Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 03:51 PM

555 posts, read 596,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
No one said they weren't hard working. So are baristas at starbucks, clerks at Circle K, attorneys, CEOs, construction laborers.

What's your point?
First of all, the CEO's and attorneys make one hell of a lot more than teachers. Second: baristas, Circle K clerks, and construction laborers don't have to take their work home with them. Teachers are expected to hold after-hours parent/teacher conferences, take home papers to grade, prepare lesson plans, and attend after-school functions. They are expected to encourage their students to want to learn, instill some discipline and self-esteem in these kids, and be watching for signs of parental abuse/neglect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2019, 05:28 PM

445 posts, read 322,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
California Public schools are some of the worst in the country. What exactly are paying MORE for?
As California taxpayers, they are paying for the California State Teachers Retirement System - eleventh largest public pension fund in the world. Poor school performance doesn't impact the teacher pensions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CalSTRS

Old 08-18-2019, 12:01 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,303,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogmom13 View Post
First of all, the CEO's and attorneys make one hell of a lot more than teachers. Second: baristas, Circle K clerks, and construction laborers don't have to take their work home with them. Teachers are expected to hold after-hours parent/teacher conferences, take home papers to grade, prepare lesson plans, and attend after-school functions. They are expected to encourage their students to want to learn, instill some discipline and self-esteem in these kids, and be watching for signs of parental abuse/neglect.
I still don't know what your point is? Do you? Are you saying that teachers should make more money? If so, it will be more competitive and many who want to be teachers won't be able to cut it because they will be competing against those potential engineers, attorneys, doctors, etc. who may change their mind if they are paid more than teachers make now.

As I also mentioned, one doesn't have to stop at being a teacher. There are many highly paid educational jobs besides teaching if one is sharp and wants to progress.

So, if your point is they work hard, then my comment about many high and low paid professions work hard and some do take their work home with them.

If your point is they should be paid more, well, taxes will go up, and many who want to become teachers will be competing against others who will go for the increased salary and they won't be able to be teachers anyway.
Obviously, private school teachers are paid less on average and are very successful at it so you will have a hard time convincing me teachers should be paid all that much more. (Some Districts across the nation DO pay well. However, again, it's hard to get a job in those districts and if someone could, well, then MOVE. Vote with the feet!

And if it's so bad, then they shouldn't torture themselves. They should get another job. Let's also not forget the nice pension they get in their 50s once they retire. Easy to gloss over that, isn't it??

Old 08-18-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgustav View Post
As California taxpayers, they are paying for the California State Teachers Retirement System - eleventh largest public pension fund in the world. Poor school performance doesn't impact the teacher pensions.
Yes, this fantastic benefit isn't often brought up by the "poor teacher" crowd. Teachers who start teaching in their early 20s out of college can easily retire in their 50s with a decent pension. And it's almost impossible for them to get fired. Private sector folks generally don't have a pension. They can easily get fired and generally do at some point in their careers or at least laid off. They also work more than 185 or so days a year. And believe it or not, many work long hours, too!! They are also paid what the market will bear. They are paid their "real worth" as defined by supply and demand. Publc sector teachers are not paid according to supply and demand for the most part. If they were, they'd be paid what private sector teachers are paid.

Old 08-18-2019, 12:57 PM

1,336 posts, read 929,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
For the same reason property taxes are lower there. I remember a big reason we relocated to CA vs. AZ was the school system. But you'll have to pay more taxes my Phoenix friends shrieked. Yeah but you get what you pay for...
Haha, you didn't look into things enough. If you did, you'd have found out that in Cali, teachers get tenure after TWO years. TWO. And then they simply can't get fired without committing a serious crime, because the teachers union is all over earning those dues.

Hence, in our high school in Silicon Valley, in a neighborhood where outside folks paid much $'s to move into, while we had some decent teachers, there were more than several very bad teachers, which would ruin a students K-12 experience.

I don't about AZ, but I hope the unions don't have that much leverage.

I do agree that teachers should be paid more. Parents need to drive the fat out of school administration, and make sure more money gets to well performing teachers paychecks.

Old 08-18-2019, 06:41 PM

555 posts, read 596,003 times
Quote:
I still don't know what your point is? Do you? Are you saying that teachers should make more money? If so, it will be more competitive and many who want to be teachers won't be able to cut it because they will be competing against those potential engineers, attorneys, doctors, etc. who may change their mind if they are paid more than teachers make now.

As I also mentioned, one doesn't have to stop at being a teacher. There are many highly paid educational jobs besides teaching if one is sharp and wants to progress.

So, if your point is they work hard, then my comment about many high and low paid professions work hard and some do take their work home with them.

If your point is they should be paid more, well, taxes will go up, and many who want to become teachers will be competing against others who will go for the increased salary and they won't be able to be teachers anyway.
Obviously, private school teachers are paid less on average and are very successful at it so you will have a hard time convincing me teachers should be paid all that much more. (Some Districts across the nation DO pay well. However, again, it's hard to get a job in those districts and if someone could, well, then MOVE. Vote with the feet!

And if it's so bad, then they shouldn't torture themselves. They should get another job. Let's also not forget the nice pension they get in their 50s once they retire. Easy to gloss over that, isn't it??
Quote:
No one said they weren't hard working. So are baristas at starbucks, clerks at Circle K, attorneys, CEOs, construction laborers.

What's your point?
My "point" was in response to quote #2. Not trying to make any point, nor do I want to debate you on the subject.

Old 08-19-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogmom13 View Post
My "point" was in response to quote #2. Not trying to make any point, nor do I want to debate you on the subject.
Nothing to debate unless you want to debate "facts." Have a nice day.

Old 08-20-2019, 09:48 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,991,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgustav View Post
Bingo.

I love when people use the "I pay more taxes so I get more!" argument.

Usually people from California.

Old 08-21-2019, 06:34 PM

2,382 posts, read 2,715,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handymanjojo View Post
I recently moved here and have found out that the average teacher pay is $33-39k. My question is, why is teacher pay so low in Arizona? How can teachers live on that income with the cost of living? I think teachers deserve the respect of a liveable wage for all that they do to shape the future of our state.
I assume it's because Arizona is traditionally Republican, and Republicans generally don't like to spend money on education.

Old 08-22-2019, 10:05 AM

306 posts, read 336,474 times
Why not eliminate public schools? If you have kids, pay for their education directly. Reduce government spending/taxes. Privately run schools perform better. Government mucks up most enterprises. See TSA, USPS etc.

As for the OP, from what I understand, beginning salaries for teachers are usually quite low but over time they grow pretty well and job security is strong. I know where I live teachers start here and leave for "better" once they get experience. It's a revolving door of young teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona