some believe that I should be forced to accept abortion and gay marriage, that will never happen because I believe the BIBLE.
Well good thing that you can't force your beliefs on others (though I'm sure you'd like to)

Old 10-05-2017, 08:51 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,947,523 times
Quote:
Well good thing that you can't force your beliefs on others (though I'm sure you'd like to)
Funny that is exactly what I accused you of doing 1st because liberals are famous for that which is why they reject the voting public and go directly to the judges to force their ideas on the public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona