Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 12:51 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,329,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by being1 View Post
What county lets you live in an RV on your land as the primary residence?
Cochise seems to only allow that "while" you are building an actual large house.
Which is true, but Derek mentioned that they (Cochise County) give you like 5+ years to actually build that "permanent" structure, so just sell the land and move to another part of the county, then rinse and repeat every 5 years!

With regards to your building inspection question, there was definitely "opt outs" that Derek mentioned he chose with his latest house, but even with whatever was mandatory, he said the county didn't even come got and just said it was approved, and he had to laugh at that.

The big thing Derek mentioned about having little to no inspections, is when and if they come to sell their new house, no bank/credit union will ever give someone a loan for that purchase, he would have to either find someone able to pay in cash or basically he and Hannah would "float the loan" and the new buyers would have to pay them every month until the full price is met.

Having said all that, Derek and Hannah, mentioned it might be 10 to 20 or more years before they decide to sell, if ever. You might want to email Derek, if you have any specific questions with regards to Cochise County, he seems very knowledgeable and willing to help others with that off-grid lifestyle, even if someone doesn't have the amount of money he and Hannah have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2021, 12:55 PM

21 posts, read 116,978 times
Does anyone know which counties besides Cochise allow you to opt out of building inspections and codes?

Old 02-28-2021, 02:36 PM

732 posts, read 390,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
There's a YouTuber I follow called Handeeman, his name is Derek and he and his wife live in Cochise County near St. David.

They built a tiny house on a trailer while living in an apartment in Tucson, then bought land out in Cochise County and did solar, rainwater harvesting, etc. and are now building a larger home on their land to live it.
\\.
That was my first thought, that Cochise County was a reasonable answer even though it violates the OP requirements.

I've seen some of those videos and always have to laugh at the offthegridhomesteadin' youtube channels where the money just flows and flows into the project.

I imagine that Cochise County will get rid of those rules at some time or the other, so if the opportunity is currently still present I'd jump at it. You do have to wonder how they deal with valuations for property taxes and how fire insurance might work sans inspections.

Old 02-28-2021, 03:33 PM

21 posts, read 116,978 times
I bet things like having home insurance, or selling to someone who wants to finance are impossible. Mortgage companies like to finance homes that are connected to the grid , and ones that didnt build without inspections and code.. so, its not a good investment if you want to build something to sell.

Old 02-28-2021, 08:44 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,418,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by being1 View Post
I bet things like having home insurance, or selling to someone who wants to finance are impossible. Mortgage companies like to finance homes that are connected to the grid , and ones that didnt build without inspections and code.. so, its not a good investment if you want to build something to sell.
Even rural, fully permitted property can be much tougher to get a mortgage on. It is much harder for them to appraise. Buildable lots with city water and electric can be had for less than 10,000 in Rio Rico, if not 5000. My closest neighbor was about 1300 feet, when I moved in, in 2001. I had 1 acre, and acquired an adjacent 3.5 at the tax sale with the assistance of a good real estate attorney.

Old 03-01-2021, 09:36 AM

732 posts, read 390,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Which is true, but Derek mentioned that they (Cochise County) give you like 5+ years to actually build that "permanent" structure, so just sell the land and move to another part of the county, then rinse and repeat every 5 years!

I always thought that an interesting way to game these systems, and it might work most anywhere that's rural, is simply to build a slab + barn + water/power/septic somewhere and then use it as an interior docking station for a nice RV.

That would be a cool way to keep your property tax at a minimum while giving you the opportunity to travel for part of the year.

Old 04-04-2021, 10:04 AM

3,378 posts, read 5,008,265 times
Greenlee County is extremely isolated. Very sparsely populated.

Northern Greenlee County, north of the Morenci mine, is basically undeveloped national forest, got little hamlets up there like Hannagan's Meadow, Blue and Alpine.

South of Morenci, you have York Valley, Sheldon, Franklin and Duncan. Alot of brush land, cattle ranches, cotton farms and low Chihuahuan desert.

Old 02-18-2023, 05:14 PM

2 posts, read 2,188 times
Default To Being1

Hello. Is there an update to your move to AZ? I have been researching for quite sometime. I was originally looking into Mojave County AZ, but now venturing to northern or southern AZ and even new mexico due to the septic and rv laws in AZ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona