Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2021, 07:10 AM

3,693 posts, read 2,413,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball86 View Post
Arizona on Jan. 5 reported a record number of additional COVID-19 deaths along with new hospitalization highs as cases surge in the state with the fastest-growing rate of new infections.

.....This is scary stuff we are now number 1 in the country for new covid cases.
And the peak in death is apparently set for Mid to late January b/c of Christmas travel.

But this was before the new strain that's more contagious appeared.

Old 01-06-2021, 07:23 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,147,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Wrong. I live in suburbia and I constantly see people walk around with chin diapers or no mask at all. It has been on the rise for about two months now. They wear it coming in if a store has someone at the doors, but as they walk around, away it goes. That said, stores don't enforce it and the police aren't either. Why, because there have been no citations for not having a mask on. I point my finger to the police, since the several police offices would not enforce the state's Stay At Home, Stay Healthy, Stay Connected orders back in May.
Hmm...that hasn't been our experience. Everyone I have seen in stores or areas where there are lots of people have been masked. Maybe we should look at zip codes again as to where the most likely areas of non-compliance are? I know that most rural towns lifted their mandates but folks are still wearing them, albeit not in the percentages in Maricopa County. The zip code map just doesn't bear out that they are doing anything even in high compliance areas:

https://www.azdhs.gov/preparedness/e...ards/index.php

I don't see how a statewide mandate would be needed...people are going to do what they do. Unless you are going to advocate for an already over-worked police force (that many want to defund, ironically) to become the mask Gestapo...I just don't see any way to force compliance. LEOs have much more important things to be worried about than a bunch of calls about "I saw a person not wearing a mask". It just wouldn't be sustainable.

Old 01-06-2021, 08:19 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Hmm...that hasn't been our experience. Everyone I have seen in stores or areas where there are lots of people have been masked. Maybe we should look at zip codes again as to where the most likely areas of non-compliance are? I know that most rural towns lifted their mandates but folks are still wearing them, albeit not in the percentages in Maricopa County. The zip code map just doesn't bear out that they are doing anything even in high compliance areas:

https://www.azdhs.gov/preparedness/e...ards/index.php

I don't see how a statewide mandate would be needed...people are going to do what they do. Unless you are going to advocate for an already over-worked police force (that many want to defund, ironically) to become the mask Gestapo...I just don't see any way to force compliance. LEOs have much more important things to be worried about than a bunch of calls about "I saw a person not wearing a mask". It just wouldn't be sustainable.
I'm in the west valley fwiw. But what I laugh about with the mask mandate is the same people saying that the police aren't enforcing it because they have more important things to do, often ask why we even have them because they are ineffective. It is a circular argument.

Old 01-06-2021, 12:18 PM

6 posts, read 2,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball86 View Post
Arizona on Jan. 5 reported a record number of additional COVID-19 deaths along with new hospitalization highs as cases surge in the state with the fastest-growing rate of new infections.

The Department of Health Services reported 253 additional deaths, exceeding the previous one-day record of 172 reported on July 30. The state also reported 5,932 additional COVID-19 cases, raising the state’s totals since the pandemic began to 567,474 cases and 9,317 deaths.

The department said the additional deaths included 215 newly attributed to COVID-19 through a periodic review of death certificates. The agency could not specify when the 215 deaths occurred, Department spokeswoman Holly Poynter said.

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/ar...-new-case-rate

This is scary stuff we are now number 1 in the country for new covid cases.

Really scary stuff. It is getting out of control here.

Old 01-06-2021, 02:00 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,627,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I'm in surprise more since I live closer to that than Buckeye, they don't do crap. Stores don't enforce it. This is why mandates don't work.
My observation is that people follow mandates in public, but they've stopped following them in private. E.g., I've noticed kids having friends over for birthday parties at several neighbors ( no masks, etc.). For the first couple of months people followed them in private, but at some point realized they weren't at much risk and started ignoring them. Teenagers largely ignored it in private from the get go (hanging out behind stores or in parks where they weren't easily visible).

If more people were at high risk I think compliance would remain high. But they're not, and when they realize it their willingness to go along drops off. Many maintain a facade in public to not be shamed, but in private they will only keep it up for so long, apparently 10 months is too long.

Old 01-06-2021, 02:07 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
My observation is that people follow mandates in public, but they've stopped following them in private. E.g., I've noticed kids having friends over for birthday parties at several neighbors ( no masks, etc.). For the first couple of months people followed them in private, but at some point realized they weren't at much risk and started ignoring them. Teenagers largely ignored it in private from the get go (hanging out behind stores or in parks where they weren't easily visible).

If more people were at high risk I think compliance would remain high. But they're not, and when they realize it their willingness to go along drops off. Many maintain a facade in public to not be shamed, but in private they will only keep it up for so long, apparently 10 months is too long.
I dont with family except for this week until I get tested. Indirect exposure at work.

Old 01-07-2021, 11:23 AM

2,338 posts, read 4,717,389 times
Of course Yuma and PHX are high. Got a lot of minority large multigenerational families cramped into many section 8 complexes in both areas.

Mohave Yavapai and Gila are sparsely populated mainly white counties. Not heavy tourist spots except for Havasu either.

Old 01-07-2021, 05:25 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Of course Yuma and PHX are high. Got a lot of minority large multigenerational families cramped into many section 8 complexes in both areas.

Mohave Yavapai and Gila are sparsely populated mainly white counties. Not heavy tourist spots except for Havasu either.
That's part of the reason, but there are other factors involved. Another thing to consider is the health of the individuals who contracted the virus. Those with heart conditions, reduced lung capacity, high blood pressure, and are obese have a greater chance of not only getting COVID, but having more severe symptoms, and dying from it. This is why older people in general tend to be more at risk.

Weather conditions also play a part. COVID and other viruses thrive more readily in places with lower humidity, which could be why Arizona & California are hot spots. On top of that, the lack of rain & storm systems have caused stagnant air, which translates to dirtier air. This can create an increased health risk for those with asthma and other breathing issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I kind of think this is a more perfect example.
[mod cut - rude]

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 01-08-2021 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: wishing death on others.

Old 01-08-2021, 03:22 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,053,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HikeArizona View Post
My nephew worked at the CDC for 3 years. With a background in biochemistry and microbiology, his work was viral research and developing DNA vaccines. His workplace was a BSL3 lab. He has read all that you have read but also has a real working knowledge of this topic. He, his wife and 2 children never wear a mask. His comment is, "you may as well wrap fishnet pantyhose around your face." Masks are worse then ineffective, they give people a false sense of security. It's not the 6% of non mask wearers that is the problem, it's the people who wear masks, wrongly think they are effective and violate social distancing. Washing your hands works, not sticking fingers into your orifices works, social distancing works but mask wearing DOES NOT! Go ahead, tell me you read it in USA Today or hear Fauci state (after previously stating they do not work) that masks work. A virus is going to virus and following a lockdown, it will reemerge but hey, go ahead and believe otherwise.
He should be able to point you to an accredited source we can all read that says the same thing then. Otherwise it is just his opinion.

Old 01-08-2021, 03:32 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HikeArizona View Post
My nephew worked at the CDC for 3 years. With a background in biochemistry and microbiology, his work was viral research and developing DNA vaccines. His workplace was a BSL3 lab. He has read all that you have read but also has a real working knowledge of this topic. He, his wife and 2 children never wear a mask. His comment is, "you may as well wrap fishnet pantyhose around your face." Masks are worse then ineffective, they give people a false sense of security. It's not the 6% of non mask wearers that is the problem, it's the people who wear masks, wrongly think they are effective and violate social distancing. Washing your hands works, not sticking fingers into your orifices works, social distancing works but mask wearing DOES NOT! Go ahead, tell me you read it in USA Today or hear Fauci state (after previously stating they do not work) that masks work. A virus is going to virus and following a lockdown, it will reemerge but hey, go ahead and believe otherwise.
The highest cases and deaths and deaths are from Arizona and not states with high mask usage. It's not from Oregon, Washington, DC, or California.

Arizona has one of the highest percentage of expected deaths. They are about to overtake NJ. Are AZ suicide rates skyrocketing vs other states?

2nd table by state.
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona