Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 12:23 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
If they're operating illegally, how does that not justify an investigation?
As Greatday already explained, the basis of the lawsuit is that Redflex is conducting "investigations" without a private investigator's license. The problem is, they aren't "investigating" anything.

Whether Redflex should be the SUBJECT of an investigation for some reason is a completely different subject, and is not what the lawsuit is about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 01:02 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,418,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
As Greatday already explained, the basis of the lawsuit is that Redflex is conducting "investigations" without a private investigator's license. The problem is, they aren't "investigating" anything.

Whether Redflex should be the SUBJECT of an investigation for some reason is a completely different subject, and is not what the lawsuit is about.
I looked around online, and from what I read the "private investigation" comes from the research and information used to serve the ticket, as well as the information used against you in court.

The same thing happened in Texas, and it got dismissed, so that will probably happen here.

There's always hope!

Old 11-21-2009, 03:33 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
If they are turning them over to a licensed process server to handle, I don't see the issue. The government agency can, and I assume does, get the address information.

The best hope for opponents is to get it on the ballot.

Old 11-21-2009, 04:47 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
All of this BS is ridiculous . . .

Wouldn't SLOWING DOWN and RESPECTING THE LAWS as well as THE OTHER DRIVERS be a much simpler and less expensive approach for everyone involved?

Old 11-21-2009, 06:05 PM

849 posts, read 2,923,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post

Wouldn't SLOWING DOWN and RESPECTING THE LAWS as well as THE OTHER DRIVERS be a much simpler and less expensive approach for everyone involved?
Trust me, Bummer..I can see your point and you are right. HOWEVER...have you ever received a photo radar ticket? I received one this year traveling through Louisiana. After you receive one of these things, you tend to have a much different point of view about those lousy things. I have ABSOLUTELY no issue if I get pulled over by a trooper and get issued a ticket, because I can look down at my speedometer at the very moment I know I get caught and KNOW I was in the wrong. With these ridiculous photo radars, I get a ticket in the mail telling me at some odd location I got zapped doing 75 in a 65...and I don't know at all if I was really going that fast. Furthermore, these cameras are notoriously placed at areas where there are drastic speed reductions, in my case it was a 70 mph zone that dropped to a 65, and I got zapped right where it switched. LAME!
These things are nothing more than revenue-generators for the local agency that uses them, and they offer very little in the way of education and visible enforcement! The idea behind speeding enforcement is a POLICE PRESENCE that helps deter speeders! You would have better luck slowing down drivers by parking an unmanned cruiser on the side of the road with a mannequin inside it...we have those here too, and they do a lot more to slow people down than some obscure van parked on the side of the road.
This is the LAZIEST form of traffic enforcement. I'd rather they spend the money to hire warm bodies and put them out on the street stopping people.
You'll find that most of the people against photo radar enforcement have received them before, and it truly feels like a scam. "Pay with a credit card when you get the ticket and have a nice day" kind of nonsense. I personally have no problem if I get a ticket from a flesh and blood cop, but not from some goobers hiding in a van on the side of the highway.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:15 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich67 View Post
Trust me, Bummer..I can see your point and you are right. HOWEVER...have you ever received a photo radar ticket? I received one this year traveling through Louisiana. After you receive one of these things, you tend to have a much different point of view about those lousy things. I have ABSOLUTELY no issue if I get pulled over by a trooper and get issued a ticket, because I can look down at my speedometer at the very moment I know I get caught and KNOW I was in the wrong. With these ridiculous photo radars, I get a ticket in the mail telling me at some odd location I got zapped doing 75 in a 65...and I don't know at all if I was really going that fast. Furthermore, these cameras are notoriously placed at areas where there are drastic speed reductions, in my case it was a 70 mph zone that dropped to a 65, and I got zapped right where it switched. LAME!
Here in Arizona, the Photo Radar fixed unit positions are out in the open, along highways where the speed limit is constant. There are signs that advise drivers of the photo radar coming up (usually twice).

The mobile photo radar vans do get relocated - but once again, advance warning that photo radar is ahead is given - at least a 1/2 mile warning.

And, when the camera light flashes - and its very bright - you can look at your speedometer all you want because they "Gotcha".

Old 11-21-2009, 06:19 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post

Hello Bummer,

There is no use lying about it, I am a lead footed driver, so if I get a photo radar ticket, I deserve it. However, my friend is a very responsible driver who obeys the traffic laws. Although he has never gotten a photo radar ticket (or any traffic ticket for that matter), these cameras are affecting him negatively. He told me now the freeways are now more dangerous because people are constantly slamming on their brakes because of the cameras. He also said the general flow of traffic is now much lower than the posted limit because everyone is paranoid about these cameras. Of course the cameras do some good, and some bad, but they are doing more bad than good. I am afraid to even visit my friend anymore because of these things. They need to go IMO.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:25 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Here in Arizona, the Photo Radar fixed unit positions are out in the open, along highways where the speed limit is constant. There are signs that advise drivers of the photo radar coming up (usually twice).

The mobile photo radar vans do get relocated - but once again, advance warning that photo radar is ahead is given - at least a 1/2 mile warning.

And, when the camera light flashes - and its very bright - you can look at your speedometer all you want because they "Gotcha".
Unless something has changed since I left Arizona in March of 2006, this is definitely not true. I got nabbed many times in both Scottsdale and Paradise Valley. They would purposely hide the vans behind bushes and shrubs so you could not see them advance. Lincoln road from about 32nd street to Scottsdale road was notorious for this. Also, there was never any signs warning of them.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:31 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Unless something has changed since I left Arizona in March of 2006, this is definitely not true. I.

Things have changed in the last 3 years

Old 11-21-2009, 06:47 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Regardless of this suit we need a Ballot measure prohibiting the use of cameras for traffic enforcement, period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona