Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2022, 04:22 PM

2 posts, read 4,130 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if any one could provide their thoughts on what the Casa Grande area might be like to live in?

I am considering purchasing a second home in Casa Grande for my wife and I. This home may only be a vacation/winter home, but it could end up being our primary residence if Oregon keeps going the way it is. That remains to be seen.

My wife and I are 47, and we are fairly active. Access to hiking/trails is desirable even if we have to drive a few miles to get there.

A new or newer 1,500-2,000 SF home would be desirable. Is the market in this area starting to cool down at all?

Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2022, 06:47 PM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
The only reason to be down there is if you have a limited budget. It has all of your chain stores but there’s nothing particularly desirable, besides cheap housing.

Old 12-22-2022, 05:12 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,470,404 times
Currently Casa Grande is an overgrown truck stop that for many folks is simply the place we use for pit stops and to grab a drink in between Phoenix and Tucson. In the future it has the potential to be Arizona's answer to the Inland Empire with a sea of manufacturing plants and logistics warehouses. The car company Lucid has already recognized this and built their manufacturing plant in Casa Grande.

Old 12-22-2022, 08:50 AM

219 posts, read 176,359 times
Why there? I can't imagine choosing to live there, unless I was on an extremely tight budget and was desperate for housing.

Old 12-22-2022, 02:53 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,430,660 times
Casa Grande downtown is pretty. 20 miles west is a lot nature. But also a giant dairy.... They smell.

Old 12-24-2022, 05:19 AM

Have you looked at Oro Valley in Pima County? Close enough to Tucson for entertainment, shopping and good places to eat, but far enough away that Tucson values don't creep up the hill. Plus statistically the safest city in Arizona.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-24-2022 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: No politics please.

Old 12-24-2022, 03:42 PM

2 posts, read 4,130 times
I have not checked out Oro Valley, but I have had my eye on San Tan Valley. Based on my research, it seems pretty nice, but is it a "bedroom community?" I am not sure exactly what that means, but it would be nice to end up some place where there is a community.

Old 12-24-2022, 04:30 PM

The joke I've heard from a few folks, if you want to retire to play golf, move to the Phoenix area. But if you want to retire to hike, climb, mountain bike, go trail running, etc... you move to NW Tucson/Oro Valley.

For the times I need to go to Phoenix, it's a 90 or so minute drive north. The only downside to the Tucson area is that I really enjoy going to northern Arizona and the Grand Canyon. Those used to be day trips from Phoenix, now they are a two day trip with a hotel stay minimum.

Old 12-24-2022, 08:17 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,643,993 times
I moved from the Oregon Coast to east Mesa in 2011. I looked at Casa Grande but ruled it out because it wasn't close to anything. It was OK but it just didn't speak to me if you know what I mean.
San Tan is very nice as is Queen Creek and regardless of what many others will say, it's not that far from the "big city" and both are close to some great hiking areas. Also, 2 VERY NICE lakes are not far. Saquaro Lake is very nice but Canyon Lake is spectacular.
What drew me to this area was the fact that there is so much to do and see very close by.
I love the East valley and all it has to offer.

Old 12-26-2022, 07:22 AM

39,075 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Boy View Post
I have not checked out Oro Valley, but I have had my eye on San Tan Valley. Based on my research, it seems pretty nice, but is it a "bedroom community?" I am not sure exactly what that means, but it would be nice to end up some place where there is a community.
San Tan is a "drive till you qualify" agglomeration of mostly starter homes packed on 5000 sf lots without much character or community. Nothing really wrong with it except it is not convenient to anything, but it is just unremarkable suburbia (as is most of the Phoenix metro, for that matter).

If you are focused on Casa Grande and San Tan then it appears that price point is the primary concern as that is what those areas have to offer above all else. Oro Valley is very expensive - nice, for sure, but expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona