Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 06:17 PM

3,610 posts, read 7,940,406 times

Advertisements

Ducey's order allows engagement in outdoor exercise "if appropriate physical distancing practices are used."

Distancing means relying on all other users to stay clear, or allow enough time and warning to get off the trail. Based on my recent experience many do not do this.

Unfortunately I believe it is necessary to avoid trails and paths for the near future. Too many other people, even in less-popular areas, and insufficient attention to distancing.

Stay home, or stick to wide sidewalks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2020, 07:24 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,290,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
Ducey's order allows engagement in outdoor exercise "if appropriate physical distancing practices are used."

Distancing means relying on all other users to stay clear, or allow enough time and warning to get off the trail. Based on my recent experience many do not do this.

Unfortunately I believe it is necessary to avoid trails and paths for the near future. Too many other people, even in less-popular areas, and insufficient attention to distancing.

Makes too much sense, which is probably why it's not being implemented. Hiking trails and lakes have been crowded ... in fact, they've overly crowded to where social distancing is nearly impossible. Also, with the reports indicating this virus can be transmitted via aerosolization, along with the strong recommendation that we wear masks when being outdoors, what's the purpose of even being outside in an open area if you have to cover up your face? It's about like saying "indulge in nature & the weather, but just don't enjoy it". Also, too many hikers are unprepared, and they become disoriented or injured. This takes too much time away from first responders who need to be on call for the more essential matters.

Old 04-04-2020, 08:03 PM

26 posts, read 38,840 times
I’ve seen this as well in the trails where I live. I’m having to veer off at least 6 feet off trail to keep physical distance. Too many people distracted by red rocks to step off.

They’ve closed popular trailheads but those that are open are so crowded I’ve seen an unusual number of cars (most out of state) parked at the nearby church.

Recreate responsibly within communities close to your home, I can support.
I see so many posts on social media claiming #socialdistancing from tourists/day trippers that travel hundreds and thousands of miles just to cram themselves in the trails here, some of which are single track or cliff out to the side. I share the same concern for our first responders and limited healthcare facilities that these people have to utilize if they choose to hike somewhere unprepared, just because the easy popular trails are closed. Hopefully they close all the trailheads here soon.

I’ve resorted to hitting the trails very early to avoid the crowds. tourists and day trippers don’t tend to clog the trails til around 9 or 10.

Old 04-04-2020, 10:09 PM

3,825 posts, read 9,493,851 times
I hit one of my local trails for a run this morning, at 6 AM there was nobody there and I went 10 miles without seeing a single person. There are a ton of trails all over Arizona, if you know where to look it's possible to hike or trail run without running into anyone.

Old 04-05-2020, 08:11 AM

5,774 posts, read 11,407,482 times
I have been walking around quiet residential areas for the most part. Plenty of room on the side streets to avoid passing near others.

I also bike ride 3-4 times a week, and have been avoiding the popular bike / pedestrian paths. Some of the bike paths still have groups going along, and there are plenty of narrow spots (like on bridges over washes). Yesterday my route went mostly along side streets on the east side of Tucson and I don't think I was ever within 15-20 feet of any of the few people that I saw along the way.

Old 04-06-2020, 10:21 AM

93 posts, read 54,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post

Even Sedona is "closed" these days. I bet it's the first time in history that people have been told NOT to go to Sedona. I live in a very quiet neighborhood backed up by a lot of emptiness and I don't see people out and about, not even walking their dogs.

Old 04-06-2020, 10:25 AM

1,227 posts, read 636,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBratII View Post
Even Sedona is "closed" these days. I bet it's the first time in history that people have been told NOT to go to Sedona. I live in a very quiet neighborhood backed up by a lot of emptiness and I don't see people out and about, not even walking their dogs.
Unfortunately many people from PHX haven’t gotten the message, as they still drive up to visit on the weekends.

Old 04-06-2020, 10:25 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,735,410 times
Quote:
Then obviously the OPs post worked. Now he's got the trails to himself.

Old 04-06-2020, 01:19 PM

555 posts, read 596,697 times
Quote:
We were in Sedona Tuesday to hike. First trailhead we went to was busy and no one seemed to care about keeping their distance. We found another place and only saw one trail runner and a few mountain bikers in four miles. It was great. Plenty of almost empty trails here in the Prescott area too.

Old 04-07-2020, 01:02 AM

8,046 posts, read 12,290,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogmom13 View Post
We were in Sedona Tuesday to hike. First trailhead we went to was busy and no one seemed to care about keeping their distance. We found another place and only saw one trail runner and a few mountain bikers in four miles. It was great. Plenty of almost empty trails here in the Prescott area too.
This is exactly why it makes a lot more sense to hike in the north central higher elevations: trails are less crowded, and the scenery is much prettier than anything you can get around the Phoenix area. It's more pleasant in the summer too ... not 110 or 115 degrees!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona