Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2019, 08:37 PM

16 posts, read 33,240 times

Advertisements

I recently moved here and have found out that the average teacher pay is $33-39k. My question is, why is teacher pay so low in Arizona? How can teachers live on that income with the cost of living? I think teachers deserve the respect of a liveable wage for all that they do to shape the future of our state.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 08:41 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,958,439 times
Now you’ve done it

Old 08-14-2019, 11:59 PM

566 posts, read 573,495 times
The starting teacher salary in my school is 45k

Old 08-15-2019, 02:53 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,971,505 times
When half the money is looted for things outside the classroom, like countless district offices, there isn't a lot left. You quoted started pay, and that is still decent. I recall an editorial in the Noglaes International, stating they had been covering the gripes about teacher pay for longer than anyone on the staff could remember, but the truth was that a reporter with a university degree only made half the salary of a teacher with the same experience.

Old 08-15-2019, 03:25 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,238,018 times
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...cation/prek-12

They are over paid for quality of the job they do.

Old 08-15-2019, 04:50 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,459,309 times
If I were in college today, there's no way that I'd consider being a K-12 school teacher.

United States residents are having fewer kids now. The population is aging. 55+ individuals will comprise a larger percentage of the population in the coming decades.

Anything working with senior citizens will have higher demand. When a person is in college, they are preparing for ~40 years in the workplace. The 40 year outlook on K-12 teaching is poor. Especially in a place like Arizona, which draws in a ton of 55+ people.

I think part of the reason that educational outcomes are getting so bad is that potential future teachers realize that the longevity of the profession isn't all that good. This won't draw the best to the occupation.

Summers off is one of the draws of being a K-12 teacher.

Old 08-15-2019, 09:11 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,145,829 times
Wow...you are an educator and missed the past 2-5 years of "AZ Funding is the lowest in the country" headlines? Or are you just trying to start a vitriol thread?

Old 08-15-2019, 09:49 AM

848 posts, read 967,452 times
Frankly, because the US doesn't give a **** about education and teachers (saying you do doesn't count - put your money where your mouth is). Paying people millions of dollars to run around with a ball on TV or to sing something someone else wrote, or to spend a few months in front of a camera for a movie is a lot more important to people than making sure the people running the country 20-30 years from now aren't stupid and know how to think. "Those people get millions because they make some other rich person a lot more than that." In the US, follow the great almighty dollar.

Also, don't private schools pay a lot more? I don't know, I haven't look into it, but I think I've seen it mentioned before. But then you have to deal with going along with jesusifying all the kids. So, tradeoffs I guess.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:04 AM

2,674 posts, read 2,627,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
Frankly, because the US doesn't give a **** about education and teachers (saying you do doesn't count - put your money where your mouth is). Paying people millions of dollars to run around with a ball on TV or to sing something someone else wrote, or to spend a few months in front of a camera for a movie is a lot more important to people than making sure the people running the country 20-30 years from now aren't stupid and know how to think. "Those people get millions because they make some other rich person a lot more than that." In the US, follow the great almighty dollar.

Also, don't private schools pay a lot more? I don't know, I haven't look into it, but I think I've seen it mentioned before. But then you have to deal with going along with jesusifying all the kids. So, tradeoffs I guess.
Cuba and Venezuela are shining examples of what happens when decisions about worth are made arbitrarily by bureaucrats instead of the free market.

Anyone who is unhappy about their pay is free to find their own way to increase the value of their services. Making a career decision, and then complaining about the very expected results, is sad.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:13 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,971,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post

Private schools mostly pay less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona