Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2020, 08:06 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,701,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Typical, now lets make your analogy accurate. If I hear a bank is being robbed, I dress up like the bank robbers, I head down to the bank, enter it and act like a bank robber...I'm a bank robber no matter what I call myself.

I'm all for peaceful protesters. What's going on in the country now is not peaceful and needs to be stopped as we are allowing these idiots to violate others rights. There is no constitutional right to what is going on now.

Were you not in the other thread chastising the actually peaceful protesters when they were protesting the shut down?
LOL, still no condemnation for the unconstitutional arrests and attacks on PEACEFUL protesters. If the best our law enforcement can offer is a shotgun approach, you’ve further illustrated the problem and your lack of understanding how Constitutional rights apply. Yours don’t disappear because the guy over there is stealing an iPad. If the tables were turned and some people at a trump rally started vandalizing, there’s no way in hell you would say that the rest of the rally-goers lose their right to assembly and to due process and that LEOs would be cool to blast all the ‘peaceful trumpers’ with irritant chemicals. You need to step away from your bias.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2020, 08:11 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,261,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
LOL, still no condemnation for the unconstitutional arrests and attacks on PEACEFUL protesters. If the best our law enforcement can offer is a shotgun approach, you’ve further illustrated the problem and your lack of understanding how Constitutional rights apply. Yours don’t disappear because the guy over there is stealing an iPad. If the tables were turned and some people at a trump rally started vandalizing, there’s no way in hell you would say that the rest of the rally-goers lose their right to assembly and to due process and that LEOs would be cool to blast them with irritants. You need to step away from your bias.
It's odd you were not making this argument during the peaceful protests over the shutdown. You being unbiased and all.

If those attending & supporting trump rally's were looting and rioting I would say the exact same thing I'm saying now.

I'm arguing against looting and rioting yet you keep attempting to make it about something else.

Old 06-02-2020, 08:59 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,740,409 times
Quote:
It's odd you were not making this argument during the peaceful protests over the shutdown. You being unbiased and all.

If those attending & supporting trump rally's were looting and rioting I would say the exact same thing I'm saying now.

I'm arguing against looting and rioting yet you keep attempting to make it about something else.
The point is, people were charged with felony looting and arrested - and the evidence provided to a judge in court in Phoenix indicated that they probably were innocent.

They most likely weren’t looters.

https://www.abc15.com/news/local-new...paste-evidence

You don’t arrest someone and charge them with a felony and use a “copy pasta” probable cause statement. The standard is pretty low for a probable cause statement, along the lines of “ I, law officer, saw someone later identified as Jim smith break a window and took him into custody”.

Doesn’t take long, if you actually witnessed them committing a crime. There were no specific crimes identified in probably over a hundred arrests in Phoenix in one night.

And, these aren’t $50 nuisance tickets.

They’re felonies.

Lose your job, lose your house, ruin-your-life felonies.

If you can be charged with a felony for peacefully protesting, I’d submit that a huge percentage of Phoenix’s best and brightest can’t afford to protest at all. A felony in Arizona would cost me my nursing license, real estate license & concealed weapons permit. It would disqualify me from renting all but the shabbiest of housing. And it would disqualify me for all but the shabbiest of jobs.

That’s kinda a big deal.

And it’s exactly why the protesters were on the streets in the first place.

Pretty much everyone they “take out” with a bad felony charge is going to end up on the government dole. They’re not earning six figures and complaining about capital gains tax, because they’re not going to ever be able to get out of that hole.

I’d submit that someone does need to see the inside of a cell here & that would be the person or persons who think it’s ok to copy-pasta a felony probable cause statement. That is terrorism.

Old 06-02-2020, 09:11 PM

^...but they were in the relative vicinity of a looter. Nuke ‘em all! Screw the Constitution!

/s (duh)

Old 06-02-2020, 09:25 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,261,956 times
Again, you didn't have this argument for the actual peaceful protestors over the shutdown. My view is the same for both circumstances, you on the other hand are changing your argument based off of your political world view.

Old 06-02-2020, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Again, you didn't have this argument for the actual peaceful protestors over the shutdown. My view is the same for both circumstances, you on the other hand are changing your argument based off of your political world view.
No, I’m not at all. I respect that the Constitution applies to everyone equally. I wouldn’t support the salon protesters being doused with pepper spray, shot with rubber bullets and arrested without probable cause just because some of them got out of line. And if that did happen, I certainly wouldn’t defend it by saying that they shouldn’t have been so close to someone breaking the law. That’s not how Constitutional rights work. You’re smarter than that.

And FWIW, the protesters yesterday that were forcibly removed from the president’s photo op path, were not doing anything against the law. That was an outright travesty and every American needs to be outraged over that. You still haven’t acknowledged that.

Old 06-02-2020, 09:40 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,740,409 times
Quote:
All it would take is a heavy-handed mayor to do the exact same thing to “open my nail-salon” protestors. The current mayor in Phoenix is kinda blue-lookin’ - the next one might just draw a bullseye on a cause you don’t agree with.

That’s why you should be afraid.

A political decision was made to arrest a bunch of people and call them rioters when they were not in fact, rioters.

I’d point out that the constitution does not have anything written about “before 5pm” regarding petitioning your government for redress, or lawful assembly. Lots of people who really work hard can’t get out of work at noon on Sunday to protest, even if daylight protests are somehow more “soothing” to you.

The bottom line is, the right to protest peacefully and to lawfully assemble is being taken away by fiat, contrary to law. And you’re cheering that move, for now at least.

Old 06-02-2020, 09:41 PM

2,076 posts, read 1,658,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Interesting this is the first time I heard of a statewide curfew during this. And the longest compared to the others. And is coming from the same governor that banned curfews/stay at home orders for three weeks after other states during COVID19 before caving in to media demands and initiated a week one.
I be curious how it would affect the lives of those living in places far removed from the bad action ie outer suburbs of Phoenix, Prescott, Sedona, Lake Havasu City, and other smaller areas, I guess probably and hopefully nothing. It’s interesting how one incident thousands of miles away can turn all the places inside out so quickly. Though apparently these incidents disappear magically for two whole months or maybe is it because MS media was too busy clambering for a police state to control public behavior in the name of flattening the curve thus they overlook any police mistreatment issues except for ones that occurred overseas ie India, they were cheering though when cops ticket people for doing vaguely allowable activities in other states such as California though labeling people as disease spreaders.
I live in the far north suburb of Phoenix and there haven't been instances of rioting or protests nearby. The only exception I know of was at Scottsdale's Fashion Square Mall area over the weekend. But if you go towards 101 and beyond north or east to Fountain Hills, Apache Junction, etc. it still seems relatively normal.
I am confused as to why a statewide curfew was called - especially for rural areas. Does a cattle ranch in remote Graham County or isolated home a few miles outside of Jerome have to comply? Lol.

Old 06-03-2020, 02:05 AM

44,693 posts, read 61,850,766 times
My statement was correct.
https://azcapitoltimes.com/news/2020...ic-activities/
The Governor’s Office said the emergency declaration will not effect businesses, law enforcement, first responders or the media, while all others may not use, stand, sit, travel or be present on any public street or in any public place between 8 p.m. and 5 a.m. every day for one week.

The curfew will also not affect those who travel to and from work or attend religious services; drivers of commercial trucks and delivery services; people who obtain food; those who care for a family member, friend, or animal; people who patronize or operate private businesses; and individuals who seek medical care or flee dangerous circumstances.

https://patch.com/arizona/across-az/...curfew-arizona
Dan Barr Phoenix Attorney
What is opened near you right now? What's closed? Here's a break down of Arizona's statewide curfew.
"It really doesn't do anything you can go to work, a bar or restaurant, see family or walk your dog. Really, it's aimed at gatherings of people in parks. You can also shop if your store is open," said Barr to azfamily.com. "No restaurant has to close down no grocery store no business whatsoever has to close "\down. What you can't do is gather in a public place after 8 p.m."

Last edited by wit-nit; 06-03-2020 at 02:29 AM..

Old 06-03-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
My statement was correct.
https://azcapitoltimes.com/news/2020...ic-activities/
The Governor’s Office said the emergency declaration will not effect businesses, law enforcement, first responders or the media, while all others may not use, stand, sit, travel or be present on any public street or in any public place between 8 p.m. and 5 a.m. every day for one week.

The curfew will also not affect those who travel to and from work or attend religious services; drivers of commercial trucks and delivery services; people who obtain food; those who care for a family member, friend, or animal; people who patronize or operate private businesses; and individuals who seek medical care or flee dangerous circumstances.

https://patch.com/arizona/across-az/...curfew-arizona
Dan Barr Phoenix Attorney
What is opened near you right now? What's closed? Here's a break down of Arizona's statewide curfew.
"It really doesn't do anything you can go to work, a bar or restaurant, see family or walk your dog. Really, it's aimed at gatherings of people in parks. You can also shop if your store is open," said Barr to azfamily.com. "No restaurant has to close down no grocery store no business whatsoever has to close "\down. What you can't do is gather in a public place after 8 p.m."
No, your statement was not correct. Why do you avoid going directly to the source? You stated:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
The curfew only applies to assembling on Public property...
Here is what the actual order states since you seem unable to find it:

During the hours of curfew, all persons are prohibited from using, standing, sitting, traveling or being present on any public street or in any public place, including for the purpose of travel,

For purposes of this order, “public place” means any place, whether on privately or publicly owned property, accessible to the general public, including but not limited to public streets and roads, alleys, highways, driveways, sidewalks, parks, vacant lots, and unsupervised property.

You cannot travel to see family, sit in your own unfenced front yard, or go on a jog or bike ride during curfew hours. The only thing you got right is that businesses do not need to shut down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona