Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 06:35 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,716,215 times

Advertisements

Who said the Red Light Cameras were GOING AWAY?

Quote:
TUCSON, AZ (KOLD) - The City Council has approved four new red light cameras at various intersections in town.

Councilman Rodney Glassman said Tuesday that the council has decided to expand the program.

Tucson Police spokesman Sgt. Diana Lopez confirmed the move to install more cameras.
With an 80% plus drop in accidents at the existing intersections with Red Light Cameras . . . this makes perfect sense to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 06:40 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,258,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Who said the Red Light Cameras were GOING AWAY?

With an 80% plus drop in accidents at the existing intersections with Red Light Cameras . . . this makes perfect sense to me.
Bummer,

I for one would love if they would go away. It is an electronic invasion of privacy. Regardless, if I never move back to Phoenix, I still have to worry about these cameras invading Nevada.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:44 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,279,391 times
The Speed / Red Light Cameras are here....And Gone! It depends on the locale. Some cities (like Gilbert I believe) are getting more. Scottsdale is turning them off.

The cameras may be dismantled on the states highways....but more added in Phoenix.

And somehow - I think Nevada will get the cameras.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:54 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,711,706 times
This is why we need a proposition to outlaw the use of Cameras to enforce traffic laws

Old 03-23-2010, 09:47 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,151,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
This is why we need a proposition to outlaw the use of Cameras to enforce traffic laws
And what is wrong with red light cameras? I hate it when some asshat blows a light that is clearly red.

Even the speed cameras are OK since their presence is clearly posted before 'tripping one'..............too, there is a 10 MPH 'grace' (they flash at 75 MPH where the posted speed limit is 65 MPH for example).

Old 03-23-2010, 10:00 PM

44,640 posts, read 61,661,969 times
Driving is not a constitutional right but a "privelege", and with that privelege comes the responsibility to obey the laws and drive safely. If you are going to be an irresponsible driver then you need to pay the price.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:27 PM

13,215 posts, read 21,842,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Driving is not a constitutional right but a "privelege"
No it's not. It's a "privilege.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:51 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,716,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Driving is not a constitutional right but a "privelege", and with that privelege comes the responsibility to obey the laws and drive safely. If you are going to be an irresponsible driver then you need to pay the price.
ABSOLUTELY, Nitram . . . I could not agree more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
No it's not. It's a "privilege.
You're BAD, Kdog. ! ! ! ! ! !

Old 03-23-2010, 11:03 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,275,952 times
As much as I would like to see the SPEED cameras removed, I have few complaints about red light cameras. Running red lights is much more serious, and more accidents/lost lives have resulted due to those who run through red lights than by driving 10 or 15 MPH over the posted limit.

The only thing I don't like about the use of red light cameras is when there's an extra "buffer" ahead of the crosswalk line for the purpose of generating more tickets. I've known people who have been ticketed for driving through what legally should have been yellow lights, but that extra line above the crosswalk acts as a target for the camera to flash ... and in that case, it's likely to generate more tickets for increased revenue (even if the driver was not technically going through a red light).

BTW, red light cameras are not limited to Arizona. Practically every state now uses them to a certain point. It is the speed cameras which seem to have made Arizona notorious, although they can be found in other parts of the nation too (just not used as heavily as in Arizona).

Old 03-24-2010, 09:56 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,898,206 times
The only time I’ve seen cameras “flash” is when someone has ran the red light or had been speeding on the freeway in the fast lane. The cameras may add revenue for the cities and state, but they also tend to keep the traffic under control and following the law, the same law that all the other drivers are obeying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona