Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 07:32 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,712,573 times

Advertisements

Historically, sometimes a wife has stepped in with politics to follow in the footsteps of her husband. But with Mark Kelly announcing his candidacy, as the husband of past Representative Gabby Giffords - that's a new one, isn't it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 09:19 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,972,333 times
NewYawkers and Joiseyites trying to bring Leftist ideas to the West is nothing new. They were insturmental in ruining Las Vegas.

Old 02-25-2019, 11:38 PM

202 posts, read 220,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
NewYawkers and Joiseyites trying to bring Leftist ideas to the West is nothing new. They were insturmental in ruining Las Vegas.
You're an idiot. Gifford is a native of Tucson so you can shove that pointless East Coaster narrative moving to Arizona up your you know what. Mark moved here probably because his job was to be in space, so I doubt his wife was moving to wherever he was when she had her own political career to work on. He retired in 2011 and has been living in Arizona with Gifford. If you want to criticize people for moving West to Arizona for political reasons then look no further than Martha McSally whose sole purpose of being in Arizona in the first place was to kick-start her political career. It's a savvy move considering that the previous senators were unlikely to continue on for much longer and she was going to run as a Republican in a red state. Outside of training for USAF and fighter pilot training in Arizona, she wasn't present in Arizona until after she retired from the air-force. Immediately after retiring, she ends up teaching in Germany, but right before the 2012 Arizona's 8th congressional district special election, she's all of a sudden making waves in Arizona. Right...

Old 02-26-2019, 05:53 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,972,333 times
A Jersey Democrat? Makes corruption in AZ seem pretty tame. Last people in the world you want managing fiscal spending. Calm down, you are waking up your trailer park.

Old 02-26-2019, 06:40 AM

9,742 posts, read 11,165,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
A Jersey Democrat? Makes corruption in AZ seem pretty tame. Last people in the world you want managing fiscal spending. Calm down, you are waking up your trailer park.
Do your homework on the person a little more before you post. The guy isn't your typical politician. He didn't study law. Rather aeronautical engineering and is a former naval aviator and astronaut. In order to be picked as an astronaut, you have to be brilliant and an incredibly motivated person. I'm not saying that being an astronaut qualifies you to represent AZ. But when you insinuate someone is corrupt because they were raised in NJ and went to college in NY (Merchant Marine Academy), that's an uneducated statement. i.e. unintelligent or idiotic.

Old 02-26-2019, 07:34 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,148,805 times
Doesn't matter where he was born...you can argue that he is a charismatic and enticing candidate but I hate when the candidate's website doesn't list their position on issues clearly. Okay, naval aviator, won the DFC, Astronaut, Masters from the Naval Post-Grad School...that is what he has done...what does he stand for? Gun Control, obviously as that is what the Giffords Foundation has been working on. More reasonable approach than mainstream D proposals. Says he won't take PAC money...wants to fight for the middle class...blah blah blah.

I honestly don't think it would take much for him to beat McSally. If the R's want a better race they may want to consider running someone else. If Kelly moves (or is) toward the center to get the Independent vote, there just aren't enough far-right leaning votes to overcome that.

2 D Senators from AZ...pretty sure that would be a first.

Old 02-26-2019, 07:41 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Doesn't matter where he was born...you can argue that he is a charismatic and enticing candidate but I hate when the candidate's website doesn't list their position on issues clearly. Okay, naval aviator, won the DFC, Astronaut, Masters from the Naval Post-Grad School...that is what he has done...what does he stand for? Gun Control, obviously as that is what the Giffords Foundation has been working on. More reasonable approach than mainstream D proposals. Says he won't take PAC money...wants to fight for the middle class...blah blah blah.

I honestly don't think it would take much for him to beat McSally. If the R's want a better race they may want to consider running someone else. If Kelly moves (or is) toward the center to get the Independent vote, there just aren't enough far-right leaning votes to overcome that.

2 D Senators from AZ...pretty sure that would be a first.
If it's Kelly v. McSally, I expect a contest of who is more 'Murica based on their piloting past and nothing of substance.

It'll be interesting to see how McSally adjusts for 2020 since her cling to Trump strategy did not work.

Old 02-26-2019, 07:52 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,636,014 times
Do the Republicans have ANYBODY that is strong and better than McSally? Why is the GOP weak in western states?

Old 02-26-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
If it's Kelly v. McSally, I expect a contest of who is more 'Murica based on their piloting past and nothing of substance.

It'll be interesting to see how McSally adjusts for 2020 since her cling to Trump strategy did not work.
She was really not an attractive candidate in the first place. The only reason she got the numbers she did was because she had an "R" next to her name. That is how we got Diane Douglas as well. If she can't bring more to the table than "MAGA" and "I flew a jet"...I fear it will not be much of a contest.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Do the Republicans have ANYBODY that is strong and better than McSally? Why is the GOP weak in western states?
Apathy? As far as AZ is concerned, our second largest voting block is "Independent". The GOP used to count AZ as a solid Red state but it could very easily flip with all the transplants moving in. All the Ds have to do is move to the center and suck up votes...then no one pays attention to what they do/did in office until the next election cycle. As long as Sinema maintains a "moderate" to "leans left" rating, she has a long career ahead of her. All Kelly has to do is appeal to common sense governance vs. the perception of a full blown "Liberal" and he could very well take the election.

My perception...and this is as an Independent...is that the Rs rely on the coat-tails of their predecessors and that there are enough "Get off my lawn and stop taking my money" types in the state that don't fully educate themselves on the issues at hand (this is actually true of both Rs and Ds) or give someone a pass if they fight against raising taxes. Many of them fully support Trump and excuse his behavior based on policy decisions that the Administration has made. Quite frankly, most have been sound decisions but, unlike his predecessor, he is very vocal and crass about his intentions and how he gets things done. Obama and to a lesser extent, GWB & Clinton were pretty quiet about what they were doing behind the scenes. They were much better with misdirection than Pres. Trump. Or maybe....all this noise about a border wall IS his misdirection of public attention while other things are done...hmmm.

Last edited by KurtAZ; 02-26-2019 at 09:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona