Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 10:16 AM

12 posts, read 26,616 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Arizona in March from BC Canada. We want to move to give our kids a little taste of something different and to give life in the US a try (my husband is American). Where we are now the cost of living is very expensive and there are not many opportunities for the kids (I couldn't even get my 4 year old in soccer because there were not enough kids to make the program viable). We visited AZ in Feb 08, but things have changed so considerably and we are having a very difficult time deciding where to live. We both work from home, so commuting is not an issue, but we would like to be able to enjoy baseball games and NHL games with the kids (so hours outside of PHX is not really practical either). We are coming in March and plan to do some investigating then, but our oldest child starts kindergarten this year so we only have a few months to get settled and I would love a bit of a headstart. When we came last time, Queen Creek looked very appealing for safety, price, proximity to the big city (I know there are traffic issues, but when you are talking about getting to a game or something once or twice a month it really isn't so bad). We love to camp, plan to enjoy atv's and things, and are coming from a relatively small area so being in a safe neighborhood is important as well. We have heard conflicting stories about QC since then; that it has gone completely downhill vs it is still very nice just more affordable. I have also heard that Surprise is better for schools (we have 3 kids so schools are very important) and still affordable and safe and that Goodyear might also be a good option for us. We have had trouble selling our house in Canada so if we are able to get any credit at all, it will be only a little bit because we still have a mortgage in Canada. So depending on where we want to live will decide if we rent or buy (i.e. QC has some houses under $100k that we could probably get a mortgage for). We are also willing to consider owner financing for that reason.

I know this is a long post, but any advice would be appreciated! Being as we have been at this for almost a year (we didn't move immediately because we were having another baby) we have heard that it is hot. Really really stinking hot. My mother has told me that, my dad has informed me that there are no trees or water and that my four year old son will be drafted before I know it. (What I am getting at is that we have enough nay sayers telling us that life will suck - we know it is hot, we know the grass is not always greener but we want to experience it!! If you have negative information that is fine, but please do not tell us not to bother coming. 6 million people live in Arizona and no one has melted from the 120 degree heat, and some of those people even like it! We are coming from somewhere were it rains 200 days of the year - not kidding. Everywhere has it's downside!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 06:58 PM

191 posts, read 612,017 times
You will enjoy the change of climate here in AZ. There are many, many communities that are family oriented and have activities for the kids. Queen Creek is struggling right now due to the numerous foreclosures and short sales there. Gilbert and Chandler have good schools, extensive park systems and are known for being family oriented. The best prices for homes right now are in Queen Creek and Maricopa city. Both of these towns have planned communities with schools, parks and pools within the neighborhoods. Good luck in your search!

Old 01-24-2009, 07:50 PM

39,080 posts, read 51,252,674 times
I'd say look at Goodyear or Surprise or Litchfield Park or even Buckeye? Prices are possibly a little higher than QC, but you are much closer to the NHL games, all the new ballparks, the city, Westgate, shopping, the airport, you name it. The biggest reason for moving to QC is the home prices. I can all but guarantee you that you will NOT want to go to NHL games from QC. You have no idea how grueling that will be - twice a month or twice a year.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:47 PM

Thank you so much for the response - I must say that every time I have asked a question on this forum the responses have been soooo prompt - it's fabulous!

Would either of you (or anyone else) say that schools are better in Surprise/Goodyear vs Queen Creek or are they all struggling with the foreclosure crisis? It is difficult to get information on alot of these schools because they are all so new - they often seem to have a couple of years of poor reports and then an improvement.

I tend to agree that the proximity of everything to Surprise is appealing. But the house prices and the availability of homes (and therefore the chances of us finding an owner finance deal on a house we like) is quite a bit greater in Queen Creek. Is Surprise very scenic (mountains etc.)?

Old 01-25-2009, 07:00 AM

39,080 posts, read 51,252,674 times
First off, let me be sure you understand that Surprise and Goodyear are not close together. They are both west but one is south and the other north. People from Goodyear would never casually take a trip to Surprise and vice versa.

As for the schools, I only know Goodyear. Goodyear has several districts that serve it. The elementary schools are all new, like the homes and generally OK. A couple of them in the Litchfield district and Liberty District (Estrella) are rated very high. Your observation that new schools tend to be low for a couple years then start to improve is correct. I think any of these schools would be fine. The thing that drags on schools is illegal immigrants and neither Goodyear nor Surprise has a great deal of them in the new subdivisions. Two of the High Schools in Goodyear, Millennium and Estrella Foothills in Estrella are rated "excelling" - the highest rating given by the state.

I understand the financial concerns. But you must realize that the adage "you get what you pay for" applies to homes in the Phoenix area too. Homes prices are driven by location, but location reflects convenience, safety and quality of amenities including schools. I wouldn't urge you to bite off more mortgage than you can handle, but I would say take on the max mortgage you can and buy a smaller house for the same money in a good area as a big house in a less desirable area.. Over the years, your pay rises and those fixed (do get fixed) payments seem relatively less. And the faster appreciation of the smaller house in the nice area will allow you to move up more easily to a nicer home.

If you simply can not afford the Gilberts, Surprises or Goodyears or whatever then do what you are doing - look to the fringes. The fringes are going to eventually catch on. You just have to live with the inconveniences until they do. Don't head over to Tolleson or SW Phoenix or somewhere low priced and expect that it is going to go upscale someday. The in-close homes that are bad today are just going to be worse tomorrow.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:25 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,233,098 times
While I can't give you advice on where to move to (I live in Sedona, a good 2 hours from the Phoenix valley) I just wanted to let you know that I moved from BC (Vancouver Island) to AZ and love the change to dry weather. I was freezing in BC even in the summer and am so glad to have said goodbye to that awful (bone chilling) weather. A winter day, even up here in Sedona is much nicer (and often warmer) that a BC summer day. Good luck with your move.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:05 AM

Adventuregurl (I couldn't figure out how to dm you) we are on the Sunshine Coast - practically old neighbors ;-)

I am loving the input & my husband and I just had that conversation regarding QC - if it sounds to good to be true...

We are both doing a bit more research but will likely return with more questions :-) Thank you all again!

Old 01-25-2009, 05:47 PM

12 posts, read 44,652 times
You might try Anthem.
Very friendly for families.... I know of two families that have moved ther.
it is north of metro phx.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:16 PM

7 posts, read 16,267 times
If you are considering Queen Creek, you should also look into Anthem at Merrill Ranch, which is just a short drive down the road. It's a fantastic community complete with a 43,000 square foot community center and a waterpark, which the kids are sure to love! There is also a k-8 school, 60 acre park, and 18 hole championship golf course in the center of the community.

I used to work at the Pulte sales office there before getting transferred to a different community. There are a lot of Canadians who have bought at Anthem at Merrill Ranch, so who knows, you might know some of them Pulte's preferred lender has loan programs for Canadians, too. Check it out, I'm sure you and your family will be very impressed!

Old 01-27-2009, 04:24 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,229,847 times
QC or the Anthems may be a bit out to get to Glendale with any regularity

I live in goodyear and am going to the coyotes game tonight - can go home after work, eat dinner and still make the drop of the puck

I also love spring training and by next year there will be 5 stadiums servicing 9 teams within 20-30 minutes from goodyear - not to mention you can catch AZ Fall League games in Peoria & Surprise and that Goodyear is bidding to have the now defunct HI Winter League moved to AZ and host teams for it

Also both the white tank mountain park and estrella mountain park are within the maricopa parks system, both very easy to get to from goodyear and you can pick up a year pass for $75 .... lots of hiking, nature activities (stargazing, moonlight led hikes, nature education, etc)

the city of goodyear has a very good recreation department with a lot of parks as well

i'd definitely give it a visit when you come out ...... it's on the other end of the world from QC, but it may suit your needs if you can swing it financially

there are a lot of foreclosures in the area so deals are to be found - if you visit and have any specific questions on developments feel free to shoot me a PM ...... you'll probably find the most deals south of the I10 (i know homes in my neighborhood are going in the low 100s)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona