Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2006, 02:34 AM

217 posts, read 1,003,132 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. Are you full of turkey? I was talking to my brother and he was telling me that Green Valley was a nice place to live in AZ. I read up on it and it is pretty much a retirement city. The weather there seems to be pretty good; not too hot and surely not too cold. Has anyone lived there or been through that area? The housing seems strange to me, or I didn't find the right area to look at. I didn't see a single house with a garage. All the homes have carports only that I could find. Is that the norm for AZ in general? If you have any info, I would love to hear what ya' got to say. Stay safe, skitow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2006, 05:53 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitow View Post
Hi everyone. Are you full of turkey? I was talking to my brother and he was telling me that Green Valley was a nice place to live in AZ. I read up on it and it is pretty much a retirement city. The weather there seems to be pretty good; not too hot and surely not too cold. Has anyone lived there or been through that area? The housing seems strange to me, or I didn't find the right area to look at. I didn't see a single house with a garage. All the homes have carports only that I could find. Is that the norm for AZ in general? If you have any info, I would love to hear what ya' got to say. Stay safe, skitow.
You must be looking at older homes. When I came to AZ in the 70s most new houses had carports. Garages became the rule in the 80s. Today, the trend is 3500 sf two-stories on 4500 sf lots with 2-3 car garage. GV is indeed a place where people come to die. We used to call it "Wrinkle Valley" when I lived down that way. Back then it was somewhat isolated, but on a recent trip I was shocked to see that it is now part of the Tucson sprawl. It's basically a 'burb for the aging. It looks nice meaning stucco homes on tidy streets with nearby shopping and medical and chain eateries. It will be cooler than Tucson but not by much. After you visit San Xavier, Tubac and Nogales you have about exhausted your options on what to do. So shopping, shuffleboard, and surfing the web must fill your days.

Old 11-24-2006, 07:14 PM

Default Green Valley

Thanks Ponderosa for the info. I think I'll pass on GV. I'm sure I'd get bored real quick living there. Thanks again, skitow.

Old 11-25-2006, 10:13 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitow View Post
Thanks Ponderosa for the info. I think I'll pass on GV. I'm sure I'd get bored real quick living there. Thanks again, skitow.
Well, don't take (just) my word for it. If you are interested in the area near Tucson, you might also want to check out Rio Rico. They are not age-restricted and have quite a variety of housing options. I recall that Rio Rico had a shady past with the promises they made but did not deliver to buyers, but thanks to some lawsuits turned out OK, I guess. Same problem with things to do, though, all the action is in Tucson.

Old 11-25-2006, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Well, don't take (just) my word for it. If you are interested in the area near Tucson, you might also want to check out Rio Rico. They are not age-restricted and have quite a variety of housing options. I recall that Rio Rico had a shady past with the promises they made but did not deliver to buyers, but thanks to some lawsuits turned out OK, I guess. Same problem with things to do, though, all the action is in Tucson.
I'll check it out, thanks, skitow

Old 11-26-2006, 08:06 AM

21 posts, read 98,166 times
Default Green Valley

Hi Skitow. There is so much to do in Green Valley. There is every imaginable thing to do,sports, games, clubs etc. Your days will be full or just relax. It has changed from the old days, and it is only half hour from Tucson. Take the time to check it out. I hope you enjoy. Scottyc

Old 11-26-2006, 07:26 PM

Default scottyc

scottyc. Thanks for your post. Everyone has a different opinion about the same place. That's a good thing. If we all felt the same way, everyone in the world would want to live in the same city. Can you imagine what the operators of the public sewer system would be going through? I can't say it but, ****! Getting replies and different points of view really helps people figure out a starting point. I know the areas to start my search now, and the areas to avoid. I guess you live around Green Valley somewhere. I may be driving by you this spring. skitow

Old 05-15-2009, 12:42 PM

5 posts, read 14,040 times
Default Update on Green Valley

It has been a long while since the last GV posting. There are many homes for sale there. Is this typical for GV? The property values are similar to everywhere else; down by a lot. How do active people enjoy living there? Do the restrictions put a damper on your life style or are they common sense restrictions?

Most of the (less expensive) homes we've looked into for snowbird property have only one parking space/carport. Google street maps never show any cars on the street. Where do people with 2 cars park??? Where does your guest park? Do we have to sell our car?

Any updated advice on GV would be appreciated. We are active boomers who don't ususally fit into the cookie-cutter mold, but don't want to live in a neighborhood that is loud, roudy, trafficky and full of drama (did I forget to mention crime?) Any suggestions? Have a good day!

Old 04-28-2010, 10:01 AM

1 posts, read 3,531 times
I dig Green Valley. I'm a baby boomer from back east and I was very impressed with the town. Beautiful weather, golf courses all over, you can ride around town in a golf cart if you want, Madera Canyon is very close by and is quite a bird sanctuary - beautiful hiking and very scenic. I was also impressed with how clean the area was, and how laid back it is. The stores and restaurants are not like you find in a big city, but I'll trade that any day for civility, serenity and natural beauty. Old people are cool, they're patient, laid back and have rich experience. Close to Tucson for good eating and gourmet shopping, close to Mexico and Puerto Penasco (when the drug cartel finishes killing themselves off), Phoenix and Sedona a few hours away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona