Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2010, 08:18 PM

932 posts, read 1,964,134 times

Advertisements

East Valley verses West Valley, which do you think is more URBAN or is atleast headed in that direction.
Remember East Valley has Mesa( most populated suburban city in the U.S), Chandler( high tech industies and high wealth commercial companies), Gilbert, and other cities.
West Valley has Glendale( becoming a major entertainment hub), and all of those booming towns that are reclaiming the farmland.
West Valley's population is at an ever increasing 750,000
East Valley's population is probably inbetween 875,000 to 1 million
In my opinion I think East Valley is( I live on this side anyways), but the West Valley continues to please its citizens with more modern venues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 08:22 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,067,197 times
how do you define "urban"?.....

didn't both those areas get there decades ago, especially with those population figures you mention?....

Old 01-04-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
how do you define "urban"?.....

didn't both those areas get there decades ago, especially with those population figures you mention?....
Well I mean like having many walkable established neighborhoods, lots of apartments and a mid-rise here and there, maybe some more density like more 4-6 story buildings built right next to a few mid-rise banks. Right now I'm describing downtown Mesa and a few areas like it.
Well... I guess they did get there a while ago, but what I was asking was which turned out to be more urban or which side is going to become more like that

Old 01-04-2010, 08:52 PM

the U of P stadium area may be trying to get there in Glendale....the downtown Scottsdale area is there, for sure, I guess...Metrocenter area?....Dysart/Litchfield/I-10 area??...Kierland area in N Scottsdale?....downtown Tempe/ASU?.....Ray Rd and I-10 area?....

just throwing out ideas....I don't know every area of the valley....

trouble with most western US metro areas is land has been so plentiful that growth was "out" rather than "up"....so few high-density areas develop....but there are fantastic exceptions like Portland, Seattle, SF, areas of SLC, Santa Fe.....

Old 01-04-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
the U of P stadium area may be trying to get there in Glendale....the downtown Scottsdale area is there, for sure, I guess...Metrocenter area?....Dysart/Litchfield/I-10 area??...Kierland area in N Scottsdale?....downtown Tempe/ASU?.....Ray Rd and I-10 area?....

just throwing out ideas....I don't know every area of the valley....

trouble with most western US metro areas is land has been so plentiful that growth was "out" rather than "up"....so few high-density areas develop....but there are fantastic exceptions like Portland, Seattle, SF, areas of SLC, Santa Fe.....
I really don't know every part of the valley either but yeah definetly Tempe/ASU, Scottsdale, and maybe the Biltimore area, also and there is an area near Papago park that is on the borderline of Tempe and Scottsdale where there a bunch of commercial mid-rise developement there. It's kind of close to Sky Harbor but then its not. Sorry about the horrible location directions.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:13 PM

yeah, forgot about the Biltmore/24th St/Camelback area...definitely urban and walkable...

that other area is around Priest/Washington/202 area, right?....seems a little more commercial/office-y than walkable neighborhood, but it does have those mid-rise buildings for sure!....along the light rail, too, right?

now that I think about it, anything along current and future light-rail routes would qualify as urban, I think....Central and Camelback is OK, but maybe a little TOO urban?....

Old 01-05-2010, 06:03 AM

Quote:
yeah, forgot about the Biltmore/24th St/Camelback area...definitely urban and walkable...

that other area is around Priest/Washington/202 area, right?....seems a little more commercial/office-y than walkable neighborhood, but it does have those mid-rise buildings for sure!....along the light rail, too, right?

now that I think about it, anything along current and future light-rail routes would qualify as urban, I think....Central and Camelback is OK, but maybe a little TOO urban?....
Yeah I guess. agree with you on that on anyplace along the light rail is urban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona