Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2008, 09:03 PM

4 posts, read 13,018 times

Advertisements

I currently live just outside Wichita Ks and work in the avaition industry. Unfortunately I have been caught in the whole sub-prime mortgage mess and may loose my job soon due to lay-offs. I am hoping to get enough to finance a low cost move to AZ.

It will be me and my brother and we were planning on maybe a motorhome and a trailer to live in untill we can afford to build. We have both always dreamed of full time camping. What we will be looking for is small acreage that has limited zoning requirements. Also, though I know I probably won't find work in my expertise, we will need work. We are both ok with flipping burgars, delivering pizzas, etc. We will be living pretty cheap to make my severance from work last as long as possible. The real challenge is that we really don't want close to a big city. I have been looking at the area from around Flagstaff to Kingman because there seems to be quite a bit of land for sale. I also drove through there last year on the way to LA and fell in love with Seligman. I am a huge westerns as well as Route 66 fan so the idea of living in the American Southwest as well as close to Old 66 would be incredible.

My question goes out to anybody that lives in the area. Is there work at local burgar joints or other simple jobs? I realize alot of the area of north central Arizona is tourism based but that should mean jobs for entry level positions and with living out of an rv on paid for land we won't need much as long as both of us are working.

I am also looking at the idea that if it doesn't work out then in a year or so we can pack up and come back to Wichita. By then maybe the economy can bounce back enough to get my old job back.

So what do you Arizonians think? Sorry about the long-winded post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 10:01 PM

683 posts, read 2,651,680 times
Check these guys out..............

Evergreen Employment - Jobs

Because of the dry climate, Arizona is known for it's boneyards and storage facilities. You might be able to find a job in aviation.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:39 AM

That's a heck of an idea! I know the biggest boneyard in the US is in Pima and there has to be others so that may be an option. Thanks for the sugestion!

Old 11-10-2008, 07:54 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times
Your plan sounds interesting. Living along Rt66 somewhere seems like a good idea. It's pretty centrally located for exploring the southwest. The prices in Bridge Canyon Estates have really dropped, if you want to be near Seligman. The only thing I worry about is that jobs in very small towns could be scarce. You'll have the locals competing for the few jobs there are. For that reason, you may be better off living within a reasonable commute of a larger city like Kingman. There are countless fast food restaurants and diners, an airport in, plus a slew of boneyards, scrap metal places in Kingman, and tons of other business too. You might be able to buy a small piece of land outside city limits that would suit your needs. Hackberry comes to mind. It is over 20 miles to Kingman, but 65 MPH and no traffic so really not bad. Golden Valley is another possibility, but more expensive.

Bear in mind that a well generally costs more than the price of the land once you get outside city limits. If you don't mind hauling water, you can get property dirt cheap.

Hackberry General Store

Oatman is another place you might want to look at. It's an old mining town turned tourist trap in the mountains about an hour west of Kingman on Rt66. You might have to commute to Fort Mojave for work though (30 mins) or Bullhead which is further.
Oatman

Old 11-11-2008, 04:57 AM

I'm a biker and have a hour long 50 mile ride everyday for work now. With the fuel savings of the motorcycle I can look a little farther outside the bigger citys. I realize I won't be making as much money but my brother will be working as well so we should be okay. He is not working now and I am supporting him untill he can find work. We may be able to get work driving for the railroad.

I have looked into Bridge Canyon Estates and it's my understanding they are very strict on building and may not allow me to set up with campers. If anyone here knows otherwise please let me know.

I am going to look into Oatman and Hackberry now. Thanks for the ideas and I love the pictures!

Later

Old 11-11-2008, 07:39 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al B. Bach View Post
I'm a biker and have a hour long 50 mile ride everyday for work now.
I commuted by motorcycle 100 miles a day myself for three years while I lived in California. It's the best way to commute. Keep in mind that during the winter, it gets down to freezing at night fairly often in the high desert, which is most or all of Rt66 in N. Arizona. A heated vest or jacket is a godsend when it's cold.

Another thing I was thinking -- unless you're planning on keeping livestock, why don't you just rent some space in an RV park? I can think of several. There's a big one at Blake Ranch Rd, on I40, maybe 15 miles east of Kingman. There are also several right in Kingman, and one right on Rt66 5 miles south of Kingman. Interestingly, right across the street from that RV Park is a big dirt area where several people live in RVs and vans. I think one guy's been there for over a year living out of his van.

Another idea -- you can always camp for free on BLM land. I believe the limit is two weeks in any location. So you pick up and move a mile or two every two weeks. There's a great little spot going up Mt. Hualapai outside of Kingman with great views of the city. Honestly, I'm not sure anybody polices them, so whose to know how long you stay in one spot. This whole area is mostly BLM land. It's unlimited.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:48 AM

I actually ride year round now. My personal record is 19 degrees. I even had to ride home in the snow one night! I would have made it all the way except that my linkages all started freezing up on me half way home and I had to stop and call a tow-truck. That was one unhappy tow-truck driver!

Renting is an idea. We are going to try to make the drive down there during Christmas. I'll look at RV parks then.

Thanks

Old 12-25-2008, 03:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,991 times
Default relocating to kingman

My husband and I moved here in '05 from Long Beach, Ca. Didn't have a computer then or I would have done a bit more research into the job market before the move. I would look at the Kingman Daily Miner, (our only daily paper) online for job search, rv parks ect... before making the move.
That website is: kdminer.com. Hope that helps.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:15 PM

509 posts, read 1,698,435 times
Juniper Woods , South Of Ash Fork one can live unmolested by rules and regs . you'd be living of the grid though .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona