Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 03:46 PM

30 posts, read 131,779 times

Advertisements

I really want to move my family to Arizona and if Yuma is not all it is cracked up to be then where? I am looking for a nice town with a nice subdivision and a great school. However, I am not going to spend over $300,000 for a house. I would like a town that has some culture, low crime and prospering. My husband and I will still be young when we move so somewhere that has a good majority of our age (at the move time 40's) and working citizens would be nice. I would like to live amongst citizens that work for a living and do not live off the government. I would like to live where the community is clean and upbeat. I would like some night life not necessarily a bunch of bars. My husband and I are photographers so places near where pictures would be good is nice. We both love love love the outdoors and we would like a place where the climate is warm or warmer not sweltering and the nights are cool not freezing. We are coming from Michigan so I am sure unlike the lifers of Arizona I will love the weather in the first few years of living there. Any advice or helpful city's to google would be great.

Many thanks,
Michelle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 04:48 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,340,457 times
There are MAAANNNYYY places in AZ that are nice with houses less than 300K?!! You just need to search here about all the different cities and see what you like...

I just bought brand new home in Casa Grande (bout 3 hours east of Yuma along I-8). 1900 SF, fully upgraded....for 140K? There are lots of opinions about CG, just like there are about Yuma, good and bad. Big difference honestly between CG and Yuma is its proximity to both Phoenix and Tucson (about an hour to each in opposite directions...).

Otherwise, there are many other choices in that price range?! Some closer to mountains, some more desert...just depends on what you want?

Old 05-06-2008, 03:46 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,017,657 times
SH is right...Arizona is a plethora of towns and cities of all sorts. Yuma would be WAY down on my list of towns, but for those who live there, most like it. It really depends on what you like yourself. If you do not want extremes in weather then you probably should think of northern AZ or at least a higher elevation. Maybe the Verde Valley? Prescott? As I always say to people...come out and drive around a look carefully...in the summer. July, August...then you will have a much better idea of what part of the state you'd like

Old 05-06-2008, 04:08 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,143,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesha73 View Post
and if Yuma is not all it is cracked up to be
And when was THAT? I must've missed it...

Old 06-23-2008, 09:28 PM

1 posts, read 4,035 times
Default new to yuma

My husband and I moved in Feb to the foothills area we decided to move since it's just the two of us. Are kids are grown and would never move here they lived here with us in 95 and they hated it so we moved back to s.cal

My husband applied for his job before we got here we weren't to sure if they would call him for an interview so we kept our fingers crossed and pack our stuff with the hopes that things would work out okay........with in a few weeks he started working, not long after that we found an apartment close to his job. Money is a little tight BUT not as bad as it was in CA.

We don't mind the snowbirds or the heat just miss our kids but we can always use a mini vacation to go see our family in CA, and tx this is a great pit stop

Old 06-24-2008, 09:47 AM

1,240 posts, read 2,238,968 times
Just read your "wish list". How the heck did Yuma become a consideration? I don't like to bash other towns, but wow! (No offense Yuma)
As some others have said, check into the Prescott/Prescott Valley area, or even Payson. Both have good climates and are within a short drive of mountains, forests, and tons of elbow room.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:55 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,152,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesha73 View Post
and we would like a place where the climate is warm or warmer not sweltering and the nights are cool not freezing. We
I'm baffled... apparently you are looking for somewhere that is not overly hot. So why in the world were you *ever* considering Yuma ???
I think Kingman might come closest to having your desired climate, as well as some of your other requirements. Just maybe not the "culture" thing.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:58 PM

2 posts, read 6,641 times
Default try goshen

Goshen, Utah has 987 people an elemntary school and its nice and quite..Vey sinic with Mt nebo at one end and Timpanogaus at the other...john

Old 03-03-2009, 02:44 PM

45 posts, read 171,267 times
Wha?! I love Yuma! I just moved here in December from Phoenix and this is a great town!

Pretty much anything Phoenix and south is going to be "sweltering" hot and the nights up north will be bitter cold in the winter. It does snow in AZ.... But the temps are based on elevations not on north south like the rest of the US, so look at the elevations too.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:25 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times
I think the best climates in Arizona are in the southeast part of the state. Not too hot, not too cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona