Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 10:50 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,302,327 times

Advertisements

OK, so I've done some research, but haven't really gotten a clear answer. Here's the situation. I'm moving to the Paradise Valley/Scottsdale area Oct. 1 and renting a condo for seven months. In reality, my plan is for permanent residence. I will most likely buy a condo late winter/early spring, etc. I don't plan on moving back to South Dakota, where I've been for three years now following my retirement from CA. (Of course who knows the future, right?)

I did do a permanent change of address to the condo Ill be renting for seven months in AZ. I will no longer rent the apartment I have been renting in South Dakota and don't own any property in South Dakota.

How long do I have to register my vehicle, get a driver's license, etc. in AZ? Can I delay for a few months until perhaps next spring when it's obvious I'll buy a condo in AZ and then become a permanent resident or do I need to get an AZ driver's license, car license, car registration, etc. fairly soon after I move?

Thanks for any help. I guess I'm wondering if the change of address I did with USPS and the fact I'm no longer renting a place (or have a residence in South Dakota) will trigger the need to do the above soon after I arrive in AZ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 10:54 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Sounds to me like you will establish residency in AZ, whether renting or buying, October 1. You will have no other residential address at that point. If you were stopped in those first months, I suppose you could claim you are a snowbird, even though you are not.

Last edited by observer53; 09-19-2018 at 11:03 AM..

Old 09-19-2018, 11:04 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,302,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Sounds to me like you will establish permanent residency in AZ, whether renting or buying, October 1. So, that gives you ten days. https://www.azdot.gov/motor-vehicles
Thanks for your response. Kind of what I was thinking. Was just wondering if I could get by delaying for a few months claiming that I was snowbirding and then changed my mind to become a permanent resident in Feb of 2019 or whenever. Perhaps doing the perm change of address negated that possibility. Also, in all honesty, I ended the lease with my apartment complex in South Dakota.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:30 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Good Grief, Burkmere . . .

Why not just bite the bullet and apply for an Arizona Drivers License and Vehicle Registration on or about the 1st of October . . . then there will be NO "what ifs" or "maybes" down the road?

The Cop may or may not believe your excuses so court and or fines could very well be a possibility . . . definitely not worth the risk, time and/or grief.

Not certain about South Dakota but I am certain Arizona's Vehicle Registration is a HUGE BARGAIN compared to California.

Good Luck and Welcome to Arizona.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:34 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,522,451 times
Here is the skinny from the ADOT

https://www.azdot.gov/motor-vehicles/NewtoAZ/welcome!

Old 09-19-2018, 11:52 AM

90 posts, read 69,525 times
I have a spare BMW I will not register in AZ with Ohio tags, and have dropped insurance on it due it being garaged. If they want peple to register cars here, they shouldn't have an onerous tax. I got pulled over once and got a warning with Ohio license and Ohio plates. I just garaged the car, dropped insurance, and the price to move it back is less than the price to deal with it in Arizona, so Arizona loses money.

My Maserati is a daily driver and I put AZ plates on it. I currently paid $1500 first year, $1200 second on it. Overall, AZ has a burdensome vehicle tax and they wonder why nice cars have Montana plates, which can easily be registered under an LCC by a lawyer in Montana for $75.

Other states are mad about this, and Montana had a 'Ferrari Tax' law proposed but it was voted down. I was informed the Scottsdale PD are pretty aware of sueprcars having Montana plates. My understanding is they don't really bother people, however, because they're probably contributing more to AZ than their stupid car tax of $4500-$5500 on those.

(https://www.findcarmeets.com/montana...i-tax-evasion/).

Money goes to where it is treated best.

Old 09-19-2018, 12:21 PM

566 posts, read 573,661 times
Just piggy backing off this thread. We recently moved here but are in temporary housing until the end of October. We don't have documents to prove our address because we're basically staying in an Airbnb until we close on our house. We had planned to wait until then to register our cars and change our license. Since we can't use this home that isn't ours as an address, I'm not really sure what we are supposed to do otherwise.

Old 09-19-2018, 12:23 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoaz20172 View Post
I have a spare BMW I will not register in AZ with Ohio tags, and have dropped insurance on it due it being garaged. If they want peple to register cars here, they shouldn't have an onerous tax. I got pulled over once and got a warning with Ohio license and Ohio plates. I just garaged the car, dropped insurance, and the price to move it back is less than the price to deal with it in Arizona, so Arizona loses money.

My Maserati is a daily driver and I put AZ plates on it. I currently paid $1500 first year, $1200 second on it. Overall, AZ has a burdensome vehicle tax and they wonder why nice cars have Montana plates, which can easily be registered under an LCC by a lawyer in Montana for $75.

Other states are mad about this, and Montana had a 'Ferrari Tax' law proposed but it was voted down. I was informed the Scottsdale PD are pretty aware of sueprcars having Montana plates. My understanding is they don't really bother people, however, because they're probably contributing more to AZ than their stupid car tax of $4500-$5500 on those.

(https://www.findcarmeets.com/montana...i-tax-evasion/).

Money goes to where it is treated best.
While you are at it, why not drop a check in the mail to the state of Arizona for the amount of property taxes you would pay on your Arizona home if it were in Ohio? And another for the income tax differential? They all get you one way or another - the mix will vary. But, overall, Arizona taxes are significantly lower than they are in Ohio. Quit complaining - or go back.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:53 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
And a big chunk of the vehicle licensing fees, the VLT, is a personal property tax that's deductible when you do your taxes. (unless that changed with the new tax law)

Old 09-19-2018, 04:15 PM

6,755 posts, read 5,056,845 times
One question is do you want to vote in AZ in November? If so you'll need to move your driver's license here soon.

Second question is car insurance. You can make the loop with your provider and ask all the questions about addresses, licenses, etc, and what would happen if they aren't all in alignment. I don't know the answers, but this is the one I'd be most concerned about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: