Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2022, 04:08 PM

2,022 posts, read 869,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
The math says 70% of the water goes to the plants and animals that people eat and use for clothing. Eat less and go naked and you can have more water.
No problem, I could stand to lose a few pounds and I like running around naked. It's everyone else that has a problem with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2022, 04:16 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,586,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvalleyfan View Post
Yea, but what about California? They are having big problems also. Colorado is another state with water problems. It's not just Arizona.
Yea, I know. I remember a water bill I first got in Pinal county 15 yrs ago. I told them I didn't use any water for months. But they still billed me full price just for the connection.
Lawmakers need to address it.
There's many smart brain/think tanks in the country to solve it.

What happened to desalination water to re-use for coastal states?
China has a weather modification dept. since the 2008 Olympics.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...ather-control/

All the climate change scary talk from politicians yet no effort we know of to bring more rain to replenish the reservoirs for the public and farmers, and stop the wild fires in adjacent states. This should be priority #1 unless they secretly know of a solution.

Parts of storm drenched Florida has a water shortages too but not as bad. They're asking people to not water their lawns everyday or there's a fine. Imagine that.

Old 07-01-2022, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
Yea, I know. I remember a water bill I first got in Pinal county 15 yrs ago. I told them I didn't use any water for months. But they still billed me full price just for the connection.
Lawmakers need to address it.
There's many smart brain/think tanks in the country to solve it.

What happened to desalination water to re-use for coastal states?
China has a weather modification dept. since the 2008 Olympics.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...ather-control/

All the climate change scary talk from politicians yet no effort we know of to bring more rain to replenish the reservoirs for the public and farmers, and stop the wild fires in adjacent states. This should be priority #1 unless they secretly know of a solution.

Parts of storm drenched Florida has a water shortages too but not as bad. They're asking people to not water their lawns everyday or there's a fine. Imagine that.
Yeah,I feel your pain. My house is under construction in Pima and I received a bill from the water company for the hook up.. Hey, as long as you get a bill that means you at least got water. I bet those folks in that story wouldn't mind getting a water bill.

Old 07-02-2022, 08:30 AM

8,045 posts, read 12,273,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
We running out of water and many people here seem to have false confidence that there is a plan to address our water challenges. Politicians have no plan. Lake Mead is dropping by 8 inches a day. The lake has a current water level of 1,043 feet. Doing the math, that means that the lake will completely dry in a little more than four years if that rate continues. There will be no desalination plants because our right wing legislature would never levy the necessary tax increase on Arizonans to pay for any backup contingencies.
As far as I know, none of the politicians running for office are mentioning the water situation, except Kari Lake ... and she only mentioned desalting plants after being asked what she would do about water shortages. We really need to get serious about where our water will come from, meaning: more action and not just talk. Desalinization needs to happen sooner, not later. It shouldn't even be a political issue or up for debate.

Fact is: we should have gotten busy about long term solutions 20+ years ago when the drought was in its infancy. But instead, we kept promoting the damn sunshine & dry weather as reasons to move to AZ ... which, if I recall was one of the reasons you came here also. All these ignorant transplants piling in here just because they hated dealing with inclement weather certainly hasn't improved the water situation any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
The math says 70% of the water goes to the plants and animals that people eat and use for clothing. Eat less and go naked and you can have more water.
We need farms for those things, but agriculture doesn't necessarily belong in desert regions where water is scarce, especially when it consumes over 70% of Arizona’s water supply. Also, cotton farmers in AZ have been mooching off of billions of dollars' worth of federal subsidies. They are more gluttonous than beneficial here.

Old 07-02-2022, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
As far as I know, none of the politicians running for office are mentioning the water situation, except Kari Lake ... and she only mentioned desalting plants after being asked what she would do about water shortages. We really need to get serious about where our water will come from, meaning: more action and not just talk. Desalinization needs to happen sooner, not later. It shouldn't even be a political issue or up for debate.

Fact is: we should have gotten busy about long term solutions 20+ years ago when the drought was in its infancy. But instead, we kept promoting the damn sunshine & dry weather as reasons to move to AZ ... which, if I recall was one of the reasons you came here also. All these ignorant transplants piling in here just because they hated dealing with inclement weather certainly hasn't improved the water situation any.

We need farms for those things, but agriculture doesn't necessarily belong in desert regions where water is scarce, especially when it consumes over 70% of Arizona’s water supply. Also, cotton farmers in AZ have been mooching off of billions of dollars' worth of federal subsidies. They are more gluttonous than beneficial here.
Ignorant transplants huh...I guess you think since you were born in Arizona that you are the only one that has a right to live there? It's your complacency and not stopping greedy developers and the farmers that sell their farms for development that have created the problems today. Take a look at yourself before you start pointing fingers. What have you done all these years to stop the problem. No mirrors in your house?

Old 07-02-2022, 11:25 AM

8,045 posts, read 12,273,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvalleyfan View Post
Ignorant transplants huh...I guess you think since you were born in Arizona that you are the only one that has a right to live there? It's your complacency and not stopping greedy developers and the farmers that sell their farms for development that have created the problems today. Take a look at yourself before you start pointing fingers. What have you done all these years to stop the problem. No mirrors in your house?
Why are you taking such a defensive tone? A little sensitive, are we? Certainly not all transplants are ignorant, but the ones who move to AZ just because they claim to love the sunshine & dry weather are the ignorant ones. Why? Because they have tunnel vision & seem to think that their life will be better here just because of our blue skies, warm weather, and low humidity much of the year. An excessive amount of that kind of weather over the last 20 years has contributed to the water situation we're in. Unfortunately, there's little or nothing we can do about the weather/climate.

And I believe it is you who is pointing fingers when you stated that the problems are the result of my complacency. No, it's the lack of leadership at the state & federal level, and the continuous promotion of our sunny climate which contributed to the problems. Giving billions of dollars to farmers who suck up a huge amount of available water is also a big part of the issue. You correctly stated earlier that over 70% of the water in AZ goes to agriculture. Farmers selling to developers actually results in less strain on the water supplies. Do the math.

Old 07-02-2022, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Why are you taking such a defensive tone? A little sensitive, are we? Certainly not all transplants are ignorant, but the ones who move to AZ just because they claim to love the sunshine & dry weather are the ignorant ones. Why? Because they have tunnel vision & seem to think that their life will be better here just because of our blue skies, warm weather, and low humidity much of the year. An excessive amount of that kind of weather over the last 20 years has contributed to the water situation we're in. Unfortunately, there's little or nothing we can do about the weather/climate.

And I believe it is you who is pointing fingers when you stated that the problems are the result of my complacency. No, it's the lack of leadership at the state & federal level, and the continuous promotion of our sunny climate which contributed to the problems. Giving billions of dollars to farmers who suck up a huge amount of available water is also a big part of the issue. You correctly stated earlier that over 70% of the water in AZ goes to agriculture. Farmers selling to developers actually results in less strain on the water supplies. Do the math.
Defensive tone? Sensitive? No, nothing sensitive about me. I've seen too much ignorance in my lifetime to be sensitive. A little more at my age just makes me amused. It just amazes me how people hide behind the safe confines of a computer and throw insults...carry on.

Old 07-02-2022, 03:44 PM

2,673 posts, read 2,237,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
We running out of water and many people here seem to have false confidence that there is a plan to address our water challenges. Politicians have no plan. Lake Mead is dropping by 8 inches a day. The lake has a current water level of 1,043 feet. Doing the math, that means that the lake will completely dry in a little more than four years if that rate continues. There will be no desalination plants because our right wing legislature would never levy the necessary tax increase on Arizonans to pay for any backup contingencies.

Between the recession and water shortage, property here will plummet in value in the next few years. I wouldn’t suggest that anyone move here without their own personal water source.

Can't you drop the partisanship just once? Neither wing on the same bird would levy the increase. You wouldn't want to pay it.

Old 07-02-2022, 06:53 PM

994 posts, read 969,602 times
I'll admit I was thinking about a future move from Phoenix to Prescott or Payson the other day , researching. Not once did water availability cross my mind. I know its a big problem and I have looked into articles and such plenty of times, but it didn't cross my mind the other day. I mean it does rain more up there, so maybe the higher elevations aren't as much as desperate for it? I'm probably wrong on this assumption.

Old 07-02-2022, 07:51 PM

402 posts, read 613,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Yup...Arizona is going to dry up and die. Time for everyone to get out. Don't move here, we don't have any water. You are going to be drinking your pee, just like a desert tortoise. All of AZ is a dry, withering wasteland...all desert...no mountains or forests or anything...just dust storms and death.

You have been warned.
These kinds of jokes are hilarious. You same people have treated the water issue the same way for the 5 years ive been in AZ. You all believed and parroted the BS realtors and government said about "100 years of water". As soon as I moved here and saw the unreal development from Phoenix to Prescott I knew that was a load of crap.

But here we are....literally having towns running out of water and the boomers still think its some sort of conspiracy. You realize the white mountains and around flagstaff, where we get the most rain/snow in the state have areas running out of well water right? Thats today. Not 20 years from now. Right now. This isnt just a Phoenix issue. You aren't safe in Prescott either.

Good luck...I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona