Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2022, 09:54 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,976,381 times

Advertisements

Just camp in the area and walk to the Rim for the morning views and coffee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2022, 08:08 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladan View Post
Just in case you haven't been there before.....

The dining room that jamies mentioned above is indeed incredible. However, in order to actually eat there, you must make reservations many weeks in advance. This restaurant can only handle a very small portion of the people who stay at the cabins. If you don't eat there, then the only other option you have (other than bringing your own food) is a very small fast-food counter where you can buy pizza/sandwiches/salads/ice cream. During the daytime, this lunch counter gets *extremely* busy as it has to serve not only the people who are staying overnight, but also the day visitors as well.
I'm surprised to hear that reservations need to be made weeks in advance for the main dining room. When I was there 3 years ago, I recall having to wait a while to be seated, but they were able to reserve a table that same day. Of course, this was before the "pandemic", so I suppose they're using that as an excuse. I remember that deli you're referring to being very busy during the lunch hour.

As an editorial comment: I prefer the North Rim to the South Rim because it's less crowded, greener, cooler, and more scenic. The best (and really the only) time to see the North Rim is summer. It's closed during the winter months. The only downside is it's a long drive from Flagstaff & the South Rim ... however, the mileage factor & driving distance are reduced if you come in from Utah. On my last visit, I stayed at Bryce Canyon a few nights, left early one morning, and was at the North Rim in less than 3 hours.

Old 09-08-2022, 08:29 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,140,200 times
I worked there last year, and now here in Bryce Canyon. Great time indeed.

Old 09-09-2022, 11:28 AM

2,346 posts, read 1,740,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
I worked there last year, and now here in Bryce Canyon. Great time indeed.
Sounds like a heavenly job site!

Old 09-11-2022, 05:38 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,063,176 times
just as a bit of historic trivia.....

the South Rim ended up being the much more heavily-developed rim because it was close to the already-existing original transportation routes of the late 1800s and early 1900s (stage lines, railroads, early automobile roads) across northern Arizona.....

yes, most agree the North Rim is more spectacular......for those who can get there, thank an accident of geography for the lack of crowds, better views, and cooler temperatures

Old 09-14-2022, 12:11 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,232,994 times
Are there mom-and-pop or cheap hotel places to stay between Page and the North Rim? Or is the drive from Page kind of required?

Old 09-14-2022, 12:53 PM

There are campgrounds in Jacob Lake AZ. There may be small hotels in that area.

Old 09-14-2022, 08:56 PM

92 posts, read 112,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
Are there mom-and-pop or cheap hotel places to stay between Page and the North Rim? Or is the drive from Page kind of required?
There is a small hotel in Marble Canyon, just west of Navajo Bridge. There is also a small hotel in Jacob Lake. We have not stayed at either. Since the drive between Page and the North Rim is only about 120 miles, we had no need to find an overnight.

If you are in this area, you might consider stopping at Navajo Bridge. The east side parking area has a line of covered stalls where the Navajo sell jewelry and the like. Great prices, and really nice people. Do stop if you can - they can sure use the business.

The west side parking area has restrooms and a visitors center. Also, the bridge is a place where it is fairly easy to spot California Condors. They often sit in the girders under the bridge. This alone makes stopping worthwhile. If you miss the east side parking area, you can park at the west side lot and walk across the old bridge, which was left intact as a walkway/tourist attraction. The old bridge is the best place to look for CA Condors.

Don't count on finding a lot of places to eat between Page and the North Rim. There's just not a lot. I would recommend eating in Page before you head out to GCNP North Rim. Plenty of places in Page.

Old 09-14-2022, 10:44 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
Is there a specific reason to go through Page to get to the North Rim? If you're coming in from Utah, driving through Kanab would be a closer drive to the North Rim (an hour and a half compared to over 2 hours from Page). Kanab has hotels, and I'm pretty sure there's lodging across the state line in Fredonia. Not sure how many of them are "mom & pop", or how cheap they are.

Old 10-03-2022, 07:47 AM

Success! I think. I think I got lucky. I have some sort of confirmation for:

Stay: 2 nights
Adults: 2
Room Number Type: Western Rim View
Rate: Standard Rate

So far so good, I think! Now, I want to make sure, it try to get, cabin #306 which is my first choice, or cabin #301 which is my second choice. There are only 6 cabins that are “Western Rim View”, #301-306, and from what I’ve read 306 and 301 have the best views.

The reason I’m not fully certain is because the web site was very ‘clunky’ and repeatedly telling me I cannot have more than one booking. Which I did not have. Aggravating. So I continued trying to book different cabins in an attempt to get something for the dates I wanted to be there, and in an attempt to book a ‘Pioneer Rim Cabin’ the site told me I had successfully booked a Western Rim View Cabin.

Bizarre website behavior.

But I think I got lucky…! Maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona