Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 05:38 AM

30 posts, read 236,224 times

Advertisements

Just as our youngest son is planning to go to UA in Tucson, and we're considering moving to Arizona too. But where? We're in our mid 50's, self-employed, don't need to commute to a job on a daily basis -- but do need to be within an hour to 1 1/2 hours of a major airport. BEAUTY of surroundings is a big plus with us (we're very visual people). A more easy-going artsy community or local culture would be extremely attractive. We've lived in an upscale community for the past couple of decades, but want to down-size in terms of home size and cost. (Probably would be looking for a quality-built home, 2,250 to 3,000 square feet, maybe in the neighborhood of $500K?) It would be helpful to buy in an area that is believed to be a good investment. Your advice as to areas to check out -- or other sources of information to refer to -- is very much appreciated!!! Thank you in advance!!
Alex
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2007, 06:49 AM

17,798 posts, read 13,698,337 times
This is a tough call as Arizona has a bunch of neat places. However, you will need to decide the type of climate you would like as well as the size of population you would prefer.

Tucson is truly beautiful if you want desert. The bad part is it might be 90 minutes from the desirable parts of Tucson to the airport anymore. I can't really think of any "artsy" type towns that are within 90 minutes of Tucson. Bisbee would be the one town that would qualify going in a southernly direction.

There is nothing east and nothing west. The towns between Phoenix and Tucson are not all that pretty nor artsy.

Sky Harbour is probably close enough to Payson which is a cooler climate but I don't know if it is considered "artsy". Wickenburg supposedly has an arty community but it is deathly hot. Everybody talks about Prescott and Flag but I don't think they qualify for your 90 minute to the airport criterion but they certainly do on your "artsy" and cultural deal.

Arizona has lots of options and is a great place. I went to the UofA years ago and I loved it there.

Old 02-18-2007, 08:13 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
I would check out the Trilogy by Shea Homes in N. Peoria. If commuting is not an issue, this is one very lovely development. There is a golf course, restaruant and the Kiva club with another upscale restarant and gym/ spa etc. The buildings are designed by an award winning architect. The homes are very nice with various architectural detailing so you don't have the same old same old look like some age qualified communities. There are some great deals right now on resales due to the numerous investors coming in last year. The incentives on the new builds are pretty good right now as well. We have new shopping going in across the road that will have a Safeway and various support stores. Four miles down Vistancia blvd we have a super Target center along with a Home Depot/ Lowes and tons of other shops and restarants. You can google www.trilogy.com and see the clubhouse and some of the ammenities. If you go to www.sheahomes.com you can see the floor plans and prices. You would be within 1.5 hours or less from the airport and 45min if there isnt any traffic.

Old 02-18-2007, 08:52 AM

Default N Peoria?

Hi, Thanks for your advice. I searched but found homes from this developer in Queen Creek and Casa Grande. Is this what you were referring to? - Alex

Old 02-18-2007, 08:57 AM

1,477 posts, read 4,406,252 times
I wouldn't classify Trilogy as artsy.

If you want artsy and natural beauty, I would say Sedona or the area around Sedona. It's expensive and a little farther than the 1 1/2 to the airport, but it's very artsy/new age and the scenery is absolutely stunning. My favorite part of Arizona.

Old 02-18-2007, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
This is a tough call as Arizona has a bunch of neat places. However, you will need to decide the type of climate you would like as well as the size of population you would prefer.

Tucson is truly beautiful if you want desert. The bad part is it might be 90 minutes from the desirable parts of Tucson to the airport anymore. I can't really think of any "artsy" type towns that are within 90 minutes of Tucson. Bisbee would be the one town that would qualify going in a southernly direction.

There is nothing east and nothing west. The towns between Phoenix and Tucson are not all that pretty nor artsy.

Sky Harbour is probably close enough to Payson which is a cooler climate but I don't know if it is considered "artsy". Wickenburg supposedly has an arty community but it is deathly hot. Everybody talks about Prescott and Flag but I don't think they qualify for your 90 minute to the airport criterion but they certainly do on your "artsy" and cultural deal.

Arizona has lots of options and is a great place. I went to the UofA years ago and I loved it there.

Thanks for your suggestions. A longer than 90 minute drive to the airport is doable, if no good alternatives are closer. As regards climate, we'd just like to stay away from "deathly hot". Physical beauty of the environment is very important to us. Although I'm coming from the northeast (semi-rural part of Westchester County, north of NYC), I grew up in the west. Four wheel driving the length of Baja in 1972 as an 18 year old (before the road was put in) was a formative experience that left me with a real love and appreciation of the desert.

Old 02-18-2007, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
I wouldn't classify Trilogy as artsy.

If you want artsy and natural beauty, I would say Sedona or the area around Sedona. It's expensive and a little farther than the 1 1/2 to the airport, but it's very artsy/new age and the scenery is absolutely stunning. My favorite part of Arizona.
If you were going to shop housing in this area, what advice would you give? Any local publications you'd suggest getting a hold of? Realtors who are intuitive and are good listeners (meaning that they listen to you when you tell them what you're looking for)? I'm a believer in "location location location", but is there a great location in the general Sedona area, with this scenery, which is not yet super-highly priced? Is there such a thing?
Thanks a ton!!!
Alex

Old 02-18-2007, 09:29 AM

1,477 posts, read 4,406,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAlex View Post
If you were going to shop housing in this area, what advice would you give? Any local publications you'd suggest getting a hold of? Realtors who are intuitive and are good listeners (meaning that they listen to you when you tell them what you're looking for)? I'm a believer in "location location location", but is there a great location in the general Sedona area, with this scenery, which is not yet super-highly priced? Is there such a thing?
Thanks a ton!!!
Alex
Well, first I have to admit that I have never looked for real estate in Sedona, but I would first start out by just doing some basic research online through google. That should give you an idea of what the homes are selling for up there. Of course, many of the homes online may be overpriced or the top of the market, but at least that is a starting point. Second, I would get some realtors and just start calling them and I would call multiple realtors so you can get a feel for each and how much they are yanking your chain. You should also look around Sedona, but the farther you get outside of Sedona, the less artsy it gets. Prescott is a neat town, but it is more country than artsy. It's all what you want.

And I agree with your location mantra; I will willing to sacrifice size for location any day. That's why I lived in a small apartment for so many years in Washington!

Good luck.

Old 02-18-2007, 09:47 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,168,409 times
What about Prescott? I don't know if it's artsy, but I think it fits your other criteria. Lots of people move there to retire. I think it's a beauitful place.

Old 02-18-2007, 11:10 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,168,409 times
To get more of a feel about Sedona, read the current thread about it. It's very informative!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona