Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 06:45 PM

2,382 posts, read 2,715,266 times

Advertisements

Hope everything gets running smoothly in time. I was very surprised to find out that Maricopa county doesn't even have a dedicated telephone line for an office for election information/voter registration. It's just a hodgepodge at the recorder's office, staffed by call-center people who don't have much information and are incapable of clear explanations.

With 2020 Looming, Parties Fight State by State Over Voting Access

Arizona Republicans are hardly an endangered species; the party controls the governor’s office and both houses of the state legislature. But the state and its political preferences are shifting.

https://ibexnews24.com/2019/06/with-...voting-access/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 11:51 PM

2,774 posts, read 5,729,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
Hope everything gets running smoothly in time. I was very surprised to find out that Maricopa county doesn't even have a dedicated telephone line for an office for election information/voter registration. It's just a hodgepodge at the recorder's office, staffed by call-center people who don't have much information and are incapable of clear explanations.

With 2020 Looming, Parties Fight State by State Over Voting Access

Arizona Republicans are hardly an endangered species; the party controls the governor’s office and both houses of the state legislature. But the state and its political preferences are shifting.

https://ibexnews24.com/2019/06/with-...voting-access/

So in addition to being one of the easiest states to register and vote in, you'd like a dedicated call center to handle questions about how to register? The article you linked to shows no problems here and I'm sure Hobbs is not going to be reducing voter rolls anytime soon.

Old 06-30-2019, 02:49 PM

2,774 posts, read 903,626 times
This is a bit worrisome for Republicans in light of the huge number of people moving here from California. Not everyone from CA is Democrat but it is virtually a one party state. I'd prefer the Republicans maintain a majority in Arizona state politics. The last election debacle was handled poorly by Fontes (a democrat) and somehow Sinema beat McSally through some pretty sketchy voting practices which have yet to be fully investigated (emergency voting centers?).

I'd love to know if the Democrats moving here from CA understand that the reasons they are moving away from there such as high cost of living, off the chart real estate prices, highest gasoline prices in the country, high taxes, overcrowding, awful traffic, failing infrastructure, homeless cities, crime, more people on government assistance than any other state, and on an on, are because the Democrats have running the show there since the early 90's. And we are seeing the all too predictable results now, including a substantial number of people and businesses leaving there for greener pastures.

Old 06-30-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey73 View Post
This is a bit worrisome for Republicans in light of the huge number of people moving here from California. Not everyone from CA is Democrat but it is virtually a one party state. I'd prefer the Republicans maintain a majority in Arizona state politics. The last election debacle was handled poorly by Fontes (a democrat) and somehow Sinema beat McSally through some pretty sketchy voting practices which have yet to be fully investigated (emergency voting centers?).

I'd love to know if the Democrats moving here from CA understand that the reasons they are moving away from there such as high cost of living, off the chart real estate prices, highest gasoline prices in the country, high taxes, overcrowding, awful traffic, failing infrastructure, homeless cities, crime, more people on government assistance than any other state, and on an on, are because the Democrats have running the show there since the early 90's. And we are seeing the all too predictable results now, including a substantial number of people and businesses leaving there for greener pastures.

It's not just people moving from CA. It's WA, IL, NY and NJ among others.

Old 07-01-2019, 08:48 PM

2,382 posts, read 2,715,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey73 View Post
But apparently you didn't have a problem with the idea of a virtual one-party state as long is it was Arizona as a Republican state? The Republican majority seems to be diminishing - or perhaps it's that long-time Republican acquaintances of mine have been voting Democrat in the last few elections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
So in addition to being one of the easiest states to register and vote in, you'd like a dedicated call center to handle questions about how to register? The article you linked to shows no problems here and I'm sure Hobbs is not going to be reducing voter rolls anytime soon.
No, I'd like an office specifically for the board of elections, which should be equipped to handle questions about everything. It's not unusual to have an election office, and call centers tend to be staffed by people who don't know much.

Old 07-01-2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
But apparently you didn't have a problem with the idea of a virtual one-party state as long is it was Arizona as a Republican state? The Republican majority seems to be diminishing - or perhaps it's that long-time Republican acquaintances of mine have been voting Democrat in the last few elections.

No, I'd like an office specifically for the board of elections, which should be equipped to handle questions about everything. It's not unusual to have an election office, and call centers tend to be staffed by people who don't know much.

Great, unnecessarily growing government.

Old 07-02-2019, 04:08 AM

551 posts, read 693,948 times
Quote:
What exactly do you need to know that you can't look up online? We need to pay more in taxes for more government workers so you have someone to talk to?

Old 07-02-2019, 05:51 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,639,561 times
The problem with one party ruled Democrat states like California, they're difficult if not impossible to become reversible. Moving from that state and voting the same policies in AZ and expecting different results is insane.

Old 07-02-2019, 08:26 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,883,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
The problem with one party ruled Democrat states like California, they're difficult if not impossible to become reversible. Moving from that state and voting the same policies in AZ and expecting different results is insane.
But I thought the party line was that conservatives are leaving California in droves because of "Democrat" control... at least that's what they keep claiming.

(BTW: I don't have a dog in your hunt - I'm a registered Libertarian so as far as I'm concerned, a pox on both of the legacy parties' houses.)

Old 07-02-2019, 01:36 PM

1,336 posts, read 929,187 times
Don't think at all that all CA incoming are Democrats.

Not at all. So far all that I know of, including us two, all California departures for Arizona are all Right voting. We left California for the freedoms of Arizona, not for the scorching summers and scorpions (we have plenty of rattlers depending on where you live, even in SF Bay).

I know of many leaving California for just this reason. So I suspect Gov Newsom is just pushing out more and more white and blue collar workers away from CA to AZ.

So the purple may turn a redder shade this next election. So far I don't mind Sinema, but I sure as f**k don't want to see Arizona turn into another California via wasteful and ineffective liberal policies funded by taxpayers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: