Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 12:32 PM

19 posts, read 36,112 times

Advertisements

Looking for advice,
I will be flying to Arizona from the UK part business and part pleasure. The pleasure side will involve a road trip from Phoenix to the Sky Walk then heading south to Tombstone. Along the way I intend to visits as many places as possible and enjoy some bars (pubs).

I really like country music and bars. Whilst in Calgary last year I had a night in a bar called the Palomino Smoke House The Palomino, Calgary Live Music, BBQ, Stampede 2009 it was a brilliant night and I imagine Coyote Alley in Surprise will be similar. Can any of you recommend bars of this type and places I should visit? Equally important can any of you recommend places I should not visit or areas I should avoid if there are any.

I always find the best tourist information is the real people that live there.

Hope you can help me

Thank you.

PS: I am a photographer so I will be looking for some beautiful shots if you can suggest any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 03:14 PM

39,080 posts, read 51,252,674 times
If you like the old west stuff, then check out Old Tucson. Old Tucson is a movie set for western films and a popular tourist stop. The AZ-Sonora Desert Museum, right next to Old Tucson and adjacent to Saguaro National Park is a must for a Euro. The flora and fauna here in the AZ desert are unique in all the world and certainly unlike anything in Britain. The saguaro "forest" near there boggles the mind. My European relatives all loved Old Tucson, Tombstone and the AZ/Sonona Museum. The old, Old Tucson burned down a few years back and I haven't seen the reconstruction. So maybe someone can help with that.

There is a still-functioning Spanish Mission (San Xavier del Bac) in the same general vicinity that is worth seeing as well.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:57 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,837,587 times
Phoenix and especially Tombstone are in southern Arizona. The Skywalk is in Grand Canyon West, which is in the northwest corner of the state, so you'd have to go way out of your way to see it. When most folks think of the Grand Canyon, they're usually thinking of the South Rim, which is further east, and really nowhere's near GC West. GC West is a really cool place to visit. But it's hard to get to, and it's owned by the Hualapai Indian tribe who scalp you on the entrance fees. Figure $75/person to get out onto the Skywalk. Although that does include about a half-day tour of the area, recreated Indian and Cowboy villages, and lunch. Also bear in mind that they don't allow cameras on the Skywalk (which is why you'll never catch me on it.)

I don't know about Phoenix, but you won't find many interesting country bars in northern AZ. There may be something like that in Wickenburg which is an hour north of Phoenix. You would go through Wickenburg if you did decide to visit GC West. Wickenburg is a cool little cowboy town and worth a stop. Go to Sedona maybe? That's not as far out of your way. Even the South Rim would be a lot closer than GC West. The South Rim is owned by the National Park Service and only costs $20 per car to enter.

Anyway, there's tons to do and see in AZ. But it's a big state and the attractions are spread out. It all really depends on how much time you have to spend. I'm an avid photographer myself, but I'm really most familiar with the northern part of the state.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:33 PM

19 posts, read 36,112 times
Thanks for that information, I will have a total of 10 days to do the travelling. The skywalk limitations regarding your own photography as put me off a bit. If I wasnt to visit the Skywalk where is the best place to see the G/Canyon? Can you give me a name of a town near by that I could use as a reference point.

Reference the bars, How about country rock I quite like modern country as well. Any ideas?

Thanks for the assistance so far.

Cheers

Old 11-04-2009, 04:51 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,340,545 times
As mentioned, some of the things you want to see are pretty spread out. You might consider spending a few days in Page - Antelope Canyon is an AMAZING place to visit and take photos (noon tour is best for photos) and Glen Canyon and the Glen Canyon Dam is pretty cool too - very scenic. It's also pretty centrally located to a lot of sites (within 3 hours or so) in all directions - including the south rim of the Grand Canyon, the Painted Desert, Zion National Park & Monument Valley. Be sure and at least pass through (if not stay) in Sedona (absolutely BEAUTIFUL).

In the direction from Phoenix - if you like the old west, you'll love Tombstone.

Ken

Old 11-04-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by british View Post
Thanks for that information, I will have a total of 10 days to do the travelling. The skywalk limitations regarding your own photography as put me off a bit. If I wasnt to visit the Skywalk where is the best place to see the G/Canyon? Can you give me a name of a town near by that I could use as a reference point.

Reference the bars, How about country rock I quite like modern country as well. Any ideas?

Cheers
The view from the South Rim overlooks will be quite satisfying, more so than from the skywalk. I have not been to the SkyWalk itself, but have been on the western rim and it is not the best view. The best view is probably from the north rim, but that will be closing for winter pretty soon now. Towns that people over night in before going to the Canyon include Flagstaff, Williams and Tusayan. Sedona is also possible and if you are a photographer you have to get a shot or two of Sedona/Oak Creek. It has to be among the most photographed landscapes in the world.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:18 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,440,674 times
If you're already up north by the Canyon, you could always go to the western edge of the state to the town of Lake Havasu - and see the London Bridge

Sorry, someone had to say it

Old 11-04-2009, 06:44 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,706,964 times
Just show up in Tombstone and listen for the music

Old 11-04-2009, 06:49 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,706,964 times
Quote:

Cheers
Mather Point and then drive easst along the south edge to the tower. Come out the east gate. From there you can head for Lake Powell or Monument Valley, or back to Flagstaff. If you head back to Flag detour into Wupatki and Sunset Crater, once your on that road notice that you are following the road used in Easy Rider. South of Flagstaff on 89 is Slide Rock a natural waterslide then Sedona

Old 11-04-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:

Cheers
PHX does not have as many country places as you might think. The biggest one I know of is Rockin Rodeo which is one of 4 "rooms" at Graham Central Station in Tempe. It has a very large dance floor. Another place I am vaguely familiar with is Whiskey River Saloon. I think it is in north Phoenix. I recall it being packed with hotties and I don't mean wings. LOL, do you know what "wings" are?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona