Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2022, 07:37 AM

2,340 posts, read 1,735,214 times

Advertisements

After a few phone calls yesterday I was able to confirm that I did get one of the rim view cabins. Yes!! I’m stoked! These are the six cabins in the lower left of this map (I created the custom shortened URL and it is safe):

https://bit.ly/northRimGrandCanyonLodge

This JPEG map is from https://www.grandcanyonforever.com > Lodging Learn More > Pioneer Cabins Learn More > Click Here for Sitemap

After all this, I’m not able to define the definitive way to reserve a rim view cabin. I did test runs in August and September, and then yesterday there was quite a bit of luck. So I wish I could help others who want to book the north rim lodge, but unfortunately I really don’t think I can.

This planned trip is to see the annular solar eclipse on 14 October 2023 in Monument Valley, and things are lining up nicely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2022, 10:03 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post
After a few phone calls yesterday I was able to confirm that I did get one of the rim view cabins. Yes!! I’m stoked! These are the six cabins in the lower left of this map (I created the custom shortened URL and it is safe):

This JPEG map is from https://www.grandcanyonforever.com > Lodging Learn More > Pioneer Cabins Learn More > Click Here for Sitemap

After all this, I’m not able to define the definitive way to reserve a rim view cabin. I did test runs in August and September, and then yesterday there was quite a bit of luck. So I wish I could help others who want to book the north rim lodge, but unfortunately I really don’t think I can.

This planned trip is to see the annular solar eclipse on 14 October 2023 in Monument Valley, and things are lining up nicely.

Congratulations on getting the North Rim cabin! Now you can move on to getting a room reserved at The View or Gouldings, Monument Valley! Don't settle for less!

Old 10-05-2022, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Congratulations on getting the North Rim cabin! Now you can move on to getting a room reserved at The View or Gouldings, Monument Valley! Don't settle for less!
Thanks! And funny you should mention that because I'm already booked at The View at Monument Valley. A friend stayed there and said the views were fantastic, but that the food left a little to be desired. So I'm planning on bringing much of what we'll be eating.

Old 10-05-2022, 11:00 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Quote:
Thanks! And funny you should mention that because I'm already booked at The View at Monument Valley. A friend stayed there and said the views were fantastic, but that the food left a little to be desired. So I'm planning on bringing much of what we'll be eating.

Over in the other thread about Monument Valley you can find some good hints about food in the area! Goulding's has a restaurant. Make sure you plan on watching the sunset from the hotel/the viewing area--the colors of the buttes are out of this world.

Old 10-06-2022, 12:51 PM

Thanks for that tip! I’m checking it out.

Old 10-16-2022, 12:22 PM

Quote:
There are only six cabins that have a rim view. As I understand it (AIUI) these are the best views for any cabin or lodge or hotel room where you can see the Grand Canyon from your room. I’m not considering camping.

I’d like to hear from people who have successfully reserved and stayed at the Grand Canyon North Rim, in a Rim View Cabin. That means your cabin number was one of these six numbers, from 301 to 306, AIUI.
Quote:

Circling back to this, the rim view cabins are confirmed to be these: 301, 305, 306, 309, 310, and 320. Although I haven’t been there yet (but I have been to the North Rim before), one employee I spoke to on the phone has been to these cabins, and stayed in some, and confirmed that these are the best ones. They’re highlighted yellow in the map link above.

I plan to share pictures here after our stay — that’ll be in October 2024. Can’t wait!

Old 09-12-2023, 09:55 AM

Quote:
I plan to share pictures here after our stay — that’ll be in October 2024. Can’t wait!
Correction: October 2023.

Our trip is less than one month away. Here is the summary:

â–  14 Oct Annular Solar Eclipse, Monument Valley
■ 3 nights heading east, Toroweap Overlook, Tuweep Campground, 4,500’ elevation
■ 2 nights Grand Canyon North Rim Lodge, 8,200’ elev
■ 3 nights View Hotel Monument Valley AZ, 6,000’ elev
■ 5 nights Gonzo Inn Moab UT, 4,100’ elevation

Should be a good one and we’re looking forward to it. Thanks for peoples’ help here.

Old 09-30-2023, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Circling back to this, the rim view cabins are confirmed to be these: 301, 305, 306, 309, 310, and 320. Although I haven’t been there yet (but I have been to the North Rim before), one employee I spoke to on the phone has been to these cabins, and stayed in some, and confirmed that these are the best ones. They’re highlighted yellow in the map link above.

More about the strategy to get the best cabin. I called them and those cabins are issued on a first come first saved basis. So I’m going to be starting at Jacob Lake the night before. It’s one hour away so I should be able to get to the north rim early in the morning.

According to what I’ve read, cabin 306 is the absolute best so that’s what I’ll be going for.

Old 09-30-2023, 10:46 AM

The looming government shutdown might hose me. If the feds do shut down then my plans and reservations are screwed.

Old 09-30-2023, 12:17 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
The looming government shutdown might hose me. If the feds do shut down then my plans and reservations are screwed.
Maybe not. Gov. Hobbs said that Grand Canyon will stay open with state funds. The hotels are concession run and might remain open if the park is accessible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona