Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 01:15 PM

667 posts, read 2,301,141 times

Advertisements

So, I understand that teenagers & some people like to express themselves with colorful hair, lots of tattoos & piercings. I did the same thing when I was a teen.
But when I was that age & into that kind of self expression, I was not allowed at school or especially at my workplace, which was food service at the time, to show off my wild side.
But, here is Prescott, I've noticed that employers don't seem to mind that their workers have rings hanging out of their noses, spikes sticking out their lips & barbells jutting out of their eyebrows. Sometimes in combination!
Now, I'm obviously not picking on everyone, but I have noticed alot of food service workers with piercings.
Is it appropriate?
In my opinion, NOT AT ALL. It's gross at work. Not everyone shares everyone else's sense of "style."
The only reason I even mention this, is because I've never seen this anywhere else that I have lived in the past,well, not at WORK. When someone is at work, they represent that business. Represent yourself on your own time.
And I've noticed kids at school being able to do this as well. What's the deal? What's with this area & allowing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 04:19 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,020,227 times
I think it's everywhere, really. I don't mind some "conservative" piercings - a small stud in the nose or eyebrow. What really grosses me out are the people that constantly play with their tongue piercing - sticking it out of their mouths, clicking it on their teeth. Ick.

I guess it's up to the employer's descretion to decide. Maybe as long as it's not falling into the food (ugh). One of my favorite restaurants here in Tucson has a cook that has about half of his face covered w/a tattoo (ouch). Luckily, we don't have to watch him work on our food in the back.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:12 PM

8 posts, read 123,316 times
I am pierced, and a "youngin". I am 19 and I have a tongue piercing as well as snake bites (two lip piercings).

I used to work in the food business, but I was told I had to wear clear studs in my lips. My tongue didn't matter, as you can't tell I have it when I talk....and I am not one to play with my tongue ring.

I now work at a laser gifting place, where we don't deal with the public inside our building...so I get to wear my own clothes and my piercings. I work with a lot of older folks as well, and I haven't been looked upon different by them .

Old 11-28-2007, 07:25 PM

162 posts, read 504,002 times
I think there can be an extreme to this but it is really no different than the lady at the Dr. Office where I go with the GIANT Bee Hive and TONS of makeup, IMO she is much more scary than someone with a piercing or a tattoo.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:04 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,020,227 times
How 'bout dreads? I had a friend fired from Chili's because she grew her hair out into dreadlocks.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:12 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoaz View Post
How 'bout dreads? I had a friend fired from Chili's because she grew her hair out into dreadlocks.
We have one like this in my local Trader Joe's... At least he's in a store... not preparing food or anything... OK, I may be prejudiced, but this hair cannot be clean!

Old 11-29-2007, 08:33 AM

162 posts, read 504,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
We have one like this in my local Trader Joe's... At least he's in a store... not preparing food or anything... OK, I may be prejudiced, but this hair cannot be clean!
I agree. Food service..........OK, you gotta be able to have clean hair OR one really huge, durable HAIRNET.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Like I said before, about representing who you work for, some styles of hair, tatts & piercings are fitting. For example, Hot Topic (goth/rock store in just about any mall), the folks who work there are usually tatted & pierced, which is fitting, because that's what THEY are promoting. If you saw a guy with a sports ballcap working there wearing Nike kicks & Suns shirt, most would think, "Hmmmm, what's he doing working HERE?"
And the guy with dreds at a headshop, fitting for the whole hippie thing that that business stands for.
But when you walk into a general kind of food place or store, I believe that the attire should be general as well. It's just fitting for that place. And just because some people are grossed out by seeing a person with SO many holes serving their food or even bagging their groceries.
I would feel better not to see all that, for sure.
And like I said before, I have piercings & had even more at one point in time, but I knew when & where was appropriate.
But yes, after moving here, that was one of the major differences that I noticed after just a few months of living here.

Last edited by collected_eve; 11-29-2007 at 08:39 AM.. Reason: just to add something!

Old 11-29-2007, 10:07 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collected_eve View Post
Like I said before, about representing who you work for, some styles of hair, tatts & piercings are fitting. For example, Hot Topic (goth/rock store in just about any mall), the folks who work there are usually tatted & pierced, which is fitting, because that's what THEY are promoting. If you saw a guy with a sports ballcap working there wearing Nike kicks & Suns shirt, most would think, "Hmmmm, what's he doing working HERE?"
Sure, no argument here. I was just questioning how clean dreadlocks can be.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Sure, no argument here. I was just questioning how clean dreadlocks can be.
SURELY not very.
Though a client at my work will ARGUE that they are perfectly clean & says he has "special dread shampoo."
I find it kinda' funny.
But I guess whatever makes them smell OK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona