Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 11:29 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,520,262 times

Advertisements

"2 months is right. April is already to hot during the day."

Highs in the mid 80's are too hot for you?

I don't start minding the heat until it reaches the upper 90's. Even then, it's not too bad. Once it get's into the hundreds (very late May through early September), that's when it gets tough; however, it's not hard to cope with some common sense (stay indoors during the "heat of the day", drink lots of water, keep the a/c blowing, etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 11:58 AM

570 posts, read 1,753,886 times
Mid 80s still feels hot to me when I'm active outside.
It's perfect for relaxing in the shade.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:45 AM

119 posts, read 313,225 times
What`s it like in Tonopah? I plan on buying there in 2 years and retire.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:46 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,577,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPa View Post
What`s it like in Tonopah? I plan on buying there in 2 years and retire.
A question I have for people asking questions like this:

Why would one plan on buying somewhere if one doesn't have even a little insight as to how it is somewhere?

Old 03-03-2010, 04:57 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,839,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post

Why would one plan on buying somewhere if one doesn't have even a little insight as to how it is somewhere?
This is where they come back, slightly irate and tell you they actually know quite a bit about the town, but they were looking for a little more info. Of course, it's left as an exercise to the reader to guess what kind of information they actually need.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post

1 Because someone`s doctor suggested moving to Arizona.
2 Realestate prices are cheap in Tonopah
3 Taxes are cheap in Tonopah
4 crime rate is low in Tonopah
5 Tonopah isn`t heavily populated
And because an old woman should be able to live where she want to live.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:53 PM

Just don`t give me any info if it`s too much for you, I thought the forum was for chatting about Arizona. No i`m not angry at all just confussed at the last 2 responses.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:58 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,577,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPa View Post
Just don`t give me any info if it`s too much for you, I thought the forum was for chatting about Arizona. No i`m not angry at all just confussed at the last 2 responses.
I'm not trying in any way to be rude, but just imagine this in a real life conversation:

"Hey MaryPa!"
"Hey, you!"
"How's it going?"
"Wonderful, and you!?"
"Great as well, what's new in life?"
"I'm planning on moving to Tonopah, AZ!"
"Oh that's nice, have you been there before?"
"No, I actually don't know a thing about it, but someone's doctor told them to move to Arizona..."
"Um...alright..."

It just doesn't sound right. Also, when initially asking about a place, list specifics about what you want to know. No one is a mind reader...

Old 03-06-2010, 08:53 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Tonopah is not much and it is odd that someone out of the blue would choose that as a retirement venue. Tonopah is a cluster of mobile homes surrounding a truck stop. Vegetation is sparse - mostly creosote and scraggly palo verde trees. As you move out into the desert, larger lots 5 acres and up predominate with the mobile home - some nice doublewides, some ramshackle with assorted junk on the lot. To a city-slicker, it looks pretty red neck out that way. Some of the people who live there work in the city. They tolerate the drive better than they tolerate other people living near them. It's a long way to real shopping, doctors, hospitals buffets, etc that older people might care about. But it is wide-open spaces Arizona-style, if that is what you seek.

Rainbow Valley located in the general vicinity of Rainbow Valley Road south of the Gila River offers pretty much the same lifestyle but a lot closer in.

Another area to investigate is 335th Avenue south of I10. This exit is before you get to Tonopah from Phoenix. There are dozen and dozens of mobiles on acreage there - maybe hundreds of properties in all. Lots of horse people and others who like or need a little elbow room. It might be in the Arlington AZ zip code/area if you are looking at real estate sites.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 03-06-2010 at 09:38 AM..

Old 03-06-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Tonopah is not much and it is odd that someone out of the blue would choose that as a retirement venue. Tonopah is a cluster of mobile homes surrounding a truck stop. Vegetation is sparse - mostly creosote and scraggly palo verde trees. As you move out into the desert, larger lots 5 acres and up predominate with the mobile home - some nice doublewides, some ramshackle with assorted junk on the lot. To a city-slicker, it looks pretty red neck out that way. Some of the people who live there work in the city. They tolerate the drive better than they tolerate other people living near them. It's a long way to real shopping, doctors, hospitals buffets, etc that older people might care about. But it is wide-open spaces Arizona-style, if that is what you seek.

Rainbow Valley located in the general vicinity of Rainbow Valley Road south of the Gila River offers pretty much the same lifestyle but a lot closer in.

Another area to investigate is 335th Avenue south of I10. This exit is before you get to Tonopah from Phoenix. There are dozen and dozens of mobiles on acreage there - maybe hundreds of properties in all. Lots of horse people and others who like or need a little elbow room. It might be in the Arlington AZ zip code/area if you are looking at real estate sites.
Thank you so much for the input. To me it doesn`t matter how rich or poor my neighbors live so the trailors are no problem. I`ve been looking at a couple homes ( not trailors ) online thru Zip reality. The realtor has send me some nice homes but I was just concerned about how safe it would be for me to live alone there. I`m 60ish but young at heart and would like to have my horses with me.
To the others, i`m sorry i don`t know how to use the forums properly but I will learn better manners. I didn`t realize I was offensive. Have a BLESSED day !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona