Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 12:38 PM

131 posts, read 742,323 times

Advertisements

Rambush, I believe the north side of GC is still closed in April. Read somewhere it doesn't open 'til Memorial Day weekend. Would've liked to have done that rather than the south rim.

Here's a map I found of the springs along the river. Which one is in your pictures above, kdog (looks very serene). I thought they were all only accessible by boat. I guess what you're saying is that some of these places are actually in Nevada.

Hoover Dam Hot Springs Map

Is kayaking upstream that strenuous? Would we be better off renting an outboard. Is overnight camping possible or even desirable.

What's the OP (Old People, Ontario Person, Overwhelmed Princess )?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 01:11 PM

13,221 posts, read 21,844,514 times
Pics were Arizona Warm Springs on that map.

Not sure about the current, it varies depending on how much water they're letting out of the dam. You might check with a kayak forum. Or maybe the Willow Beach marina could give you some info.

People camp on the river shore all the time, so no problem there as far as I know. I've seen people camping at the Boy Scout Springs.

Look at that map again. Everything on the left is in Nevada, and everything on the right is Arizona. The river is the border.

OP = Original Poster. That be you.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:43 PM

106 posts, read 433,815 times
Hey ya'll - I hiked, photographed, and wrote a blog up on my 4th time to "Supi"

Blog at:
HAVASU FALLS, AZ 3/9 - 3/12/08

Additional Pictures at:
HAVASU FALLS, AZ. 3/9 - 3/12/08

Lastly, I see I never completed my blog (I guess I was kind of bored after the 4th time) even thought it is a great, must do hike!

Peace On!

Old 12-23-2008, 09:32 PM

Awesome. Lucky you, Dan. It'll never look that way again.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:28 PM

61 posts, read 216,055 times
My husband was a health care provider to the Supai Village who hiked down there once a month. It was beautiful. I understand (as of a couple of months ago) that there has been alot of damage, but I would go anyway as the hike down to the bottom is very lovely, even if the falls are altered. Other hikes within the National Park part of the Grand Canyon are beautiful as well - You may want to consider one of them until Supai recovers.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:42 PM

I read today on the Havasupai Tribe website, that Supai will not be opening to tourists, hikers, etc. until May 1/09. My husband and I are travelling to AZ at the beginning of April, so it looks like we're out of luck. Damn - I was really looking forward to seeing AZ's Eden >sigh<. I guess we can put Canyon de Chelly back on the itinerary.

Thanks to all for your pics, blog links & advice. See ya in April, AZ.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:10 PM

Thanks for the update, Heather. I wasn't all that impressed with CdC, unless you've really got your heart set on seeing the "Whitehouse" ruins. However, even then, you're viewing them over a fence a couple of hundred feet away. I'd rather spend the time in Monument Valley and/or Canyon Lands (Needles area) if you can fit that in. And don't forget that Page is a must-see.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:34 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,422,888 times
I was told you need reservations to get into that part of the canyon? My roommate hiked down to the falls before and he had to wait 2 months until a spot opened up for him to go.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:10 AM

kdog, yes, I added Page & Slot Canyons to our itinerary. It seemed Monument Valley was a bit out of the way, especially with the North Rim of GC still closed in April. Should we make the trip?

Karma, yes - you need reservations, and we actually made the request in October 'cause of our small travel window, but the flooding seems to have put a halt to everything. Apparently they've just started taking reservations again recently.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:48 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,422,888 times
Good to know, I was not sure.

If you don't mind, how do you make reservations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona