Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2021, 04:06 PM

6,103 posts, read 2,725,398 times

Advertisements

Arizona on Jan. 5 reported a record number of additional COVID-19 deaths along with new hospitalization highs as cases surge in the state with the fastest-growing rate of new infections.

The Department of Health Services reported 253 additional deaths, exceeding the previous one-day record of 172 reported on July 30. The state also reported 5,932 additional COVID-19 cases, raising the state’s totals since the pandemic began to 567,474 cases and 9,317 deaths.

The department said the additional deaths included 215 newly attributed to COVID-19 through a periodic review of death certificates. The agency could not specify when the 215 deaths occurred, Department spokeswoman Holly Poynter said.

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/ar...-new-case-rate

This is scary stuff we are now number 1 in the country for new covid cases.

Old 01-05-2021, 04:19 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,627,718 times
From what you posted, 215 out of those 253 deaths were deaths from some time ago that, after review, are now being attributed to covid. I'm not following what you're flagging as a concern.

IMO, the thing to be concerned about is the post Christmas cases that are likely coming. It's been 11 days, over the next 10 days or so we're likely to see a spike.

Old 01-05-2021, 04:37 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times
Leading the world in COVID cases 2x in one year takes a special kind of incompetence. Ducey should be ashamed of himself

Old 01-05-2021, 10:25 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
From what you posted, 215 out of those 253 deaths were deaths from some time ago that, after review, are now being attributed to covid. I'm not following what you're flagging as a concern.

IMO, the thing to be concerned about is the post Christmas cases that are likely coming. It's been 11 days, over the next 10 days or so we're likely to see a spike.
It also somewhat averages with the previous low counts. That was my takeaway when I heard the numbers today parking my car and dreading to go into my workplace. I mean divide that by three it isn't too bad. That said there is a lag in the deaths due to the fact you have to have morgue space to do autopsy. I see no cause for concern or anything but the concern for me is the cases considering hospital space. Arizona is gonna become Hell in earth real soon for serious covid cases.

Old 01-05-2021, 10:37 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,987,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Leading the world in COVID cases 2x in one year takes a special kind of incompetence. Ducey should be ashamed of himself
What is Ducey supposed to do? Order lock downs like California and Michigan?

Old 01-05-2021, 11:04 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,726,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
What is Ducey supposed to do? Order lock downs like California and Michigan?
I personally believe he can at least do another mask mandate like earlier in the year. It was effective as the number of cases went down and we were able to open up again. This pandemic should not be ignored because it has the possibility to further damage our fragile society and economy. Personally, I do not want to see or hear of anyone else dying from this virus and hope we, as a nation, can get it under control soon. I'm hoping at least by March when things got shut down a year ago.

Old 01-05-2021, 11:14 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,987,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
I personally believe he can at least do another mask mandate like earlier in the year. It was effective as the number of cases went down and we were able to open up again. This pandemic should not be ignored because it has the possibility to further damage our fragile society and economy. Personally, I do not want to see or hear of anyone else dying from this virus and hope we, as a nation, can get it under control soon. I'm hoping at least by March when things got shut down a year ago.
A mask mandate is not needed. People are already wearing masks. I can count on one hand the number of people I have seen in an enclosed area without a mask since summer. Last occasion was at a McDonald's upon which the maskless individual was told promptly to put on a mask.

Old 01-06-2021, 05:52 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times
Quote:
A mask mandate is not needed. People are already wearing masks. I can count on one hand the number of people I have seen in an enclosed area without a mask since summer. Last occasion was at a McDonald's upon which the maskless individual was told promptly to put on a mask.
Once you leave the urban areas, compliance goes way down. In rural areas, almost nobody is. I spent a weekend in Pinetop recently. Yikes

It’s like that in Pinal County and other surrounding counties as well

Old 01-06-2021, 06:16 AM

2,788 posts, read 7,451,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
I personally believe he can at least do another mask mandate like earlier in the year. It was effective as the number of cases went down and we were able to open up again.
Governor Ducey never implemented a statewide mask mandate. Instead, back in June, he allowed cities, towns, and counties to enact their own mandates. Enough of them did that now nearly 90% of the state's population is subject to a mandate at either the municipal or county level, and in many cases both. Since then, there have been no major changes with respect to mask requirements in Arizona. A few municipalities like Scottsdale and Gilbert have allowed their own mandates to expire, but since Maricopa County's mandate remains in effect, there is virtually no change to the requirements experienced by residents of those communities.

Last edited by exit2lef; 01-06-2021 at 06:27 AM..

Old 01-06-2021, 06:49 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Wrong. I live in suburbia and I constantly see people walk around with chin diapers or no mask at all. It has been on the rise for about two months now. They wear it coming in if a store has someone at the doors, but as they walk around, away it goes. That said, stores don't enforce it and the police aren't either. Why, because there have been no citations for not having a mask on. I point my finger to the police, since the several police offices would not enforce the state's Stay At Home, Stay Healthy, Stay Connected orders back in May.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona