Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 01:41 PM

150 posts, read 458,005 times

Advertisements

Never considered a relocation till now. Anyone have some basic tips to get started???

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 01:59 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,024,241 times
Investigate and get extremely familiar with wherever it is that you want to relocate to. Don't rely solely on the advice of forums like this...we can help, but never...absolutely never...relocate to a city or town or any other area without going there, studying and investigating and satisfying your own questions first hand!

Good luck!

Old 08-25-2008, 02:05 PM

150 posts, read 458,005 times
Thanks esselcue! Have you ever relocated??

Old 08-27-2008, 11:09 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,673,894 times
Get the newspaper from where you want to relocate to--we did that when in Florida and it helps you get a feel of the place. Also, visit at least once and ride around--you have to get a feel for it yourself.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teepolo View Post
Thanks esselcue! Have you ever relocated??
Several times, twice within the State of my birth (California) and since...

I relocated from California to Arizona 23 years ago. I knew the area here pretty well and already had a job lined up.

I hope to relocate from Arizona to Idaho after I retire next year. Just need a change. I have been up in that area several times and am going again in about two weeks to explore some more.

It's fun to relocate, I think, but even as I enter my "senior years" I still like adventure!

Best of luck to you!

Old 08-27-2008, 11:58 AM

1,653 posts, read 4,301,438 times
Well, I would think a serious soul searching is first. Sit down and make a list of all the "dream" places you would like to live and then break it down to pro's and con's on each place.

I have been doing my research to move for years. I can say one thing that is important is to travel to the various areas and stay for a few weeks to get a feel for it. Once you eliminate a few areas, go back and revisit the favorites a few times. Make sure you stay during the "extreme" season. So if you are considering AZ, don't just visit for a few days in January and think " Oh this is great". Try staying 3 weeks in August and see how you do.

Also, as someone else suggested, subscribe to the newspaper. I can't tell you how many we have subscribed to over the years. It does help get a better feel for the area.

I read as much as I can on City Data, Sperlings, etc. I ask questions, look at demographic studies compare taxes, insurance, employment, growth, auto registration,etc. Call the local Sheriff's dept. and ask them about the crime. Don't bother asking a realtor, they can't tell you anything negative.

I have found that City Data was a valuable tool. The people will answer any question, give great info, sources,etc.

Good luck

Old 08-27-2008, 01:19 PM

849 posts, read 2,925,066 times
Yes, City Data is very good. Study the crime stats for the specific area you are looking into. Go visit the locations, and like the previous poste stated, stay during different times of the year to fully see how the seasons are..if you can tolerate them or not.
I relocated from California to Tampa Florida, and came out and visited during the summer to truly feel the humidity. I drove around the entire area I was looking into, and got a real feel for traffic and stores in the area. I have been here now for 16 years. Looking into retiring in Arizona now. i have been out to AZ many times, Tucson and Phoenix, and realized they weren't for me. Last year I went to Page, and absolutely loved the area. I plan on relocating there upon my retirement. I intend on returning there next year, during both summer and winter months, and also plan on talking to law enforcement in the area, to get a true gauge of problem areas to stay away from.
Getting a newspaper and checking out the city's homepage and links is a good resource too.
Lastly, talk to people while you are there and you are out shopping. Ask them how they like it there, and what problems there are with the area.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:34 PM

You can read almost every newspaper in America on-line...don't need to subscribe. Just a thought

Old 08-27-2008, 02:36 PM

165 posts, read 512,710 times
Newspapers.com and Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed are good resources. I too am planning to relocate to northern az as soon as my home in SE MI sells. It has been on the market 1 1/2 and I have come down $34,000, I sure picked a bad time . Please keep those fingers crossed for me that I don't have to spend another winter in Michigan...
Debbie SE MI

Last edited by Yac; 09-01-2008 at 08:26 AM..

Old 08-27-2008, 03:21 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,356,188 times
Make sure you stay during the "extreme" season. So if you are considering AZ, don't just visit for a few days in January and think " Oh this is great". Try staying 3 weeks in August and see how you do.

Excellent point! That would eliminate so much of the back-peddling after newbies begin living here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona