Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 04:01 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,249,400 times

Advertisements

In the past 24 hours, this has happened twice and it has happened just about every time there's an emergency vehicle on the road with it's sirens on (firetrucks and ambulances from what I've noticed): cars will pull to the side of the road when there is not apparent reason for it. By law, are you supposed to pull to the side of the road? I've just never seen this done in other states and I've lived in two other states.

I'm not talking about pulling to the side of the road to get out of the emergency vehicle's way. I'm talking about absolutely no justification for having to do it. No traffic, no obstacles whatsoever for the emergency vehicle. It's just sooo weird to me but hey, if it's the law, then I'll follow it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 04:07 PM

382 posts, read 1,355,454 times
Yes, if an emergency vehicle is coming with lights and sirens on you have to pull over to the side of the road. Even if you are the only vehicle on the road, other than the emergency ones.

The only time you do not have to pull over is when there is a median in the middle of the road blocking the two lanes from each other and you are on the opposite side of the median.

Old 05-23-2009, 04:13 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,339,621 times
I dont think you fully explained your question? At least I didnt get it then? Are you saying when they are STOPPED at a scene on the side of the road? Or do you mean there are other lanes of traffic for them to continue using so why pull over?

If its the latter, then YES, even if there are two lanes of traffic and theres in not obscured, you still are required to pull to the right. The idea being who knows where they are going etc (maybe they will need to turn into a driveway right where you are or something) and just better for us to wait it out a second or two until they pass and then they can do whatever it is they need to do.

Of course an emergency vehicle driver still must have safety as their primary concern....doesnt do much good for the person they are trying to help if they crash on the way!

Finally, dont forget to pull to the LEFT (or opposite if the scene is in the center divide)lane for emergency vehicles that are on traffic stops or accident scenes on the side of the road as this is also law here in AZ (slow down or pull to outside lane).

Old 05-23-2009, 04:26 PM

Yes, I meant the latter. It's just weird 'cuz out in Buckeye, it's pretty much farmland so it's "obvious" that they are going straight. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a rebel - I'm quite the "rule follower" actually! It has just caught me by surprise that the opposite side of traffic has to pull over when it's obvious that the emergency vehicle is going anywhere but straight. Don't worry, I've never broken the law but now I know it IS the law. Thanks!

Old 05-23-2009, 04:43 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
it's been like that all places that i've lived - even my rural home town

glad you took the time to ask

Old 05-23-2009, 05:40 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,913,045 times
Yep--lived in five states and it has been a law in all five, as far as I know. Besides, what does it hurt? It can only help and it doesn't take much on your part.

Old 05-23-2009, 05:59 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
I believe it is The Law, Foma . . . I always pull over and stop.

As others have posted, WHY NOT? "Playing Chicken" with a bazillion pound Fire Truck is anything but a smart idea.

Besides, one of these days, God Forbid, you may be waiting for that emergency vehicle.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:50 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Drivers in Arizona are required to yield the right of way to all emergency vehicles with illuminated red or red and blue lights and sounding a siren, whistle or bell. When an emergency vehicle approaches, you are required to immediately pull as far right on the road as possible and stop your car parallel to the curb or edge of the road. You must remain stopped until the emergency vehicle passes, unless a police officer directs otherwise.

For further information: Traffic Law | Emergency Vehicles Have the Right of Way in Arizona (http://www.vanosteen.com/columns/traffic/emergency-vehicles.asp - broken link)

Old 05-24-2009, 03:34 PM

14 posts, read 77,277 times
It is so funny that you posted this, I was just talking about this with my husband the other day. I have lived in five states and have NEVER seen the amount of people that I see in AZ NOT pulling over when an emergency vehicle is coming through. I have no clue why this is, obviously everyone seems a little confused on this issue.

Old 05-24-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyAnn View Post
It is so funny that you posted this, I was just talking about this with my husband the other day. I have lived in five states and have NEVER seen the amount of people that I see in AZ NOT pulling over when an emergency vehicle is coming through. I have no clue why this is, obviously everyone seems a little confused on this issue.
we must live on opposite sides of town
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: