Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 02:22 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,352,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
I like this style of Arizona plate the best:

The white letters on dark background is good for identification by law enforcement, as well as dark letters on light background. Anything else is just a bit confusing for ID purposes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 12:11 PM

223 posts, read 596,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg13 View Post
The Digital Flat Plate Technology, produced by 3M is the way that almost all new plates are going. At least Arizona doesn't use 3M's standard font, which makes the plate even uglier (see Texas, below).
Someone in our parking lot has the 'Golden Rule' (whatever that is!) plate

The plate seems to offer black text on a dark background! I can't read the numbers even in broad daylight from 15 feet ... the background is way darker than the photo above suggests. Do the police and/or cameras have a way to read these plates better than the human eye - a reflective coating that stands out in some kinds of light, for example? I can't believe they allow a plate design that can't be read easily.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:59 AM

894 posts, read 2,202,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
Someone in our parking lot has the 'Golden Rule' (whatever that is!) plate
Wow really? I by no means try to insult your intelligence, and I apologize if I have.

The Golden Rule. "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

Old 11-06-2009, 10:49 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
and good for 30 years
Not quite, as I just found out. Got a notice my picture had to be updated as it was 12 years old. I've changed my license for other reasons in the meantime, but I kept the existing picture because I liked it. Went to get this done yesterday and it turned out I had to pass an eye test, too. They wanna keep up with our ol' age looks-wise and vision-wise.

The new license still has the original expiration date on it, but I'd imagine there will be other notices like this in the future...

Old 11-06-2009, 12:44 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Not quite, as I just found out. Got a notice my picture had to be updated as it was 12 years old. I've changed my license for other reasons in the meantime, but I kept the existing picture because I liked it. Went to get this done yesterday and it turned out I had to pass an eye test, too. They wanna keep up with our ol' age looks-wise and vision-wise.

The new license still has the original expiration date on it, but I'd imagine there will be other notices like this in the future...
I got that notice a while ago, and I keep forgetting. I'm just not ready for my closeup!

Old 11-06-2009, 12:59 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I got that notice a while ago, and I keep forgetting. I'm just not ready for my closeup!
I don't know if that guy in particular was clueless or they started taking them REALLY close , but my picture is disgusting! Maybe I should've asked him to redo it. I kept my old license and that's what is in front in my wallet with the real one behind, need be. I can't look at this picture!

Old 11-06-2009, 09:59 PM

27 posts, read 62,609 times
Slightly off topic, but regarding Arizona driver's licenses--

I work at a gas station in Nebraska, and accordingly, I have to card many of our customers for alcohol or tobacco purchases, I've seen tons of different driver's licenses, but I believe Arizona's has the longest time between issue and expiration. At least of the IDs I've seen. So here's my question, do Arizona residents typically go the full 30 years before getting new licenses? It would seem odd, you could have a 50 year old woman with an ID with a picture of her at 20 years old. Here in Nebraska licenses expire every 5 years, and even with that, you'd be surprised how different some people look. I'm just curious.

Anecdote- First time I saw an Arizona ID was during my first month or so on the job. The girl buying cigarettes looked exceptionally young, and her ID said 22 or so. I saw the expiration date and accused her of having a fake. It took my manager coming out and vouching for the authenticity for me to believe it. Learn something everyday!

On topic, though. Yes, Arizona's license plates are gorgeous. My home state of New Jersey has some of the most God ugly plates in the country. They're designed to look like faded, yellow, rusty tags. In 18 years in New Jersey, I never saw a plate that didn't stick out like a sore thumb on a car.

Edit: Nevermind! Looks like I should read more closely next time. 12 years is a long time, though!

Old 11-06-2009, 10:12 PM

977 posts, read 1,957,258 times
New Jersey's plates don't look rusty at all. Arizona's (and Missouri's) old maroon ones do. New Jersey's are just boring, and annoying because they have a wierd format, like Florida. They need 7 digits too.

Quote:
Someone in our parking lot has the 'Golden Rule' (whatever that is!) plate The plate seems to offer black text on a dark background! I can't read the numbers even in broad daylight from 15 feet
I am not sure where Arizona is going with some of these new optional designs. Some are just too dark, like that one, and others, like the Environmental and Arizona Roads Magazine designs are just wierd. The Magazine one in particular reminds me of the Pennsylvania Flagship Niagara plate with the white numbers. Except not as bad-ass.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:31 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexyz2618 View Post
Slightly off topic, but regarding Arizona driver's licenses--

Edit: Nevermind! Looks like I should read more closely next time. 12 years is a long time, though!
Well! I can tell you I look EXACTLY like that picture that was taken....how many years ago? I can't understand why they want me to get a new one...

Old 11-08-2009, 02:28 AM

223 posts, read 596,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDesertRat86 View Post
Wow really? I by no means try to insult your intelligence, and I apologize if I have.

The Golden Rule. "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."
I was not born in, and did not grow up in, the US. The phrase you speak of ("Do unto others as you would have them do unto you") is something I'm very familiar with, and has great value, but it was never called 'the golden rule' as far as I can remember. Wikipedia has more on the subject ...

So anyway ... what's with the "black on dark" barely readable license plates, guys?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona