Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 02:10 PM

45 posts, read 123,599 times

Advertisements

We are taking a trip to AZ this coming August in order to look at the possibility of relocating. This will be a two week trip, the first half will be spent in Scottsdale to explore the Phoenix area (North Scottsdale is the closest we could get with our vacation club), the second week, we will be spending in Sedona for some relaxation and site seeing.

My question is about the route from Scottsdale to Sedona. The obvious choice would be to take I17 up to 179. But time is not a huge issue and we'd like a more scenic route than I presume to find on a freeway. I was thinking about heading East to pick up 288 (From the Desert to the Tall Pines Scenic Route) and take that up to 260 and then over to I17.

We were also thinking of stopping at Montezuma's Castle along the way.

Am I trying to stuff too much into one day? I think 288 takes about four hours to drive. How are the conditions on this road? (We will be in a rental car, nothing very large.) I've read that parts of this road are not paved. Also, does this road tend to get washed out often during the monsoon?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Lots of GREAT info on this site!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 03:35 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,016,755 times
From Scottsdale take the 87 (260) north to Payson...pretty drive, scenic and easy...then in Payson head west towards Camp Verde...that may also be 260 but I'm not sure. Just follow the signs towards Camp Verde/Cottonwood from Payson...to the valley. You will come out near Montezuma's Castle. It will be a full day but not impossible and it is a nicer drive than heading straight up I-17. Old Fort Verde, in the town of Camp Verde, is fun to see, too. Lots of history and most of the old calvary buildings are still there

Old 04-08-2008, 06:55 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
I-17 is pretty scenic, especially for someone from the midwest - cactus to pines in 100 miles.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:12 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,841,325 times
The route via Prescott is quite interesting and beautiful, especially Mingus Mountain (very high!) and Jerome.

US Route 89 (http://www.us89society.org/guides/default.aspx?guideId=2 - broken link)

See "Alternate 89" to Flagstaff, on left side of page linked above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fra Diavolo View Post
My question is about the route from Scottsdale to Sedona. The obvious choice would be to take I17 up to 179. But time is not a huge issue and we'd like a more scenic route than I presume to find on a freeway. I was thinking about heading East to pick up 288 (From the Desert to the Tall Pines Scenic Route) and take that up to 260 and then over to I17.

We were also thinking of stopping at Montezuma's Castle along the way.

Am I trying to stuff too much into one day? I think 288 takes about four hours to drive. How are the conditions on this road? (We will be in a rental car, nothing very large.) I've read that parts of this road are not paved. Also, does this road tend to get washed out often during the monsoon?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Lots of GREAT info on this site!!!

Last edited by MaikeerinWA; 04-08-2008 at 08:16 PM.. Reason: Messed up link :(

Old 04-08-2008, 11:01 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,318,872 times
I'd maybe suggest doing kind of a loop trip. You could leave Scottsdale through Fountain Hills and head up Hwy 87 to Payson and on through Pine & Strawberry. Then catch Hwy 260 over to Camp Verde (the old Fort, Montezuma's Castle, etc). This is a very scenic drive with a variety of topography and vegetation.

Once you're in Sedona you may want to take Hwy 179 and I-17 up to Flagstaff and then return by Hwy 89A through Oak Creek Canyon (it's more scenic driving down the canyon from Flag).

Another side trip you can take is Hwy 89A south out of Sedona through Old Town Cottonwood, historic Clarkdale, and up to the old mining/ghost town of Jerome (now kind of an eclectic artsy town). If you want to continue on Hwy 89A you'll go up Mingus Mtn (check out the red rock views over your shoulder) and can head on into Prescott. Most weekends in August we have some sort of "arts in the park" thing going on at Courthouse Square.

There's a ton of beautiful places to visit in the Sedona area. Hope you enjoy your trip!

Old 04-09-2008, 07:12 AM

45 posts, read 123,599 times
Thanks for all the great suggestions. We are planning to take a day trip over to Jerome and then on to Mingus Mtn while we are staying in Sedona, so I'm glad that you've confirmed that idea for me. We will also be making a trip to Grand Canyon via Flagstaff, so we've got that route covered, as well.

Going through Fountain Hills and then up 87 to 260 was my first idea, but then I read about the route in my original post. I guess what attracted me to it was that I could drive along the Mogollon (SP?) Rim, along 260 east of payson.

It is starting to look like I don't need to go out of my way to find a scenic route anywhere in AZ!

This will be my first time in AZ, and I am really looking forward to it.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:58 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
You could also go from Scottsdale north to the Carefree Hwy and west over to Wickenburg then the scenic route just north of Wickenburg up to Prescott, then to Jerome, then Cottonwood and then to Sedona. This route you'll get to see desert and mountain views, a good sampling of AZ flora and fauna.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:50 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times
This is different and I can vouch that it is fabulous!

South of Flagstaff, there's a wonderful unpaved road that is the drive of a lifetime! Scenery you can't see anywhere else, and that we've seen in a thousand old cowboy movies, that you could LOVE!

On Hwy 17 south of Flag, south of Mountainaire, a tad south of Munds Park, turn off (to the west) onto Schnebly Hill Rd, and follow Schnebley Hill Rd/Forest Service road 153a. You'll need a local detailed map; you can actually see it clearly on Mapquest. You have to drive slowly. When you get out of the car to gasp at the views, watch for Gila Monsters, although there aren't too many in that area but watch the ground. Schnebley will take you down to "downtown" Sedona.

What a memory!! Have a wonderful adventure!

Old 04-09-2008, 02:09 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,318,872 times
Schnebly Hill is a gorgeous road, but you might not want to take that road if your vehicle doesn't have sufficient ground clearance. It's pretty rough and rocky in places. The views are definitely worth it, though.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:29 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
Schnebly Hill is a gorgeous road, but you might not want to take that road if your vehicle doesn't have sufficient ground clearance. It's pretty rough and rocky in places. The views are definitely worth it, though.
Hear! Hear! Excellent point! Thank you, Gretchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona